Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,993

1 members and 2,992 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: *Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

If anything, take the live kittens and find homes for them. Not all inbred animals are sick.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Why not offer to find homes for the kittens and get her two cats spayed and neutered? That would be the best option for all of the animals. Why hasn't she gotten them fixed if she knew this would happen?

People sometimes... I swear.

And no, I wouldn't feed the kittens to your snake. You never know what diseases they may harbor and bring into your house. If this woman, regardless of being hickified, had enough common sense to spay/neuter her animals these things wouldn't have ever happened. It doesn't cost more than $25-$30 to get a male cat neutered, and females can be done for around $40-$50 at a Spay/Neuter Clinic. The SPCA can do them for you or give you a coupon to get them done if the owner can't/will not do it themselves.

Also, do yourself a favor and look here for a rabbit breeder: http://www.prma.org/breeder_rabbits.htm You may be able to find one very close in your area and can pick up a meal for your snake once every 2 weeks for probably $5-$7. They usually price depending on how much the rabbit weighs. Sometimes they will meet you halfway or they can ship(cheaper than RodentPro alot of the time).

Hope that helps.
    Words of wisdom Becky.

Seriously, just because something can be fed to a snake doesn't mean it should be. What next? Puppies? Babies? Cmon...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Moral, ethical and practical arguements aside, it's quite possible that it's illegal. Feeding kittens to pythons may be considered animal abuse. I recently read something about a humane shelter employee who is in deep do-do for feeding puppies and kittens slated for euthenasia to a python they had at the shelter.

I don't know where you are, but here in Phoenix, the Sheriff has a special "Animal Abuse Posse", and they take it very, very seriously.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
    Moral, ethical and practical arguements aside, it's quite possible that it's illegal. Feeding kittens to pythons may be considered animal abuse. I recently read something about a humane shelter employee who is in deep do-do for feeding puppies and kittens slated for euthenasia to a python they had at the shelter.

I don't know where you are, but here in Phoenix, the Sheriff has a special "Animal Abuse Posse", and they take it very, very seriously.
    I would have to agree completely. I can't imagine that there is a humane way for the average person to dispose of the litter of kittens, and I would want to have as little to do with that particular action as possible.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

So Lucifer, first you are freezing live healthy Guinea Pigs and now feeding kittens to your snake. Whats the deal? Did I misread that other post of yours?

Thanks

Guinea pigs are a fairly conventional food for snakes (you can even get them at rodent pro I believe) they are just pricier than rats/mice. I think there's a big difference from feeding any rodent to a snake to feeding a small carnivore.

April

Thanks

I wasn't debating that. But in her previous post she mentioned freezing a live guinea pig. That is a pattern of cruelty to animals in my eyes. Could it have been killed humanely?

Thanks

Well I didn't see that. I'm sure she didn't know about using Co2 to humanely euthanize rodents before freezing.

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention

Also, do yourself a favor and look here for a rabbit breeder: http://www.prma.org/breeder_rabbits.htm You may be able to find one very close in your area and can pick up a meal for your snake once every 2 weeks for probably $5-$7.
    I looked at this site last week, and links to only two of the sites are still active, and those two sites don't appear to sell rabbits. Does anyone know of another resource to use?

Thanks

Yeah Guinea pigs, rats, mice, hamsters they are all good feeders but a cat is not. Cats are protected in the states and killing them in any way other than taking them to a vet or local animal controll facility for euthanasia can lead to serious fines or worse. Feeding them to a snake can cause a very negative image to the reptiles in your local area if word ever got out. And in the case that it did ever get out and got to local authorities you could end up in alot of trouble not the least of which will be them taking the snake away and euthanizing it. they do the same to dogs and cats and roosters who are trained to fight. They kill them so they wont be a danger to the other animals. Cats dead or alive, adult or kittens are just not feeding animals in anyway in any state. Same goes for dogs and puppies. Stick with unprotected rodents and be safe.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast