Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

2 members and 2,744 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to wean?

Thanks

Re: When to wean?

In the post above the one you quoted I have a picture of two adult males. One not weened and one weened. The difference for me has been largely in size. The picture isn't very good but when I hold them by their scruffs right next to each other, one hangs almost half an inch lower than the other one. :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    In the post above the one you quoted I have a picture of two adult males. One not weened and one weened. The difference for me has been largely in size. The picture isn't very good but when I hold them by their scruffs right next to each other, one hangs almost half an inch lower than the other one. :]
    But one is 3 weeks older than the other one right? Not to mention, the mother was feeding her first litter while the second litter was born, which does cause for some competition if the first litter is still nursing while the second one is days old.

I think that may be a little more into play. Like I said, when they are full grown, I have never noticed a difference in size or production in dom. rats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    But one is 3 weeks older than the other one right? Not to mention, the mother was feeding her first litter while the second litter was born, which does cause for some competition if the first litter is still nursing while the second one is days old.

I think that may be a little more into play. Like I said, when they are full grown, I have never noticed a difference in size or production in dom. rats.
    Perhaps. But they've been that size since two months, just as the bigger ones have been that size from two months.

They had they're eyes open (I'm pretty sure it was three weeks) so when the other babies were born, they weren't really suckling that much anymore if at all. I recorded seeing them eat one to two days after the second litter was born.

Thanks

Perhaps. But they've been that size since two months, just as the bigger ones have been that size from two months.

They had they're eyes open (I'm pretty sure it was three weeks) so when the other babies were born, they weren't really suckling that much anymore if at all. I recorded seeing them eat one to two days after the second litter was born.
    So, if they weren't nursing after the 2 days after the second litter was born where does the late weaning come into play for their larger size?

Unless I'm misreading what your trying to get across, it seems that either way they were weaned when that second litter came around.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

??? That would mean that they reached full size in one month? It takes mine a lot longer then that!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12