Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

2 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question What do you use to seal a wooden enclosure?

I've heard a lot of people recommend drylock but the internet, it says not to use it because of promotes mold growth I'm using this for a rainbow boa enclosure and I'm not too sure that spring tails and isopods will be able to keep mold under control. When I search up what to use to seal a wooden closure, Google recommends flex seal liquid rubber as I have stores nearby that have that unlike drylok, I'll have to order that. The flex seal page says that the liquid rubber flex seal is animal and plant safe once fully cured, It also comes in the same colors as drylok and seems to be the same thing. Has anyone used flex seal liquid rubber? And the reason why I'm not using pond shield is because I have disabilities and I won't be able to work with it as I need more time

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: What do you use to seal a wooden enclosure?

Post a pic of your enclosure. I'd love to see what you're putting together. This is my plywood enclosure. I sealed it with Varathane brand poly. It's great, low voc, so it cures quickly. I'm not sure it's up to the task of protecting wood from wet substrate, though. As you can see, I use a plastic tub on the bottom with a pvc shelf. I've always thought this set up would work well for a rainbow boa because the tub part holds humidity so well. It's a feature that's wasted on my Children's python.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-14-2024),Bogertophis (02-14-2024)

Thanks
    Drylok is a masonry sealant which is inert when dried/cured. It does not promote mold growth, nor does it inhibit it- it's inert. There is a newer product under the Drylok name that contains mold inhibitors, but these types of chemicals are usually discouraged in animal enclosures.

I've seen original Drylok used in aquaria and vivaria by experienced keepers without apparent issue, and I used it to seal the inside of my plywood ball python enclosure. I use a soil-type substrate covered with leaf litter and large chunks of oak bark, and the soil is consistently moist enough to support ficus and philodendrons.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoyb For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2024),Homebody (02-15-2024)