Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

1 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

14-foot snake among creatures rounded up in Mardi Gras crackdown, officials say

Miami Herald
    14-foot snake among creatures rounded up in Mardi Gras crackdown, officials say
    Irene Wright
    Fri, February 16, 2024 at 2:45 PM EST·2 min read

Before more than a million people could swarm the streets of New Orleans for Mardi Gras, a group of wildlife officials patrolled the streets for potentially dangerous creatures.

While the crowd was preparing for one of the biggest parties of the year, the officials were on the hunt, navigating the mass of people in the historic French Quarter between Feb. 9 and Feb. 14.

Then they saw someone walking down the street holding a python, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries told McClatchy News.

The 3-foot Burmese python belonged to a Baton Rouge resident, officials said, and was confiscated for violating Orleans Parish municipal codes. Another 3-foot snake, a ball python, was also found being carried by someone in the historic district.

Both were confiscated and safely removed from the area, officials said.

The snakes were small compared to what was coming next.

As the wildlife agents patrolled with members of the New Orleans Police Department, they received a call on Bourbon Street about someone else walking with a snake.

They responded and found a person walking with a 14.5-foot reticulated python, a constrictor snake, the agency said.

Officers closed in, causing the person holding the snake to drop it and run off, officials said. It was safely secured by the agents.

It didn’t stop there.

Wildlife agents reported seeing someone riding down the street on a bicycle with a live opossum in the bike’s basket.

The opossum was safely handed over to wildlife biologists, the agency said.

A fourth snake, a 10-foot python, was later discovered with its owner, and was also confiscated due to its size.

“Orleans Parish also has municipal codes that restrict ownership of snakes. That includes possession of any constrictor snake that is capable of growing to a size of 3 feet or larger. The snake does not have to be that size, only that it has the possibility of growing to that size,” the agency said.

Opossums are considered a wild animal by Orleans Parish municipal code and are illegal to own.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-17-2024),Bogertophis (02-17-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    What a ridiculous & hysterical law, to make 3' snakes illegal, for supposed "safety reasons".

But fearful & uninformed people aren't logical; they suggest restrictive laws to equally-ignorant legislators, & vote to make them happen. It takes ALL of our efforts to keep this from happening in more places, & to turn it around where it already has. Please, everyone...get involved! & support USARK too, while you're at it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-17-2024),Homebody (02-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts

Re: 14-foot snake among creatures rounded up in Mardi Gras crackdown, officials say

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What a ridiculous & hysterical law, to make 3' snakes illegal, for supposed "safety reasons".
    No, 3 foot constrictors. Like...corn snakes, I guess. Rosy boas. Childrens pythons. Dangerous creatures all!

(I think the Rats of NIMH wrote the law, honestly).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-18-2024),Bogertophis (02-17-2024),Homebody (02-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: 14-foot snake among creatures rounded up in Mardi Gras crackdown, officials say

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    No, 3 foot constrictors. Like...corn snakes, I guess. Rosy boas. Childrens pythons. Dangerous creatures all!

In many people's minds, ALL snakes are constrictors, AND venomous.

I'm lucky to be alive after all these years with all these deadly creatures in my house... Not counting the ones that actually were dangerous, I've somehow survived countless corn & rat snakes, rosy boas, king snakes, ball pythons, a giant hognose snake, an evil spotted python++ Oh the nightmares! the horror!

From what I know about New Orleans, maybe they're being super-pre-emptive, knowing how many rats inhabit their city, & figuring these snakes are going to grow HUGE in no time if allowed to roam?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-17-2024 at 08:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-18-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

But fearful & uninformed people aren't logical; they suggest restrictive laws to equally-ignorant legislators, & vote to make them happen. It takes ALL of our efforts to keep this from happening in more places, & to turn it around where it already has. Please, everyone...get involved! & support USARK too, while you're at it.
    3 feet makes me think safety wasn't the primary concern. I suspect PETA had a hand in this. They believe reptile keeping is inherently cruel and want to end the practice completely.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-18-2024 at 07:51 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-18-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

I snapped a picture of a rosy boa as it constricted me to death. Terrifying. (You might have to click for the full image)

Seriously though, I don't understand the fuss. I mean, I understand concern about someone owning a nearly 15 foot retty or a Burmese that could end up being quite large, but... a ball python? My cats are more dangerous than a BP.
    Last edited by bonito; 02-18-2024 at 10:50 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bonito For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-18-2024),Bogertophis (02-18-2024),Homebody (02-18-2024)