Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,480

2 members and 3,478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ugh! Another bulb has blown!

I have a UTH and humidifier on a thermostat with an infared light on a dimmer for ambient temp. I check it twice a day and make small adjustments to the dimmer when theirs a big change in room temps. So far i've I'm on my second bulb, the first one i think was cheap.

Thanks

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestion!

I think the problem with my UTH is that I put it on the side of the enclosure, which is what a snake person told me I could do if I was going to keep it on my daughter's wooden dresser. After everything I've read I have to say that I'm very afraid to use the UTH when it's on wood. I know it comes with those little feet, but that's still too close to wood for my liking.

I'm thinking about either getting a new UTH or some flexwatt to put under the enclosure. I'll have to think on this a little longer before I make my purchase.

Thanks

Def need to get an UTH for the bottom... they need the belly heat to assist with digestion... When you buy the UTH it comes with little rubber "legs" to put at the corner of your tank to keep it off of whatever surface its on... You can use whatever you want really just to get it off... Either way it should be on a thermostat to keep it around 95 which isnt hot enough to start a fire... but you def need to raise the tank off the wood.

Thanks

I have the thermostat and thermometer probes on the surface of the aspen under the hide where the snakes belly lays. That temp stays around 90 on the warm side. I have another thermometer on the cool side with that probe under the cool side hide, which stays around 80.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use 75W night time (purple) bulbs in the winter time to raise the ambient temp in various tanks (in the cooler months). I bought a couple of the Halloween bulbs and they look IDENTICAL to the expensive reptile bulbs. They put out the same amount of heat (temp gun). I forgot to buy a bunch on the day after Halloween, they would have been 50 cents.

Covering most of the top helps keep in most of the humidity. Putting the water bowl partially over the UTH will add humidity to the tank without misting. I can keep my Brazilian Rainbow Boa's tank humidity between 70% & 80% without misting. Just replace the water every 3 days.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Suriname Boa, 0.0.1 Corn
    1.1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.0 Red Tegu, 1.2.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas, 1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon

Thanks

why do you have a humidifier on a thermostat?
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    why do you have a humidifier on a thermostat?
    Ah its was one of my better ideas that actually works really well. My bp is in a 30gl tall tank that i had a hard time keep the humidity up unless i was misting 3 times a day, it never stayed steady. I use a UTH under one side on a Ranco thermostat and a dimmer controlled 150watt infared on a mostly covered screen top. I bought one of those replacement ultrasonic fog machines that you would put in a nice bowl or something to make surface of the water foggy. Stuck that in a peanut butter jar with a slit cut across the middle and set it on top of the tank with the slit hanging over a 5inch square hole in the top. Now when the Ranco clicks on the fogger fills the jar until it reaches the slit then the fog spills out down into the tank keeping my humidity up without any misting. If i leave it running any longer than a couple minutes at a time it fills the tank with fog until you cant see inside but plugged into the thermostat it seems to click on and off a good amount to keep it just were it should be.
    Last edited by shag; 08-23-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12