Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

1 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

BP escaped his enclosure!

About 2-3 hours ago I left for the movies, my newly acquired 4 years old ball python decided to test the limits of it's enclosure tonight again (I think it's normal since I just got her) but looks like she succeeded, when I came back and opened the door to my room, I noticed I was pushing something, I looked down and there she was. I didn't have any problems putting her back in her enclosure but when I picked her up she was kinda tense. This is my first snake so I'm not actually sure how they act when you handle them, calm or stressed, I just lack experience for now in that department. Anyway it's kind of unfortunate that this happened tonight because I was planning on feeding her for the first time tomorrow evening and now I'm afraid she'll be too stressed and she won't eat.

What do you guys think? Has this ever happened to you? Do you think this whole situation could prevent her from eating tomorrow?
    Also another question, when she got out, most likely she probably fell from about 4 feet onto wooden floor, do you think she could be hurt?

It goes without saying that I will make sure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Barney; 07-06-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    I think everyone has had a snake escape at one point or another. It's possible that it could prevent her from eating but there is only one way to find out. Just make sure you secure the cage asap.

Before I realized that large pythons can open sliding glass doors, I had a Burmese Python escape and climb up the wall and knock one of my guitars off the wall and break a light fixture. Both of which were about 7ft above the floor. He was fine. I would say that your snake is probably ok.

Thanks

Re: BP escaped his enclosure!

How did she get out? She's probably not hurt, just check her over for any scrapes and keep an eye on her. And I'd go ahead and try to feed her tomorrow anyway.

Thanks

Re: BP escaped his enclosure!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Judy View Post
    How did she get out? She's probably not hurt, just check her over for any scrapes and keep an eye on her. And I'd go ahead and try to feed her tomorrow anyway.
    Managed to open a sliding door.

She's weird right now, she's outside her hide but not doing anything, usually when outside her hide she explores and tests the enclosure but yeah right now she's not moving at all. Should I be worried?

Thanks
    Nvm she seems to be climbing the glass again so I think she's fine. Now I just hope she'll eat tomorrow and if not well I know what got her stressed out. Really sucks that this happened though because I had really high hopes that she would eat tomorrow since I recently got my temps and humidity properly figured out but anyways, let's keep our hopes up.

Thanks
    I think she'd be fine, when you handle her, just be calm. I handle mind quite often, and im calm and happy i mean, you get to hold something that has killed and other people are scared of, and I never see them(well I have today witness both of mine try to push the lid of their enclosures up, but one has something that weighs a bit(but its not that heavy, like 5 lbs) and the other enclosure of mine has these "locks", its just a latch from the lid to the tank itself- i'd suggest you get one if your lid it just a regular screen top. I got my latch for like $3 plus tax, although the other pet store had some for $4, so i wouldn't thing it would cost more than$5.
    Now I think she would be fine eating, as long as she's hungry enough.
    I agree with Snake Judy, she should be fine, but just check over her just to be sure.