Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,341

0 members and 2,341 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici

View Poll Results: what substrate do you use in your rack system?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • reptibark

5 2.12%
  • cypress mulch

16 6.78%
  • paper towel

26 11.02%
  • newspaper

106 44.92%
  • aspen

86 36.44%
  • carefresh

1 0.42%
  • coco fibre

10 4.24%
  • other

13 5.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Substrate in a rack system

I use newspaper. When added humidity is needed, I add in crumpled newspaper balls (loosely crumpled) that I spray with water.
    I figure, the rack is made for ease of use, convenience, and not for appearances; so why feel compelled to use a pretty substrate?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Papertowels for the most part.

Sani Chips for the others...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh
    Sani Chips for the others...
    Yup. Sani Chips are the way to go. Wayyy better than shredded aspen. I do newspaper laywer with Sani Chips on top.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jotay
    My juvie would crawl under the paper also. I just took a single sheet and folded in half and put it over the cool side and his hide. Now he chills in his hide under the loose sheet on top. I figured he was trying to tell me he wanted a little more privacy

Unprinted newspaper rocks.
    same here lol. it worked for my corn snake.

I switched to unprinted and I dont ill ever go back. Its the cleaniest substrate. Im sure Danny Tanner from "full house" would be proud.

I found shipping paper in the shipping/package/evelope isle at Target. Its in a roll. The only thing that sucks is you have to cut it to specific size. I just guestimate the area.

Thanks

Anyone know where I get the unprinted paper substrate that is not in a roll...rather in single flat sheets?

The reason I ask is because I hate uncurling the sheets because it comes in a roll.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

You can purchase sheets from any uhaul packing store. They come flat in a box, folded in half length-ways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    And just because one option might be more popular than another (which might show up in the poll) doesn't mean that one is truely "better" than another.

It really comes down to personal preference.
    I agree! We use aspen in our large racks and paper towels in our hatchling racks. I compiled the following info a while back for a friend and thought I'd share:

1. newspaper - Pros: cheapest, easiest to see if substrate needs cleaning, easy to replace. Cons: it's ugly, doesn't hold humidity, the minute water is spilled or urine is released the paper must be changed - this can happen daily, sometimes the newsprint rubs off on the snake (not a health problem, just makes the snake dirty looking) and many times the snake gets under the paper so you can't see him (that also could be an advantage).

2. Mulch - Pros: relatively cheap at your local garden store, holds humidity very well, looks nice, and you may only need to change the part of the substrate that's dirty. Cons: hard to tell if substrate needs cleaning, may have bugs (not harmful to snakes that I've heard), heavy to lift large quantities, and when changing a large # of tubs you have big bags of "trash."

3. Carefresh - Pros: just the ticket if you're going for a different look (it's available in grey, white, pink, blue and purple), usually easy to see if substrate needs changing, only need to change the part of the substrate that's dirty. Cons: Very expensive and can sometimes be difficult to find in large quantities.

4. Sani chips - Pros: very absorbent, need only change the part of the substrate that's dirty, and holds humidity pretty well. Cons: very tiny pieces, pretty expensive but a little does go a long way, hard to find, gets all over the place (the pieces almost seem to float in the air) and hard to vacuum up.

5. Aspen - Pros: very absorbent, need only change the part of the substrate that's dirty, easy to see if substrate needs cleaning, snakes like to burrow in it, relatively inexpensive, easily available at any pet store, and holds humidity well. Cons: pieces stick to socks and towels and are very difficult to remove, some don't like the idea that some small pieces may be ingested with the prey (I've never had a problem with this), and the size of pieces and the "cut" vary widely.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy99CL
    Anyone know where I get the unprinted paper substrate that is not in a roll...rather in single flat sheets?

The reason I ask is because I hate uncurling the sheets because it comes in a roll.

Thanks in advance
    www.uline.com

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Aspen. Recently switched all of the snakes over and it is much easier for cleaning when you have this many snakes.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I have tried just about all the substrates I can find and right now I have all my sub adults and adults on Aspen pellets. I havn't had any trouble with shedding and as soon as one of the snakes poop. Those pellets suck it right up into a ball. As far as the hatchlings I have been using paper towels with them and the snakes I am cooling right now is on paper towels. I guess it should be ok to keep them on paper towels while they cool since there is no feeding at this time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast