Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

1 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Which is more preferable?

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Ceramic Heat Element CHE
    Oh! Haha. I have one and a heat bulb with light. I thought they needed a day and night kinda of scene. Good to know

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicmed View Post
    Ball python don't actually require any special daylight spectrum lighting, some feel that it actually stresses the snake ( I don't know what credit that statement has, but bp are nocturnal animals) so in all honesty getting a white or blue light is just wasting money unless it's just a personal preference for you or the plants in the vivarium. Red light however is said that they cannot see, so an infrared light would be safe 24/7. (This is what I prefer to use, but opinions will vary)
    Use this also with a daylight bulb. Thinking about putting in a T-8 strip and call it a day. Haha literally.
    88-92 hot side, 78-82 cool side, 40%-60% humidity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeball View Post
    Use this also with a daylight bulb. Thinking about putting in a T-8 strip and call it a day. Haha literally.
    Arent the day and night blubs basically the same though? lol

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srt_529 View Post
    Arent the day and night blubs basically the same though? lol
    No. Not at all. Because the entire concern is light or no light and within that main concern are two sort of sub concerns; one, is there to much light that bothers them and two do the snakes benefit from UV rays (the precious light our sun gives). So no they are not the same in this respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

No. Not at all. Because the entire concern is light or no light and within that main concern are two sort of sub concerns; one, is there to much light that bothers them and two do the snakes benefit from UV rays (the precious light our sun gives). So no they are not the same in this respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From my research and talking to people with years of experience; they really dont need any any special lighting, and its just for your preferences. My window blinds are always open so he gets light from there lol. I just switched to the CHE 24hours for 2days and it holds the temps and humidity perfectly all day

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srt_529 View Post
    From my research and talking to people with years of experience; they really dont need any any special lighting, and its just for your preferences. My window blinds are always open so he gets light from there lol. I just switched to the CHE 24hours for 2days and it holds the temps and humidity perfectly all day
    Thats cool. I do the same. My BP sit under the window, I open my shades too letting in sun light and I guess starting a cycle, but two lights are different the it light they can't see and the others they can. Can be a bad thing because of stress is what I'm getting. If I apply all his to my virv then what I have is a glass tank 18 by 36 by 18. (Or cording to this sight enough to sustain the snake her whole life) with two hides and lots of fake plants to hide under. I have a powerfull day time bulb in a ballast on a timer 12 on 12 off. Heat pad large water dish which she did swim in after eating Monday a fogger in the large water dish so I don't worried about humidity just flip that thing on and that's it no humidity problems. I was using a red light at night but red all this nocturnal info and stopped will prob just use when it's chilly out. She seems to like the cooler areas like swimming in the cool water after eating and relaxing on the cooler side of the tank.

Thanks

Thats cool. I do the same. My BP sit under the window, I open my shades too letting in sun light and I guess starting a cycle, but two lights are different the it light they can't see and the others they can. Can be a bad thing because of stress is what I'm getting. If I apply all his to my virv then what I have is a glass tank 18 by 36 by 18. (Or cording to this sight enough to sustain the snake her whole life) with two hides and lots of fake plants to hide under. I have a powerfull day time bulb in a ballast on a timer 12 on 12 off. Heat pad large water dish which she did swim in after eating Monday a fogger in the large water dish so I don't worried about humidity just flip that thing on and that's it no humidity problems. I was using a red light at night but red all this nocturnal info and stopped will prob just use when it's chilly out. She seems to like the cooler areas like swimming in the cool water after eating and relaxing on the cooler side of the tank.
    Sounds sort of like mine. I did have a heat bulb with light running for about 11hours but that made it too hot ( 93f on the hot side and 85 on the cool) which also lowered my humidity after a few hours to 40% even with misting and moss. The CHE i have switched too keeps the hot side at 89f and cool side at 82f with humidity never droping 50% all day and going as high as 60-70% when i need to mist. He ate yesterday so hes just been hiding and relaxing

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Yeah definitely a little on the hot side. With your bulb man right on the limit almost on warm side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12