Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

5 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Is My BP Sick?

Thanks

Is My BP Sick?

Hi all,

looking for some advice here.

My BP has been perfect to this point. She eats well, responds well to handling, had a few sheds, etc.

Yesterday morning, three times in about an hour I heard a loud sound coming from her enclosure. We recently added a waterfall to increase humidity, although it's still only 40-45% (she has lived like this since September without any adverse effects of the lower humidity - even her shedding has been no issue). At first I thought the sound was the waterfall running low on water, as it almost sounded like air caught in the pump. It stopped and I just ignored it.

Tonight, she is sitting on top of her hide, and as I looked at her, heard the sound again. It's definitely her, looks like a cough or sneeze.

There is no foaming or bubbles near her mouth. She doesn't appear to be in any distress. If anything, she's more active than normal, exploring where usually she stays in her hide. No star gazing. She is adding weight constantly (she's just under a year old). She is eating well. Her tongue is flicking often.

I see zero signs of anything to be concerned about, other than this loud sound she is occasionally making.

Should I be concerned, or is this somewhat normal?

Thanks all,

Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Is My BP Sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Yesterday morning, three times in about an hour I heard a loud sound coming from her enclosure. We recently added a waterfall to increase humidity, although it's still only 40-45% (she has lived like this since September without any adverse effects of the lower humidity - even her shedding has been no issue). At first I thought the sound was the waterfall running low on water, as it almost sounded like air caught in the pump. It stopped and I just ignored it.

Tonight, she is sitting on top of her hide, and as I looked at her, heard the sound again. It's definitely her, looks like a cough or sneeze.

There is no foaming or bubbles near her mouth. She doesn't appear to be in any distress. If anything, she's more active than normal, exploring where usually she stays in her hide. No star gazing. She is adding weight constantly (she's just under a year old). She is eating well. Her tongue is flicking often.
    Sounds like a fart to me. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. You should be concerned about the low humidity, however. You don't want to wait until she's sick to address it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Snakes are tough, but once they get sick, it can be tough for them to recover.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-17-2024),BeansTheDerp (03-17-2024),Bogertophis (03-17-2024),Ian C (03-17-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Sounds like a fart to me. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. You should be concerned about the low humidity, however. You don't want to wait until she's sick to address it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Snakes are tough, but once they get sick, it can be tough for them to recover.
    Really? A fart? I had no idea a snake fart could be that loud lol.

Thanks for the reassurance. And yes, we've been trying to get that humidity up since we got her in September. That's why we added the waterfall. We spray her sphagnum moss around her hide often, so pretty sure it's nice and humid in her favorite place to be. I'm wondering if my hydrometer is simply in a bad spot. Feels humid when we open the door, and her sheds all come off in one piece, two at the most.

Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Really? A fart? I had no idea a snake fart could be that loud lol...
    Some snakes are much better at farts than others. Some BPs seem to excel- I think it has to do with their wider body- perhaps the sound resonates more?

You're not the first person to be startled or concerned. Often snakes will pass gas when they are actively defecating- so whether you hear it or smell it first, it might be time to spot-clean. It might also have something to do with what her feeder rodents were fed. (cheap dog food? or beans & broccoli ?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-17-2024 at 12:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-17-2024),Ian C (03-18-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    I actually was going to say it sounds more like a fart too.
    They are surprisingly loud. My partner had no idea that they could "rip so much ass" and he was terrified something was wrong when he first heard it.
    They do sometimes open their mouths and thrash a little when it happens so it can look pretty scary too.

That said, still keep an eye out for anything funny. Make sure they're not too bloated. I had a girl get pretty bloated and gassy because of a large urate she was having a little trouble with.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 03-17-2024 at 02:25 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (03-17-2024),Bogertophis (03-17-2024),Homebody (03-17-2024),Ian C (03-18-2024)

Thanks

Thanks so much everyone. I have read so much about ball pythons and I have to say I never came across this anywhere, lol.

I feel much better about it. She's still doing well and ate fine today. No bloating I can see, no unusual behavior of any kind. No poop yet either, but it's been a couple of weeks so it should be any time now.

I wonder if there's a size correlation. She never did this before, but at the same time she is much thicker than she was back in September when we got her (healthy and muscular thick, not fatty).

Again, thank you all so much! I have learned so much in my short time here.

Ian

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian C For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    I think if my boy had legs he'd do that when ripping one and laugh about it. Firsttime I heard I got worried also though. so you're not alone.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

...I have read so much about ball pythons and I have to say I never came across this anywhere, lol...
    We try not to embarrass them...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-18-2024),Ruby (03-19-2024)