Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,018

3 members and 1,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,583
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I need Help/advices SOS

Hello!
    I would like to point out that this is a case where I have to take the poor thing to the vet, but I still have to make an appointment and the vet is very far away.

A little about my ballypthon:
    Male.
    1 year old.
    Shy.

1. My poor Ballpython hasn't eaten for a month and a half.

2. He's developed RI which I'm trying to treat with eucalyptus oil sauna.

3. She is bloated. I tried bathing her and she has released some internal gas but she is still bloated [ like a balloon]

I'm going to take him to the vet very soon, but until then I don't want him to have any more problems. What can you advise , for feeding ? [I tried to feed her last night but she still keeps pulling her head away and getting scared of it. Now it's in a little plastic box. The bottom is paper. They have a little water and a hiding place.
    I left the dead mouse there for the evening, but he didn't eat it.
    I don't know what to do.
    He used to eat normally and had no problems.
    Then, he refused the mouse. 1x, 2x 3x. And here we are.
    This is my first pet and I will not let him die.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,219 Posts

Re: I need Help/advices SOS

Quote Originally Posted by Metaleen View Post
    I don't know what to do.
    I'd:
    • Stop treating with Eucalyptus.
    • Review husbandry to find the causes of his symptoms.
    • Get him to a vet.

I've heard of treating RI with eucalyptus oil, but eucalyptus is very aromatic. I would be concerned that it would irritate his lungs like pine or cedar would. I've heard of people treating RI with eucalyptus, but I wouldn't risk it.

The best treatment you can do is to find the cause of his symptoms and fix that. Check your husbandry against what's recommended in our care guide and correct where there is a discrepancy. Post a pic and description of your enclosure (heating elements, temps and humidity ranges, thermostats) and we'll be happy to give you suggestions for improvement.

Set up that vet appointment right away. RI's are much easier to treat if caught early. Your bp has other issues as well. Don't worry about feeding him. He's sick. Leave him alone until you can get him to see a vet.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how distressing having a sick pet can be. Try to relax. A distressed mind makes poor decisions. Good luck.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-03-2024),Bogertophis (05-03-2024),dakski (05-03-2024),GoingPostal (05-05-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-03-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,923 Times in 11,905 Posts
    Homebody is correct- sick snakes do not eat, nor should they, since treatment (& associated stress & handling) may cause a regurgitation anyway.

(Also, even when a healthy snake refuses a meal, don't offer food again for about a week, because constantly offering food just stresses them too much.)

***Bloating is a bad sign- please get your snake to a qualified herp vet A.S.A.P. & this site may help you find one: https://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661 ***

I would never use eucalyptus on snakes- to the best of my knowledge, it's toxic to them (just as cedar is). I'm sorry that your first pet is so sick- it's hard to deal with even when you have more experience.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-03-2024),Homebody (05-03-2024),Metaleen (05-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Homebody is correct- sick snakes do not eat, nor should they, since treatment (& associated stress & handling) may cause a regurgitation anyway.

(Also, even when a healthy snake refuses a meal, don't offer food again for about a week, because constantly offering food just stresses them too much.)

***Bloating is a bad sign- please get your snake to a qualified herp vet A.S.A.P. & this site may help you find one: https://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661 ***

I would never use eucalyptus on snakes- to the best of my knowledge, it's toxic to them (just as cedar is). I'm sorry that your first pet is so sick- it's hard to deal with even when you have more experience.
    I have an appointment at the vet for Wednesday 8.What do you suggest I do until then ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an appointment at the vet for Wednesday 8.
    What do you suggest I do until then ?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024),Homebody (05-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'd:
    • Stop treating with Eucalyptus.
    • Review husbandry to find the causes of his symptoms.
    • Get him to a vet.

I've heard of treating RI with eucalyptus oil, but eucalyptus is very aromatic. I would be concerned that it would irritate his lungs like pine or cedar would. I've heard of people treating RI with eucalyptus, but I wouldn't risk it.

I found Mould or moss on the ground.I immediately throwed the substrate out. And put him in a plastic box [ we didn't have any more coco husk [ordered since]].
    Now the humidity is 70-80
    And its have a good 26-28 C°

The best treatment you can do is to find the cause of his symptoms and fix that. Check your husbandry against what's recommended in our care guide and correct where there is a discrepancy. Post a pic and description of your enclosure (heating elements, temps and humidity ranges, thermostats) and we'll be happy to give you suggestions for improvement.

Set up that vet appointment right away. RI's are much easier to treat if caught early. Your bp has other issues as well. Don't worry about feeding him. He's sick. Leave him alone until you can get him to see a vet.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how distressing having a sick pet can be. Try to relax. A distressed mind makes poor decisions. Good luck.

Thanks

I found Mould or moss on the ground.I immediately throwed the substrate out. And put him in a plastic box [ we didn't have any more coco husk [ordered since]].Now the humidity is 70-80

Im new to this websitr and i didnt really know how to use it lmao

Thanks

Wait and let him relax. same to me

Im not going to bother him now til wednesday 8. [Vet day]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-03-2024)

Thanks

I found Mould or moss on the ground.I immediately throwed the substrate out. And put him in a plastic box [ we didn't have any more coco husk [ordered since]].Now the humidity is 70-80

Im new to this websitr and i didnt really know how to use it lmao
    Your humidity is too high. You should bring it down to 50 - 60%. 26 - 28C is fine as a cool side temp. What is the temp on the warm side? What is your basking temp? A picture and a description of your enclosure would be very helpful. What are you using to provide heat? How do you regulate it (e.g. thermostat)? The more we know, the better our advice will be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024)

Thanks

Re: Wait and let him relax. same to me

Im not going to bother him now til wednesday 8. [Vet day]
    That's the right idea. Though, you should give him fresh water daily and spot clean as necessary.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024),Metaleen (05-03-2024)

Thanks

Btw

Because of the eucaliptus treatment. The symptoms of RI are reduced and the ballpython looks much better than before. He is no longer breathing with his mouth open, and no longer breathing noisily.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024),Homebody (05-03-2024)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast