Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Bit of a weird question

Hi so abit of a weird one I’ve never had bad shedding problems in my snakes always nice all in one sheds I got a bamboo cinnamon calico girl she’s absolutely beautiful however her first shed with me was horrific all in bits her humidity was 70% both sides I then upped it to 90% when I saw she was in blue can it be genetics? Do some morphs have bad sheds? Is this a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    No, nothing to do with morphs. Individual health issues (including parasites, internal or external) can influence sheds, as can inadequate hydration & humidity levels, & also having a recent meal* can cause a terrible shed.

*Digestion takes up the body's extra water, which is also needed when shedding- a healthy snake actually secretes moisture between the old & new skin layers just prior to shedding, unless they are dehydrated- then they can't do that, & they end up with a stuck shed. That's why it's best to avoid feeding when you see that a snake is coming into a shed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (04-19-2024),Homebody (04-13-2024),Malum Argenteum (04-13-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Bit of a weird question

Your humidity is good so I think it just happens sometimes. I have a bullsnake who’s kept in great conditions but he’ll still have a bad shed occasionally. I have no idea why.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-19-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    No, nothing to do with morphs. Individual health issues (including parasites, internal or external) can influence sheds, as can inadequate hydration & humidity levels, & also having a recent meal* can cause a terrible shed.

*Digestion takes up the body's extra water, which is also needed when shedding- a healthy snake actually secretes moisture between the old & new skin layers just prior to shedding, unless they are dehydrated- then they can't do that, & they end up with a stuck shed. That's why it's best to avoid feeding when you see that a snake is coming into a shed.
    She did have a meal before hand but with me not having her that long I didnt even know she was due a shed next time she’s due ill
    Not feed her and see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Your humidity is good so I think it just happens sometimes. I have a bullsnake who’s kept in great conditions but he’ll still have a bad shed occasionally. I have no idea why.
    It’s strange isn’t it their must be some sort of reason why behind it I was thinking about getting arcadias shed support and trying that with her as I’m thinking it could be a lack of something

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A bad shed for a snake new to your ownership might have more to do with the husbandry of the snake with the previous owner than anything you are doing.

Give this girl another shed cycle or two to settle in with your good husbandry and that may fix the issue.
    - Emily

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (04-20-2024),Bogertophis (04-19-2024),Homebody (04-21-2024),Malum Argenteum (04-20-2024)