Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my burmese just died in its hands

if that doesnt work ill kiss my own arse o.O

Thanks

You guys should be careful w/ the PAM references before someone sprays their snake down w/ cooking spray. Someone did just mention olive oil.

I'll be watching for the new thread...

Glad little dude came back to the light.
    0.2 - Ball Pythons
    1.1 - Canines
    0.1 - Rats
    1.1 - Children

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuzum1978 For This Useful Post:

HypoPita (12-25-2008)

Thanks

Gotta say I'm shocked that he's alive!!!

Olive oil does not kill mite eggs, even tho it may kill mites. So you'll have mites again in about 30 days.

I know people have posted links to (PAM) Provent a Mite and where you can buy it from.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

BK II from proexotics.com is suppose to be safe around snakes, although they do not reccomend spraying it direclty on the animal.

I will say this, if you haven't named your snake yet, I would call him jesus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    Gotta say I'm shocked that he's alive!!!

Olive oil does not kill mite eggs, even tho it may kill mites. So you'll have mites again in about 30 days.

I know people have posted links to (PAM) Provent a Mite and where you can buy it from.
    I myself use mineral oil. While the oil does not in itself "kill" mites like poison does, it does smother them and the eggs. I also put my animals in a diluted lystrine soak before rubbing them down with the oil. My treatment came from a vet text book on reptiles. This treatment was used before the advent of P.A.M. and such. I repeated the treatment in two weeks just as a precaution, and all mites were gone. Haven't seen them since, and this was several years ago.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Call him Lazarus. I personally think that zombie snakes are cool. Vet trip and ProventAMite. Your friends.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I have friends who swear by olive oil. They have used it and only had to use it once and never saw mites again.....i'm just sayin
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    I have friends who swear by olive oil.

So do I.

just sayin'

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

For oil to work on a longstanding heavy infestation wouldn't you have to oil down the whole cage and every tiny gap therein?

To get all the eggs laid in crevices and suchlike?

And doesn't oil cause problems with their skin on its own? - I seem to remember reading about the top layer of all the scales coming off individually all over the place.

I get the idea of how it works (we used to use a dab of vaseline on ticks for the same reason) but other than for instant relief for the animal I don't think I could trust it. And I'd be more likely to use the water and dish soap idea for instant relief as It sounds far easier to clean off the animal quickly which always sounds less stressful to me.

But I have never tried it so am really asking for your input about it.

Oh and thor? Start puckerin - you said fumigate instead of ventilate in your post.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    I have friends who swear by olive oil. They have used it and only had to use it once and never saw mites again.....i'm just sayin
    I suppose if you have only one snake, olive oil works... but it is a limited work I'm referring to.

Mites do not hang out all day and live on a snake. They lay their eggs in small cracks and crevices of the cage. They spend all day around the cage hiding, and the females come out at night to gorge themselves on blood.

When you do the olive oil, you drown the mites on the snake. I suppose that it could end the life cycle if you continued to use olive oil on your snake religiously every day for a couple of weeks to make sure you have also killed the mites that have just hatched from eggs etc etc, (olive oil will not kill the eggs), but that can't be great for the condition of the snakes skin.

I do not think it is the end all, swear by, solution to solving mites, but is better off viewed as a step to relieve the snake immediately of mites while you treat the cage and surrounding area with pesticides etc.

A less messy way to kill mites directly on the snake is a soapy soak to kill the mites. Then, use the oil on the head and under the chin where the snake didn't get wet to drown any other buggers.

I did suggest all of that to Venom back when he was asking for help, if he did it or not, he still needs to follow up by treating the cage and surrounding area with PAM or BKII, and re-treat the poor snake with either a bath/oil or reptile relief.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast