Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

3 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

transporting snake

hi there am selling my snake and the place i am selling it to is about a 7min bike ride away. I was wondering if it would be okay to transport her in a like food bag with installation like door dash bag or if it would cause problems for her. its around -1c here if not i can get a drive there

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    It's ALWAYS best to put a snake in a cloth bag (or pillow case) that's secured, then put that in an insulated ice chest of appropriate size (an insulated lunch box is fine if the snake fits). If it's too cold (& yes, below freezing is too cold), you want to include a source of heat, like a small water bottle with hot water in it. Or better yet, just get a ride there. Reason being, there is ALWAYS a possibility (no matter how unlikely) of a vehicle breakdown enroute (including a flat tire or other accident while on a bike or in a motor vehicle)- then what happens to your snake?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (02-15-2024)

Thanks

Re: transporting snake

okay perfect so put her in a cloth bag i still have the one she came in then inside the thermal bag with a hot water bottle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberrus View Post
    okay perfect so put her in a cloth bag i still have the one she came in then inside the thermal bag with a hot water bottle
    Well I'd test that out first- & by all means take the temperature of the water that you put in the bottle. Don't overheat- don't overwhelm your snake in a confined space, as that can kill them- when they have no room to get away from excessive heat. That's why I prefer to transport snakes in a larger "ice chest"- the snake shouldn't be right next to a heat source, & unable to get away, as when they're stuck in a bag.

If you do use a thermal bag, where the snake is very close to a warm bottle, it needs to be wrapped for protection of the snake & the water should only be about 84* at most. See what I'm saying? I'll never forget- years back a guy on another snake forum had his favorite snake in a bag on the floor of his truck for transport- it was a several hours drive, & he never stopped to check on the snake- it died, because it got too warm & couldn't escape (thermoregulate properly).

Even if a snake doesn't die, being excessively warm can cause irreversible nerve damage in snakes. Better for a snake to be too cool than too hot.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-14-2024 at 11:44 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (02-15-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well I'd test that out first- & by all means take the temperature of the water that you put in the bottle. Don't overheat- don't overwhelm your snake in a confined space, as that can kill them- when they have no room to get away from excessive heat. That's why I prefer to transport snakes in a larger "ice chest"- the snake shouldn't be right next to a heat source, & unable to get away, as when they're stuck in a bag.

If you do use a thermal bag, where the snake is very close to a warm bottle, it needs to be wrapped for protection of the snake & the water should only be about 84* at most. See what I'm saying? I'll never forget- years back a guy on another snake forum had his favorite snake in a bag on the floor of his truck for transport- it was a several hours drive, & he never stopped to check on the snake- it died, because it got too warm & couldn't escape (thermoregulate properly).

Even if a snake doesn't die, being excessively warm can cause irreversible nerve damage in snakes. Better for a snake to be too cool than too hot.
    okay perfect i will use the thermal bag but leave it open a bit for air flow and get a little bit hotter then lukewarm bottle wrap it in platic wrap. like i mentioned it is 5-6min walk so i will be there in no time i was more worried about the sudden shock of cold

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberrus View Post
    okay perfect i will use the thermal bag but leave it open a bit for air flow and get a little bit hotter then lukewarm bottle wrap it in platic wrap. like i mentioned it is 5-6min walk so i will be there in no time i was more worried about the sudden shock of cold
    Don't wrap a warm bottle in plastic wrap- use a terrycloth towel preferably, or even newspaper/or a paper bag to insulate. Plastic wrap doesn't work well for that- it won't "soften" the heat.

And actually, you said it was a 7 minute bike ride, which is a much greater distance than a 5-6 minute walk, but whatever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't wrap a warm bottle in plastic wrap- use a terrycloth towel preferably, or even newspaper/or a paper bag to insulate. Plastic wrap doesn't work well for that- it won't "soften" the heat.

And actually, you said it was a 7 minute bike ride, which is a much greater distance than a 5-6 minute walk, but whatever.
    okay will do and yes sorry bike ride

Thanks
    I just want you & your snake to get there safely-

Thanks

me aswell thank you very much for the tip