Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Grumpy, dry skin, and won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Betadine, aka providone-iodine, should be available at any pharmacy, and pharmacy sections of larger stores. Ointment is most common in my experience, but it is also available as a wash/solution.

Sent using software and hardware
    Thanks. I'd prefer a cream style over a liquid, much easier to apply that way. Should I treat him everyday? Do I need to wash the ointment off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Yes, Betadine is readily available. The label may not billboard that it is Betadine. It may say First Aid Rinse , etc. Just read the ingredients.

I have no experience treating scale rot. I can only give you an opinion on what I have read and this is how I would do it. Unless someone I respect here has valuable, different input from experience

I've read to make anywhere from a 1-5% solution bath in a tub. I wouldn't get hung up on numbers. Just stir a solution until it becomes a light funky brownish-orange.

Some wipe on with a towel and leave it.

I like the idea of the bath because as the snake moves in the bath, the solution can get underneath the scales as well.

Do it daily for 15-20 min, then rinse.

I don't like the idea of testing the water temp by "feel", as in lukewarm. Our body temp is 98 degrees. What feels lukewarm to us can be too hot for the snake. That's why some snakes will spaz out trying to get out of the water.

I use my temp gun an try to achieve 77--84 degree range if possible ( it will actually feel cool ). I find it less stressful the few times I needed to bathe a nasty snake. Like the time Lizzy regurged in her bowl and laid in it completely.

If no improvement in 4-5 days, consider a topical antibiotic. If that doesn't help, go see a vet for more aggressive treatment.

add:

The "bath is in a plastic tub with the solution deep enough to completely cover the snake. Then place the lid on.
    Last edited by Reinz; 02-08-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: content
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Yes, Betadine is readily available. The label may not billboard that it is Betadine. It may say First Aid Rinse , etc. Just read the ingredients.

I have no experience treating scale rot. I can only give you an opinion on what I have read and this is how I would do it. Unless someone I respect here has valuable, different input from experience

I've read to make anywhere from a 1-5% solution bath in a tub. I wouldn't get hung up on numbers. Just stir a solution until it becomes a light funky brownish-orange.

Some wipe on with a towel and leave it.

I like the idea of the bath because as the snake moves in the bath, the solution can get underneath the scales as well.

Do it daily for 15-20 min, then rinse.

I don't like the idea of testing the water temp by "feel", as in lukewarm. Our body temp is 98 degrees. What feels lukewarm to us can be too hot for the snake. That's why some snakes will spaz out trying to get out of the water.

I use my temp gun an try to achieve 77--84 degree range if possible ( it will actually feel cool ). I find it less stressful the few times I needed to bathe a nasty snake. Like the time Lizzy regurged in her bowl and laid in it completely.

If no improvement in 4-5 days, consider a topical antibiotic. If that doesn't help, go see a vet for more aggressive treatment.

add:

The "bath is in a plastic tub with the solution deep enough to completely cover the snake. Then place the lid on.
    Thanks so much for your help. Maybe I will go with the liquid kind then.

I generally do test the water by feel, making sure it feels just slightly warm. The few times I've given Dexter a bath it has been right In my bathtub, and he seems quite content as long as I'm not touching him!

Thanks

I've never treated scale rot, either, but for the bath method I'd start with Betadine liquid rather than trying to dissolve the ointment.

Sent using software and hardware
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

In the drier climate I've put him in, patches of stuck shed have become quite apparent. I gave him a soak for an hour and then used a rubber finger tip to get some of the shed off. He's pretty long and easily stressed so I didn't get it all off, but over the next few days I'll keep working on it. I was never able to find betadine, apparently it's not very available anymore. However, with the drier climate his scale rot has cleared up almost completely. I'm going to make some modifications to his enclosure tomorrow: a deep clean, paper substrate instead of mulch, and the addition of a much bigger water dish; I'm hoping it will take up a little under half of his floor space. I've also realized that the suggestion of covering up most of the screen was wrong- he does far better with more ventilation. Diamonds are quite tricky to provide for it seems. I think they are very sensitive to cage conditions yet there's not much information out here on correct conditions. Trial and error I suppose.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This poor snake of mine. I soaked him for 3 hours today which led to me discover that he has a very small, tight layer of stuck shed on him. I assumed that since his scales were lifting that they were rotting , but the skin was so tightly stuck on that the layer of skin had lifted the scales up and was stuck underneath the scales... Wait, there's more. Once I finally found his precious beautiful scales underneath the layer, I saw blood. I thought I must be rubbing too hard, yet no matter how lightly and gently I rubbed the shed away he bled. Obviously scales cannot bleed, but the skin underneath his scales must be the victim of the bleeding and is coming through. I didn't remove all the shed, but I got most of the shed off of his head and mouth area and a few patches along his back. I'm really worried about him. Has anyone ever had this experience with the bleeding? I researched online and it all related back to scale rot and the sensitivities of carpets and diamonds. I still haven't been able to kind any betadine, but I'm going to search more tomorrow as well as talk to an experienced reptile enthusiast. After talking to this person tomorrow and (hopefully) starting the betadine treatment, I hope things start to look up for Dexter. If not, it's time for the vet. Has anyone ever seen a shed like what I've described? I've seen pictures of stuck shed that flakes off and of multiple layers of shed that have to be cut off, but never this. The shed had wrapped around each scale so tightly, no wonder his shedding cycles have been so confusing. Any advice is wanted and appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You should post pics of the scale rot you speak of. It doesn't really sound like scale rot to me as it seems to be on the snakes back and not mainly the belly, is this the case?

As to covering the lid that can be some trial and error but I don't see how you created such high humidity so quickly to cause the new issues. Were you having an issue with the glass walls of the cage building humidity and creating heavy moisture build up?

Did you get a IR temp gun to check the temps of the cage? In particularly the ledge you created as a hotspot?

The "hospital tank" may or may not be a good idea. I fear that you are going from one extreme to the other instead of making the small adjustments needed to get the husbandry correct.

You need to spend the money and do things right. If you are unable to provide the correct humidity with misting yourself you need to get a MistKing system of Fogger with a ReptiTherm unit to monitor and turn on and off the systems as needed. You also should place the light on a proportional tstat so the light is providing just what is needed at all times. I think doing those two things will put you in a good spot but I certainly will not persuade you to not also buy a better pvc cage.

Trying to keep more advanced snakes while using techniques and equipment not suited for it is going to be a up hill battle. Its always cheaper to do it right the first time. Spend the money now and get it done right. If you don't you will end up spending more on vet bills and eventually the right gear.

Im sorry your having this much trouble and we need to get things right so both you and the snake are in a better place.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Wow ... So much conflicting advice bud .
    I'm wondering if at this stage a visit to a vet maybe best if only for your peace of mind . Are their any reptile vets close by or at least a vet with plenty of experience with snakes and the like ..?

Good luck anyways.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Wow ... So much conflicting advice bud .
    I'm wondering if at this stage a visit to a vet maybe best if only for your peace of mind . Are their any reptile vets close by or at least a vet with plenty of experience with snakes and the like ..?

Good luck anyways.
    I suggested a vet a while back. It's time.

We can't play "doctor's in" over the internet any longer.

This thread is 5 pages long and nothing has changed.

Get to a professional or the snake is going to die.

Sad to say it but it's true.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-20-2016),KMG (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I went back through the entire thread.

I don't believe you caused "mild scale rot" in the short amount of time in the conditions you have described. If anything I would have thought you were setting the snake up for an RI. What makes you believe it is scale rot? I think it sounds more like a burn but without being there or at least seeing some pics we are all guessing here.

You need to help us help the snake. The snake is not causing this, you are. If it were me I would be living on the BP.net and checking every post my thread got and giving a play by play of what is happening in the attempt of creating the correct husbandry for my snake.

While I may be with the others agreeing its time to see a vet the issue of husbandry is going to still be an issue at home and needs to be addressed. Without fixing it the snake has no chance of making it. If the vet is not an option because of money it may be time to suck it up and pass the snake on to a more experienced keeper. It sucks but you really need to do what is best for the snake and you and your sis have not been achieving that. Im not trying to be rude or make you feel bad. Im just trying to do what is best for the snake.

I am here to help and will continue to do so. We need you to step up and do what it takes to make things right. You need to buy the proper equipment and get a proper setup.

Lets start over on some things:

What is the setup right now? How is the cage setup? Pics would be best(top view too.)

Did you get a mister or fogger?

Do you have a temp gun?

Whats the humidity staying at?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-20-2016)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast