Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,054

1 members and 3,053 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Day time exploring

He’s been exploring a bit more then usual in the morning the temp is 85 on the gray one 83 in the middle and 86 on the last one humidity is good last meal was 11/3/24 I offered on 4/15/24 and been offering every week/2 week have not interested
    there is a reticulated python in the dining area a Red Tail Boa in the dining area as well (in separate enclosures) and I’d like to see your set up I am looking around for different hideout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,201 Posts

Re: Day time exploring

The forum caresheet has a helpful section that I have copied below:

WHY WON'T MY SNAKE EAT?
    In almost all cases, a ball python refuses to eat due to husbandry issues. Especially a young one. If your snake misses more than 2-3 meals (sometimes they won't want to eat while in shed) please check the following possible causes:

Lack of Security -- No hides, or hides that are too large or exposed (ie: half logs). They prefer dark, tight hides they barely fit into. Also, if the enclosure is too large, or too open (glass) or in a high traffic area with a lot of loud noise or movement. Another snake in the same enclosure can also cause serious security issues.

Over Handling -- Frequent intrusions into the enclosure, changes to the enclosure, and/or long frequent handling sessions can cause a shy snake to feel vulnerable and refuse to eat.

Improper Temps -- Temps that are too high or too low, or temps that fluctuate too much. Make sure you have an accurate and consistent read on your temps.

Improper Lighting -- Bright white lights shining directly into the enclosure, or 24 hour lighting can cause stress. Make sure there is some sort of day/night cycle.

Offering New Prey -- Changing prey species (ie: mice to rats) or methods (ie: live to f/t) can cause refusal. Such changes can be made, but may require patience and persistence.

Improper Offering of Prey -- Offering prey too frequently can do more harm than good. If a snake refuses, do not attempt to feed again for a week. Also, changing environments by moving to a feeding-box or removing hides and "furniture" can cause refusal in these shy snakes.

Prey Too Large -- Too large an item may intimidate a snake and cause refusal, or even a regurgitation if it is eaten. Also, if a ball python has eaten large meals in the past, it can cause a sudden an indefinite period of fasting.

Mites -- An external parasite common to snakes that must be treated and eradicated. A product called Provent-a-Mite (P.A.M.) is the safest and most effective method.

Seasonal -- Sexually mature ball pythons may fast for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months during their mating season (typically anywhere from late fall to early spring) especially if a sexually mature snake of the opposite sex is in close proximity.

Illness -- If all other possible reasons are eliminated, a vet check may be in order to look for internal parasites, as well as possible infections to the skin, scales, mouth or respiratory system.

Fortunately, ball pythons are extremely hardy snakes that can go for months (if necessary) of fasting without suffering any ill effects. This gives a responsible keeper plenty of time to figure out why the snake refuses to eat and get them on a regular, consistent feeding regimen.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-19-2024 at 03:22 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2024)

Thanks

I didn’t see any mites he really like the rock looking one the 2 black one he barely to never uses. I’ve seen him use one of them on occasion when he’s trying to get out of his old skin the size are large will try a med I have two sensors on there one is to help regulate the heating pads, and CHE. The other is just to see what the difference is on the sensor. The house temp is set upper 70s the weather is starting to get warm here I have looked up the matting season and it’s past that that’s for the wild bp as for the captive BP I am not sure going to look in to that when I can as for the lighting I’m using a che and kinda leave the blind slanted because of how warm the bed room gets from the sun he is 5 years old pushing about 4.5 ft long and about 3 lbs move every one dose in grams I believe I do better in lbs some time last year I had him check out for parasites and came clean I have a small ish rat partly to how long it been and will probably be at med size for him when he decides to as for the noise I hand close the mudroom door instead of letting it close on its own I have a roommate that lets it close on it’s own which is a slamming sound

Thanks
    Thanked 19,855 Times in 11,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    He’s been exploring a bit more then usual in the morning the temp is 85 on the gray one 83 in the middle and 86 on the last one humidity is good last meal was 11/3/24 I offered on 4/15/24 and been offering every week/2 week have not interested
    there is a reticulated python in the dining area a Red Tail Boa in the dining area as well (in separate enclosures) and I’d like to see your set up I am looking around for different hideout

Exploring usually means a snake that doesn't feel secure &/or wants out (too warm, hungry, whatever)...another sign is not eating. You need to re-design his home if you want this snake to survive, because he NEEDS to be eating & for that, I'm betting he needs privacy.

Temps are not quite right- not cool enough on the low side (you want 78-80* F.) & not WARM enough on the high side (you want just under 90* F.) because a snake that's not warm enough is going to keep refusing food. (Last meal taken, I assume you meant 11/3/2023???)

Also- that's a big wide open enclosure- great for maybe a rat snake but not a shy BP- BPs want privacy, clutter, places to hide. Not bright lighting. It's just all wrong for this kind of snake.

If you've been handling this snake, STOP, until he's feeding reliably for a while.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2024 at 10:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (04-20-2024),Homebody (04-21-2024)

Thanks

The blind aren’t open all the way because of how warm it get and to dim the amount of light that comes in the bedroom

Thanks

He last shead was 4/8/24

Thanks

And just remember I unfortunately snore and sleep talk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Exploring usually means a snake that doesn't feel secure &/or wants out (too warm, hungry, whatever)...another sign is not eating. You need to re-design his home if you want this snake to survive, because he NEEDS to be eating & for that, I'm betting he needs privacy.

Temps are not quite right- not cool enough on the low side (you want 78-80* F.) & not WARM enough on the high side (you want just under 90* F.) because a snake that's not warm enough is going to keep refusing food. (Last meal taken, I assume you meant 11/3/2023???)

Also- that's a big wide open enclosure- great for maybe a rat snake but not a shy BP- BPs want privacy, clutter, places to hide. Not bright lighting. It's just all wrong for this kind of snake.

If you've been handling this snake, STOP, until he's feeding reliably for a while.
    ^ THIS^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,855 Times in 11,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    And just remember I unfortunately snore and sleep talk

What does that have to do with anything? Your snake isn't listening- they have very minimal hearing ability.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-24-2024)

Thanks

Ok

And a bit hard to do if the humidity need to be bump up a bit any suggestions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast