Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

3 members and 3,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Why is everyone I know so ignorant?

Yea. But like you all said, it's my choice. I'm 21, so I can move out whenever I want. I can afford rent, I'd just have to pickup another 50 hours at work a month. But I think for school I'd prefer to have the extra time, and financially, I think moving out would be a waste of cash, even if it meant I would have all these extra opportunities. Why does living in LA have to be so damn expensive. People keep moving here, don't they realize the traffic and smog suck? Haha. Oh well, guess I'll make my friend get a better tank setup, too bad he lives an hour away, otherwise I'd go over more often and make sure his boa is well taken care of. Unless anyone is looking to adopt a female(?) red tail boa in the LA/Irvine area?
    1.0 Black Milk - Apophis (Apep)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa - Renenutet (Rene)
    0.1 MR2s - '88 OPM - Celia

Thanks

You could try talking to him explaining what size it would be and what to expect but ultimately I agree with everyone else his house and his rules. Lots of people are genuinely phobic of snakes even though they rationally agree it is harmless (but a full size boa could certainly hurt you!). I had to put of getting my bp for nearly 5 years for this reason.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    Various fish
    0.1 Wife

Thanks

I agree with the general feelings here. I wasn't allowed a snake as a kid either because my father was horribly terrified of them. My mother compromised by letting me have a turtle... After I moved out at 18 I wanted one but I was moving around so much for college that I decided against it, because I thought it would be bad for the animals. Now that I'm out on my own I can have whatever the apartment doesn't ban

I think advising your friend on the correct way to keep the boa is the best way to go, and visiting when you can to make sure things are good with her. Eventually when you're on your own you can adopt her and give her a great home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy_Pythons View Post
    I agree with the general feelings here. I wasn't allowed a snake as a kid either because my father was horribly terrified of them. My mother compromised by letting me have a turtle... After I moved out at 18 I wanted one but I was moving around so much for college that I decided against it, because I thought it would be bad for the animals. Now that I'm out on my own I can have whatever the apartment doesn't ban

I think advising your friend on the correct way to keep the boa is the best way to go, and visiting when you can to make sure things are good with her. Eventually when you're on your own you can adopt her and give her a great home.
    I am in college now, and I am only about an hours drive from home, so everytime I go home I just put my snakes in a small container with one of those thermacare disposable heating pads, they dont get too hot and they stay warm enough for my snakes to be the perfect temp the whole trip. I do this probabaly once every month, and my snakes have adjusted just fine each time, I dont see any negative side effects. But I can understand if the trip is longer than that, how they could be stressed because of it.

I also agree, I think helping your friend with their husbandry is the best way to go. And other than that, wait until you get your own place and then get the snake.
    ~Alli

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaramire View Post
    I am in college now, and I am only about an hours drive from home, so everytime I go home I just put my snakes in a small container with one of those thermacare disposable heating pads, they dont get too hot and they stay warm enough for my snakes to be the perfect temp the whole trip. I do this probabaly once every month, and my snakes have adjusted just fine each time, I dont see any negative side effects. But I can understand if the trip is longer than that, how they could be stressed because of it.
    I did not live so close to home

Thanks

Maybe you could try converting them? My grandma lives with us, since she is getting on a bit and needs a little help here and there...way back when I brought my first snake home, she was terrified of them. I had to wait til she was out of the room to even get him out of the cage. Eventually she got to where she wuld stand by the cage and watch him cruising...then she started watching him eat...eventually, I even got her to pet him. 5 years and 7 snakes later, they don't even phase her anymore. I still can't get her told hold any of them, but she isn't nearly as scared of them anymore. She even thinks they're pretty.

Thanks

Gonna try to convince him to buy what he needs for a proper tank setup. I also listed his setup on craigslist for him, but I'd rather avoid that, cause you never know what sort of people you will be giving your animals to. I wish I could post her on here, but it says you can't post ads for other people.

Anyone looking to adopt a snake in the los angeles/irvine area?
    1.0 Black Milk - Apophis (Apep)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa - Renenutet (Rene)
    0.1 MR2s - '88 OPM - Celia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12