Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

1 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Territorial behaviour?

https://youtube.com/shorts/PP3-lbkBs...8g3l4sNAuWSQhN

My ball python has been displaying the exact same behaviour as the one in this video. He'll have the middle of his body sticking out of the hide in a loop with his head and tail hidden in the hide, and if touched, will push my hand aside or even try to slam my hand against the side of the enclosure with his body.

He might also make smooth, fast movements with his head to watch my hand and approach similar to the way the ball python in this video does toward the end (there is no risk of him striking or biting, but it definitely feels like a confrontational gesture). Like the ball python in the video, mine is also usually very calm and docile and this is unusual for him.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour in male ball pythons, and does it indicate they are in breeding mode as suggested in the video above, or could anything else cause this?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2024),Homebody (04-25-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,860 Times in 11,864 Posts
    As far as snakes pushing back when you touch them (& I'm not talking specifically about BPs here) many snakes will do that when they're feeding & you happen to touch them...they'll also try to flatten & catch you (in case you're edible, haha).

I'm also not a BP breeder, but I can't see what hiding their head & tail would have to do with mating- seems more like it would be counterproductive, but what do I know?

I'd agree that you're seeing some sort of "attitude" ("I want to be alone!") & maybe it is just hormonal? I'm not sure it's exactly "territorial", just because they don't want us in their way?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2024 at 01:04 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-28-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,207 Posts

Re: Territorial behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    [video]Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour in male ball pythons, and does it indicate they are in breeding mode as suggested in the video above, or could anything else cause this?
    For what it's worth, I kept an adult male ball python for two years and he never behaved that way toward me. Only once did my bp threaten to strike me and that was clearly a feeding response. The bp in the video is clearly defensive.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-28-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 845 Posts
    Is he your only snake?

I've only had one of my males get fussy in that way without having other snakes nearby. Typically it's more of a response when I've been working in tubs that have other males first. I don't usually give mine the chance to get that defensive though and I'll pick them up before they get into striking positions. They usually switch back to running mode for me, sometimes with a little more thrashing than I'd like, but when putting them back in the enclosure they're usually snapped out of being little buttheads and would rather just go back to hiding.

I have had females sometimes get fussy like this, especially close to ovulation. Those are times I just leave them alone and don't really bother them much unless absolutely necessary.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2024),Luvyna (04-28-2024)

Thanks

Re: Territorial behaviour?

Thanks for the replies! Yes, he is my only snake.

I have seen him behave like this in the past a few times although it's pretty rare. I noticed it happening a lot more recently so it could be related to him being stressed from moving homes a few months ago.

I agree that this doesn't quite make sense as behaviour specifically related to breeding and it more likely suggests that the snake is not in a mood to be touched or bothered.

My BP only acts like this inside his enclosure, if I take him out he immediately becomes chill and docile.