Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

0 members and 3,273 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

2500+ gram Female

So I ended up getting my female over the weekend. When I went to go check it out it had been with a male in a 55gal locking up. The guy that I bought it from said it had laid 9 egg a month and a half ago. I was kinda curiouse as to why it would be locking up again but ok... He showed me the eggs that it laid and pictures of her when she was on them before he took the eggs out. While holding the snake the picture definetly identified the snake to be the same snake. When looking at the actually clutch all of the eggs seemed good. they were slightly dimpled but from what I understand that is normal? anyhow...I ended up buying the snake due to it's incredible size and girth. He did probe it in front of me and I felt the probe for my self to kinda see for my self that it was a female. I didn't probe the snake I just felt it very gently being dead stopped only a few scales in. I also had him probe the male it was in with and the probe went almost to the end of the tail. Anyways, It's a beautiful snake and has very bright coloring for it's size and possible age. I ended up taking it home for $125.

p.s. There are no scars, bumps, kinks or anything as far as it's skin is concerned and I checked it's mouth and it is very clean as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Question Re: 2500+ gram Female

Quote Originally Posted by djslurp1200
    So I ended up getting my female over the weekend. When I went to go check it out it had been with a male in a 55gal locking up. The guy that I bought it from said it had laid 9 egg a month and a half ago. I was kinda curiouse as to why it would be locking up again but ok... He showed me the eggs that it laid and pictures of her when she was on them before he took the eggs out. While holding the snake the picture definetly identified the snake to be the same snake. When looking at the actually clutch all of the eggs seemed good. they were slightly dimpled but from what I understand that is normal? anyhow...I ended up buying the snake due to it's incredible size and girth. He did probe it in front of me and I felt the probe for my self to kinda see for my self that it was a female. I didn't probe the snake I just felt it very gently being dead stopped only a few scales in. I also had him probe the male it was in with and the probe went almost to the end of the tail. Anyways, It's a beautiful snake and has very bright coloring for it's size and possible age. I ended up taking it home for $125.

p.s. There are no scars, bumps, kinks or anything as far as it's skin is concerned and I checked it's mouth and it is very clean as well.
    OK i have a few concerns here.First this snake supposably dropped 9 eggs a month and a half ago and he had her with a male allready locked up? Somethings not right here! I have never heard of someone placing a "female" back with a male to breed again right after she dropped eggs! Just because you "felt" the probe stop shortly in does not guarentee its a female.Male adults have very strong muscles and can tighten up that area of which will give you a false reading.It does happen.I would take it to either a vet or someone who you totaly trust and have this snake probed.I say this because i smell something fishy here.Please make sure whomever reprobes it does know what they are doing.Keep us posted.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: 2500+ gram Female

O i did forget something.Just because he showed you a pic of her setting on some eggs does not mean she layed them.As a joke someone i know placed his male pastel on some eggs and emailed the pic to freinds as a joke:eek: .And $125 for a proven female of 2500 grams right before breeding season .Once again i smell something fishy here.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

yeah i plan on having it probed again...for sure

I don't know why he would put it in with a male after it layed...I think maybe a lack of cages or to see if he could get more from her ( i don't agree with the thought)...I'm not sure... Either way it is a beautiful snake.

I am aware of the males being pretty strong with there junk though..

Thanks

Ya I don't know...I'll have it probed again for sure by someone I trust but I am thinkin it is a female though...it's tail is real stubby and isn't at all long after the vent. Obviously not a sure way of telling but. I will have it probed to be sure. I will tell you though this thing is thick... definetly one of the largest if not THE largest ball python I have ever seen....

Thanks

yeah i plan on having it probed again...for sure

I don't know why he would put it in with a male after it layed...I think maybe a lack of cages or to see if he could get more from her ( i don't agree with the thought)...I'm not sure... Either way it is a beautiful snake.

I am aware of the males being pretty strong with there junk though..
    Not being rude here towards you.I would keep that snake totaly away from your collection of snakes.If he was short of space or trying to get more out of her i am wondering if this snake is to old to breed anymore .This has way to many red flags popping up
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    .As a joke someone i know placed his male pastel on some eggs and emailed the pic to freinds as a joke:eek: .
    Wouldn't that potentially harm the eggs? would a male be as careful on top of the eggs as a female would. Just wondering because I don't know if a male would be as careful or gentle around them..

Thanks

It's definetly not with any of my other snakes...I got it in my 55 and I got another 20long for one of my other females...

I understand where your coming from with the red flags believe me I do!
    I just figure if it does lay and it ends up producing for me next year or ends up dropping another clutch suprising me I guess it was worth the purchase...

Only time will tell and I am aware of the possibilities...I decided to purchase the snake so I am aware of what could / could not be up with the snake.

Thanks

Wouldn't that potentially harm the eggs? would a male be as careful on top of the eggs as a female would. Just wondering because I don't know if a male would be as careful or gentle around them..
    Not if the snake was left on the eggs for a short time.To tell you the truth ball python eggs are very durable when compared to other eggs.Now i dont mean you can bounce them off of a wall or pickup and squeeze them.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

yeah, I just wasn't sure. But I definetly do it myself. Those prescious little suckers would be too valuable to me to play pranks with them laying other snakes on them. Only the female that layed them would be so lucky to be ontop

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast