Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 986

0 members and 986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

icubator temp probe

Does the temp probe in a incubator go on the heat tape like a rack or somewhere in the middle of the incubator to read the air temp?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,211 Posts

Re: icubator temp probe

Quote Originally Posted by jeff68982 View Post
    Does the temp probe in a incubator go on the heat tape like a rack or somewhere in the middle of the incubator to read the air temp?
    I imagine that would depend on how you have your incubator set up. A pic would be most helpful.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 847 Posts
    If you're only incubating one clutch, I like to keep it in the box with the eggs.

But as Homebody said, knowing your setup or photos will help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-27-2024)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff68982 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 435 Posts
    The probe should go in the middle of the incubator, to read the air temps. In this application you're actually trying to heat the air with the heat tape so that's what needs to be measured, and also there's no chance the eggs can lie on the heat tape and get burned.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-27-2024),Homebody (04-27-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    The probe should go in the middle of the incubator, to read the air temps. In this application you're actually trying to heat the air with the heat tape so that's what needs to be measured, and also there's no chance the eggs can lie on the heat tape and get burned.
    Chris Hardwick posted a couple videos where he discusses setting up a very similar incubator, and he advises you to put the probe on the heat tape. He warns that, if you put the probe in the middle, the eggs closest to the tape will get too warm.

Links to his videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SsGbkwP0cA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOeOFz7E0o.

I suggest you watch both. The first video describes the original set up. The second was posted a year later and includes info on adjustments that he had to make to the original set up. I don't have a personal opinion. I've never done it. Just throwing a contrary opinion from another breeder I respect out there for your consideration.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-27-2024 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    I was going to mention that if there's a situation in which there's a possibility of a problematic temp gradient in the incubator, then a fan should be part of the design. I see he added a fan in the second video. He commented that two fans made the incubator too hot (because of the motors' energy use), and that's because he's using fans that are too large (too much airflow) and too inefficient. That just needs a little circulation, not be a wind tunnel. One or two 120mm computer fans would be sufficient in there, and have the further benefit of being adjustable if they're too strong.

Since it seems his overheating problem was caused by radiant heat, putting the heat element behind a panel such that air can flow over the heat element but so that radiant heat isn't such a factor in heating the eggs is an effective solution. This radiant heating issue is a real problem with Hovabator-type incubators, and in any application where radiant or contact heat is used where what is really needed is convective heat. So there are some basic design flaws shown in those videos which can be addressed pretty simply and effectively.

But anyway, there's a more basic reason not to put the probe on the heat tape. Suppose we want the incubator to run at 80F, and suppose that when the heat tape is at 90F then the air is 80F (choose whatever numbers seem realistic; the point is that the heat tape temp is always going to have to be higher than the target air temp, and that we're thermostatically setting the heat tape temp). So we put our probe on the tape and set it for 90F, and the air temp stabilizes at 80F.

This arrangement will be less than ideal in two very common situations. One happens when the door gets opened. Usually this causes the air in the incubator to cool off (unless the room is exactly the temp we're targeting in the incubator; in this case we don't actually need an incubator), and then when we shut the door it heats back up until it reaches the target temp. If the tape is set at 90F, the incubator will regain its target temp much less slowly than if the heat tape could get hotter until the air reaches the target temp. Whether this is a big problem depends on how long is acceptable for eggs to be out of the target temp range. I assume, though, that returning to target temp faster is better than slower.

Another more serious issue is when the heat loss from the incubator changes because the temp in the room has changed, which can happen because the incubator is in a home (where fluctuations are typical) or because the room HVAC fails, or someone messes with the room thermostat, or leaves a window open overnight, or whatever. When the heat loss from the incubator changes, then the 90F heat tape will not keep the air in the box at 80F. But if the probe is measuring the air temp in the incubator, then the air temp in the incubator will maintain at the set temp.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-27-2024),Bogertophis (04-27-2024),Homebody (04-27-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Since it seems his overheating problem was caused by radiant heat, putting the heat element behind a panel such that air can flow over the heat element but so that radiant heat isn't such a factor in heating the eggs is an effective solution.
    I love this idea. It makes me want to run out an build an incubator just to test it out, and I don't even breed snakes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-27-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I love this idea. It makes me want to run out an build an incubator just to test it out, and I don't even breed snakes.
    I'd like little more than to take credit for the idea, but this is how C Serpents builds his incubators. I have one, and it works very well. Has paid for itself a bunch of times over just in improved hatch rates.

https://cserpents.com/product-category/incubators/

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-27-2024),Homebody (04-27-2024)