Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

1 members and 3,054 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Stubborn stuck shed

My bp is overall very healthy. Champion eater. No concerns at all since i got him in December. He's in a 4x2x2, temps about 30c on the warm side in the lower 20s on the cool which i know is a bit cool but I'm struggling to get that up without making the hot side too hot. His humidity has been over 70% since before he went into blue. He always has fresh water in a bowl big enough to soak though he never does. He also has a humid hide and plenty to rub against but it's still been just a terrible shed. Probably about a week now since the first bit of skin started actually coming off. He's got most of it off but there is still a decent sized piece underneath his head and neck. It's not restricting anything but it's also showing no signs of loosening. I've tried the wet pillowcase, wet towel, shed aid spray, even the soak which i know is controversial. Even with everything I've tried it's showing no real signs of loosening. The area does look dehydrated for lack of better term but he didn't look dehydrated before shed and everywhere but that spot looks normal. Anything I'm missing that i could try? Should i take him to a vet or will it resolve in it's own? He's overdue for a feed and definitely on the hunt but obviously if i need to take him to the vet for it I'll want to wait.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,207 Posts

Re: Stubborn stuck shed

I think we're going to need to see this stuck shed you're talking about. This thread will show you how to post pics: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. The temps you describe are too low. How are you measuring them? Pics of your enclosure and a description of your heating elements and thermostats would help us to advise you on how to make adjustments.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-25-2024 at 04:10 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I think we're going to need to see this stuck shed you're talking about. This thread will show you how to post pics: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. The temps you describe are too low. How are you measuring them? Pics of your enclosure and a description of your heating elements and thermostats would help us to advise you on how to make adjustments.
    I can try to get pictures of the shed tomorrow but it'll be hard to see in a picture it's hard to see unless you're pretty close. I know my cool side is a little lower than I'd like but all my research says the warm side should be like 30-32? The basking spot is obviously warmer than that but I've never seen anything recommending it being higher than my current warm temp. The thermostat probe is on the warm side like an inch or two above substrate. There's a digital thermometer that's usually on the basking spot unless he knocks it off and an analogue thermostat on the cool side. I have tried increasing the temps to get the cool side cooler but it never seems to affect that side. The only "holes" are the ventilation bits the Viv comes with so it's not like a mesh top or anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisyg For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-26-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyg View Post
    The basking spot is obviously warmer than that ...
    It's not obvious to me. What's the basking temp? I also wonder if his most recent meal may have interfered with his shed. The digestion process can take hydration away from the shedding process leading to a bad shed. So, when did he last eat in relation to this shed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    It's not obvious to me. What's the basking temp? I also wonder if his most recent meal may have interfered with his shed. The digestion process can take hydration away from the shedding process leading to a bad shed. So, when did he last eat in relation to this shed?
    Basking is 35 to 37c. It was at least a week after his last meal before he went into blue. I want to say it was getting close to the two week mark by then but definitely at least one full week.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisyg For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-26-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyg View Post
    Basking is 35 to 37c. It was at least a week after his last meal before he went into blue. I want to say it was getting close to the two week mark by then but definitely at least one full week.
    Ok. It doesn't seem to me that the shedding issue is due to a lack of humidity or digestion related, so I don't really know what it could be. Your hot spot a little too hot. Post a pic of your enclosure and I think we'll be able to help you get your temps dialed in better. That may help.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,861 Times in 11,865 Posts
    That's a common place (the chin & neck area) for sheds to get stuck & need our help with; personally I get involved & make sure it comes off as soon as I see that the snake cannot do it on their own, because it only gets dried out & even more stuck.

Don't soak your snake in shallow water unless you're right there & have the time to make sure that part stays submerged. A better way is containing the snake for a few hours in a smaller tub with a thick & soaking wet terry towel -they MUST lay on the whole time- it will likely make the skin soft enough for either you or the snake to get it off. After a couple hours, give it a try, gently. You've most likely not been trying the other methods (wet pillowcase etc) for long enough. Once the skin is really dried on this way, it takes that much more effort & time to remove it. Don't leave it for the next shed. Be patient & persist. And next time, don't wait so long to help.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2024 at 02:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-26-2024)