Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,395

3 members and 3,392 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Help: Air Release Inside Snake?

My ball has always loved going inside cardboard tubes and towel rolls, but I now believe he has out grown them considering this and a previous incident the other day where he struggled to fit. As he was trying to go through, I could hear him struggling a bit because his breathing was audible. I couldn't pull him out because I didn't want to injure him. As he was going through, I was holding near him back end to support him because he was exiting the tube and going into his enclosure. As he was going through, I felt some release of something inside him. It felt like a fart on the inside of his body. This was not near his vent or a hole, it was a few inches lower than his thickest part (he's ~40 inches).
    Did he burst an organ or break something trying to get out of the tube? Was it just the passage of gas/food? I feel like such a fool. I unwrapped the remaining towels and ripped it open as fast as I could. He is moving around and seems fine now but I'm afraid that I've gravely injured him. Should I run to the vet?

Thanks

Re: Help: Air Release Inside Snake?

I've never had this happen before neither have I seen it/heard of it, but I would be shocked if a paper towel tube managed to break something... gently feel down the snake, feel for any breaks in the ribs if you are concerned. He could have also passed gas, it happens in all animals.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

iambecomedeath (02-20-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-19-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Maybe he popped a joint? Like when you crack your knuckles or back. I know I felt one of my girls do that when she was resisting on me trying to keep her from wedging into a place she shouldn't be...

I would definitely keep an eye on them for any abnormal movements or if they seem tender. I would avoid giving them anything to climb more than a foot tall for a couple days just to make sure that there's nothing going on.

If anything changes, I would definitely get to a vet asap

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-19-2024),Bogertophis (02-19-2024),iambecomedeath (02-20-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-19-2024)

Thanks

What would a broken rib feel like? I did feel his body but he tends to tense up when I feel along him or gently squeeze. He doesn't get defensive or hiss or ball up at all though, and he hasn't since this happened last night. Regarding it being him passing gas, I was thinking that too, but it didn't seem like anything left his body. It felt like a release of something inside his body. I was holding just below his midsection and that's where I felt it.

Thanks

Is there a chance that he just tensed up? I don't think an organ would have popped, if so you would also be able to notice something and the snake would be in distress most likely.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

iambecomedeath (02-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    I've never had this happen before neither have I seen it/heard of it, but I would be shocked if a paper towel tube managed to break something... gently feel down the snake, feel for any breaks in the ribs if you are concerned. He could have also passed gas, it happens in all animals.
    You misread the question- the OP was holding onto the snake & the snake was pulling forward against that tension.

Quote Originally Posted by iambecomedeath View Post
    ...I was holding near him back end to support him because he was exiting the tube and going into his enclosure. As he was going through, I felt some release of something inside him....
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-19-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iambecomedeath View Post
    My ball has always loved going inside cardboard tubes and towel rolls, but I now believe he has out grown them considering this and a previous incident the other day where he struggled to fit. As he was trying to go through, I could hear him struggling a bit because his breathing was audible. I couldn't pull him out because I didn't want to injure him. As he was going through, I was holding near him back end to support him because he was exiting the tube and going into his enclosure. As he was going through, I felt some release of something inside him. It felt like a fart on the inside of his body. This was not near his vent or a hole, it was a few inches lower than his thickest part (he's ~40 inches).
    Did he burst an organ or break something trying to get out of the tube? Was it just the passage of gas/food? I feel like such a fool. I unwrapped the remaining towels and ripped it open as fast as I could. He is moving around and seems fine now but I'm afraid that I've gravely injured him. Should I run to the vet?
    Unless you just want to run to your vet for x-rays, I'd just wait & observe him closely for any abnormal behaviors, including a lack of appetite (that could indicate pain etc).

Because of the location (tail end) it doesn't seem likely that he's broken a rib, but that doesn't mean something else wasn't injured. Now you know- you don't have to literally pull on a snake to injure them internally- just merely hanging onto them when & if they pull forward hard enough, they can pop something. No way to know what exactly he did, or if there's any harm done. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him -& you.

I've given many paper towel rolls to snakes over the years- but never with any towels still on them. ***So if & when you need to get the snake out- without harm- all you have to do is separate the cardboard along the spiral "weak spot" & it will open up like a can of ready to bake cinnamon rolls.***
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-19-2024),BeansTheDerp (02-19-2024),iambecomedeath (02-20-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-19-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 424 Posts
    "Was it just the passage of gas/food? "

I would guess this. I agree with the 'monitor the snake' advice, and personally I'd try not to worry since everything is probably fine.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-19-2024),Bogertophis (02-20-2024),iambecomedeath (02-20-2024)

Thanks

I was just holding his weight, not holding him in place!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iambecomedeath For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-20-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You misread the question- the OP was holding onto the snake & the snake was pulling forward against that tension.

Okay thank you, now that I understand the question better I have actually had this happen before and my snake was fine afterwards. Like Armiyana said, I had basically just popped/cracked his back, just like we humans crack our knuckles or our backs. Monitoring is a good idea though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast