Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

4 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

Quote Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
    Do they realy smell less? I am forced to breed due to living so far from a pet shop. I have both rats and mice, and if I don't clean every 3 days the room is horrid, and no matter what I use the smell comes back way too fast. I was wondering what are the cage space requirements on them? are they like rats and need a bunch of space, or do they make due with less? If they are so great, where can I find some in SD? I just wonder, I'm tired of these darn rats. I have a couple rats that are pets, but the rest just anoy me. Does anyone know anyone else who does not want ASF's anymoer but would trade for rats 2rats for 1 asf?
    It seems I live in a dead zone, no reptile breeders, no rodent breeders, not even a pet shop within 50mi.
    I have had mine for about two weeks and cleaned them once NO SMELL!!!!

But then again you can ask Connie!!!!
    Last edited by rabernet; 12-29-2008 at 07:23 AM.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

Mby one day I will be able to find some, maby on a vacation sometime.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does anyone know anyone else who does not want ASF's anymoer but would trade for rats 2rats for 1 asf?
    Just a reminder that inquiries like this need to be made in the For Sale/Trade/Wanted forum and not in the regular forums. Thanks!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I recently found out that your bedding can make a difference on smell.

I had been using the big bags of pine that Wal-Mart sells for $6. A friend found that you could get an even bigger bag from a garden/landscape store for $7. It looked like a better deal until I cleaned at the end of the first week. The new stuff was cut thicker and doesn't absorb moisture as well. Parts of most every tub was wet to the bottom which I hadn't been seeing with the thinner sliced Wal-Mart pine so I'm going back to that.

Come warmer weather I'm definitely putting some ventilation in (probably a bathroom fan). It's not too bad now (would be with mice or Norway rats) but even the ASF's use some water so need some ventilation to help dry it out.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If they are so great, where can I find some in SD? I just wonder, I'm tired of these darn rats.
    Eastern or Western SD? There was a lady from Rapid City that came down to the Denver show in August. I think her business was Knockout Corns or something like that. Don't know if she is going to do that regularly but there is a January 31st show and although live rodents aren't allowed in the building if you arranged something ahead of time someone could probably bring some to the parking lot at the end.

Thanks

I switched to equine fresh from aspen, and it's like night and day. There is now no smell at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Just a reminder that inquiries like this need to be made in the For Sale/Trade/Wanted forum and not in the regular forums. Thanks!
    Sorry, I'll try to remember that.

Western SD...Rapid is about 45 miles from me. I live rite by the SD/WY border

Thanks

I just got my first breeding quad of these things. Jumpy little guys.
    They are all getting along great. No fights yet.
    I have them in glass 30 gallon aquariums with aspen bedding.
    Ill have to get some of that equine stuff and might mix it 50/50. They are messing up the cage I made for them. I got a small bird feeder that sits an inch off the ground filled with wild bird seed. They spread the seed all over the cage then Ate the plastic feeder.
    Maybe I need to put more things in there to keep them entertained.
    They have a hamster wheel and a stack of PVC tubes to play in.

They don't seem mean at all,just jumpy. Mine haven't tried to bite me yet but that might change when they're established.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567