Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

2 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Heat mat set up

Thanks

Heat mat set up

Hey!

I recently moved my tubs to a different place and since then cant get temperature right in of of the tubs .

The bottom of the tub isnt perfectly straight so i taped the mat on the bottom + add some bits of polystyrene so the mat is in contact with the bottom of the tub everywhere (40% of the tub )

When set up for first time the gun was reading same temperature as the thermostat so it was all fine , but the next day and since then the temperatures go bananas for same reason so i play with it again for a bit and its fine for majority of the day but its like something always happened overnight ...

New thermostat is on the way , bu i thought maybe im doing something else wrong ?

Any tips how to properly heat uneven tub please ? They are just on the shelf its not a proper snake rack just the store like one .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: Heat mat set up

Pics would be helpful. This post will show you how to add them: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. What type of mat are you using? What type of thermostat?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Hi,
    I was thinking maybe to buy the heat mat glass holder but not sure it would help ? But then again people seem to manage to heat their tub properly with similar setup to mine i believe and this is the only guy i have issues with .

All the heat mats i use are habistat and im using this thermostat

I do have an habistat thermostat as ive seen breeders using it but i had similar issues and again only with this tub .

So this is what its sits on just to compensate the uneven tub .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalPhyton For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-25-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPhyton View Post
    When set up for first time the gun was reading same temperature as the thermostat so it was all fine , but the next day and since then the temperatures go bananas for same reason so i play with it again for a bit and its fine for majority of the day but its like something always happened overnight ...
    Go bananas how? Numbers, please. The temps are steady during the day at? At night the temps change to? Do the temps return during the day or do they stay off the mark?

One bit of advice, I can give you without hearing the answers to those questions is to relocate the probe outside the tub. Secure it between the mat the bottom of the tub. I realize he isn't dislodging it, but his laying on it may be affecting it in some way. Besides that, tape in a tub is safety hazard. Snakes have an uncanny ability of getting wrapped up in it. It can cause injuries.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-25-2024 at 06:43 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2024),RoyalPhyton (03-26-2024)

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Moved the probe out of the tub , thanks for the tip .

Everything is fine between 30-32 degrees during the day but when i check next morning it goes to around 34-35 degrees on average when checked multiple spots on the mat .

Every morning i find that he has pushed the hide away and just sits on back of the tub with no cover to compensate for the overheated mat or at least thats my ques .

For a minute i though its because the hide isnt covering the heat mat so it has to warm up more to hit the right them but then again the probe reading is not accurate in the mornings so cant be that .

It wont go back to normal by itself .

What i have to do every time is to play with the thermostat and the temp gun until the reading is accurate.

I just dont get how could it all go wrong over night .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalPhyton For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-26-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPhyton View Post
    What i have to do every time is to play with the thermostat and the temp gun until the reading is accurate.
    It sounds like you are under the misunderstanding that your thermostat setting and temp gun readings should agree. That's not the case. You should set your thermostat as high as you need to in order to reach basking temps as measured by your heat gun. It's not unusual for keepers to have to set their thermostats much higher than recommended basking temps in order for the temp in the enclosure, again, as measured by the heat gun, to reach basking temps. What matters is the temp in the enclosure, not the temp setting on your thermostat.

And I wouldn't call those temps bananas. I don't know what's causing your temps to jump overnight, but your temps are close enough that I think if you continue to monitor and tweak it, you'll figure out a setting that works.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2024),RoyalPhyton (03-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    This exactly ^ ^ ^ ! Adjust the thermostat to get the actual temperature you need inside the tub- and keep checking it for a while after an adjustment, because temperatures can take a while to settle (it takes time to heat up all the surrounding stuff after it's been too low).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-27-2024),RoyalPhyton (03-27-2024)

Thanks

Hi,

After moving the probe out and placing underneath the tub it seemed to sort the problem out !

Upped thermostat to 33.5 in order to maintain 30-32 degrees yesterday evening , checked again when i got back home and its spot on .

When setting up a new tub next time , ill stick to the same set up .

Thank you very much , no more frustration !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyalPhyton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2024),Homebody (03-27-2024)