Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

1 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 433 Posts
    You've described the signs of a hungry BP well -- when they're in ambush mode. The cruising behavior is usually something different -- here, they're either looking for a mate or "uncomfortable" with something about the enclosure or about their whole situation.

In the past 12 months mine accepted a meal 14 times. In the preceding 12 month period he accepted 21 meals, and during that period he took a four month break during April through July.

I would recommend that all keepers of any snake(s) keep a record of at least feeding (what prey item offered and also whether they were accepted or rejected) and shedding; noting weights if you have them can be useful too. This objective data (rather than relying on memory that is tainted by some worry about the snake's current behavior) can really help troubleshoot and help a keeper understand their snake better. I use 3 x 5 cards (one for each snake) and just scribble the date and what the snake ate on that date; other keepers might like some electronic system.

When I look at old feeding records I can see the "hunger strikes" as completely normal behavior for some snakes, and in a snake that has never taken such a long break from eating I can know whether to start looking for issues. I can look at patterns of refusal ("huh, never eats well for a month after I feed a medium rat"; "huh, never refused a pre-killed, ever"; "huh, stopped eating right after we got that new air conditioner") and figure out how to improve what I'm doing. And though this is more useful for younger snakes that keep to more regular patterns, knowing how often they shed and when the last shed was helps to give hints about whether I might not offer food right now because the snake is on schedule for a shed and it might go blue in a couple days.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2024),Homebody (05-01-2024),Luvyna (05-02-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,860 Times in 11,864 Posts
    And that's ^ ^ ^ what I do also- keep a little chart for each snake- 3x5" cards work fine or however you want to do it, but it sure beats memory for really knowing how much (or how little) a snake has been eating. Especially when you have a bunch of snakes, as I always have. I finally stopped noting sheds, but anything else that's unusual gets noted too- not just meals. This really helps a lot if you ever need to take your snake to a vet- they get a lot more information this way.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-01-2024),Luvyna (05-02-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-01-2024)

Thanks
    Great advice above, thanks! I actually kept very detailed records of feeding, weight, shedding, and even poop and urates for the first 3-4 years I had my BP but fell out of this habit around the time when I moved. He was also so consistent with feeding for all those years that I had started to think maybe I wouldn't have to deal with the dreaded ball python feeding problems, but here I am lol.

I'll get back into recording everything and will probably do it electronically this time - I had a small notebook for this before but unfortunately lost it during all the changes with moving.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-02-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-02-2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12