Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

1 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

Running incubator fans

I have been using old cell phone chargers and plug in AC->DC power sources for the last year or so to power the 12v fan in my incubator. Worked great with one 120mm fan, but the latest bator is a converted full size frige and looked like two 120mm fans would be required to distribute the heat more evenly. One of the cell phone chargers was really struggling running two fans, so I pulled this old handy AC->DC power source out that I have had for years to give it a try.

WAY BETTER!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Running incubator fans

Nice set-up.

Do you find the fans themselves produce much heat when running?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

CD CONSTRICTORS (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    DC fans are preferred by me due to the fact they do not produce much heat at all. Temps are stable on both my incubators and the Herpstat load is less than 10% unless you open the door for an extended period of time.

AC fans create a lot of heat by nature..... I have seen some small incubators that can be run with just AC fans on the T-stat and sustain good temps. I just prefer constant air flow in the incubator with the DC fans running continuously on a constant power source, instead of using them as a heat source on a T-stat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    10 amps is a lot at 12 volts, it will give you an output of 120 watts maximum.

a brushless fan like you use in a computer to cool the hardware, or like the ones you use, only need around 3 watts. (this is also why the low-voltage DC fans dont produce much heat). its weird that the cellphone charger didnt deliver enough.

but it doesnt really matter, it can be bigger, as long as the voltage is constant it will be fine.

personally i think i would do it using USB. there are a variety of USB fans, and a decent active USB hub will provide 5 volts at 0.5 amps or 0.75 amps for each port. thats 2.5 or 3.75 watts, which is just perfect for a small fan. most of them have 4 ports, so it would work for 4 fans. you dont even need an active USB hub because you wont need the data link, so one of these things that just gives you powered USB ports without a datalink would work. but i guess one of the reasons why i would do it this way is because i have plenty of USB hubs and cables and im familiar with the technology. and you have the 12 volt stuff and are more familiar with that.

one thing i noticed: i would position the fans differently, so that the whole air inside will be rotating. if you put both in the back, the air in the back will move down and the air in the front will move up. but you have one in the back on the left side and one in the opposite corner, so further down in the incubator they might be cancelling each other out. maybe it will be better if you move one, so that both are in the back, you should give it a try.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

bigt0006 (04-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    one thing i noticed: i would position the fans differently, so that the whole air inside will be rotating. if you put both in the back, the air in the back will move down and the air in the front will move up. but you have one in the back on the left side and one in the opposite corner, so further down in the incubator they might be cancelling each other out. maybe it will be better if you move one, so that both are in the back, you should give it a try.
    Thanks for the tips, but I'm quite happy with the air flow and temp distribution in the incubator ATM.

You have how many incubators running..... ??

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-18-2014),DooLittle (04-19-2014),rascal_rascal_99 (04-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreydelong View Post
    Thanks for the tips, but I'm quite happy with the air flow and temp distribution in the incubator ATM.

Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-19-2014),CD CONSTRICTORS (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Nice setup. Keep us posted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

CD CONSTRICTORS (04-19-2014)

Thanks

i studied physics, and aerodynamics, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics were parts of the curriculum and ive seen a whole lot of experiments in these areas, does that count?
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    i studied physics, and aerodynamics, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics were parts of the curriculum and ive seen a whole lot of experiments in these areas, does that count?
    Tbh unless you have actual experience with incubators specifically no it does not count.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T&C Exotics For This Useful Post:

CD CONSTRICTORS (04-19-2014),DooLittle (04-19-2014),rascal_rascal_99 (04-21-2014)

Thanks

And coreydelong in for the elitist punk comment. Good job sir. That's the kind of thing that people look for in a tight knit hobby.

Looks to me like pythonlover was trying to offer some friendly advice. Looks to me like you know it all. Never have I noticed a single post of yours, but this one made you stand out. But not in a good way.

I'm not normally one who is inclined to make such comments but this really stood out to me as an elitist self involved sorta comment.

Simply saying "thank you for the recommendation but this method has worked well for me in the past" would have sufficed. Adding "you have how many incubators running.....??" Makes you look like a punk.

Just sayin

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda
    -1.0 Yellow Anaconda

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Expensive hobby For This Useful Post:

ZacharyPoller (04-19-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast