Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

3 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How are Thrive enclosures?

I've been looking at enclosures for a BP and found this nice 40 gallon Thrive tank (for temperate reptiles) at PetSmart of all places. People seem quite happy with it from what I can tell, however I've seen some complaints about other Thrive products and obviously PetSmart isn't exactly known for its quality. It's about $200 so if it's not too shoddy I'd love to get it :)
    Has anyone else used this or a similar tank? I'm curious as to how it compares to more expensive options and whether I should just spend my money on one of those. Thanks!

Thanks
    I haven't used thrive, but I do know that if you have an adult bp you are going to want something bigger than a 40 gallon. It is a good price but you can purchase 4x2x2 pvc enclosures that are better overall for $299 at dubia.com which is bigger and sold at a cheaper price for convenience.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

Glass enclosures with screen tops are poor at retaining the heat and humidity ball pythons require. Put the money toward a PVC enclosure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),Bogertophis (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,831 Times in 11,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bonito View Post
    I've been looking at enclosures for a BP and found this nice 40 gallon Thrive tank (for temperate reptiles) at PetSmart of all places. People seem quite happy with it from what I can tell, however I've seen some complaints about other Thrive products and obviously PetSmart isn't exactly known for its quality. It's about $200 so if it's not too shoddy I'd love to get it
    Has anyone else used this or a similar tank? I'm curious as to how it compares to more expensive options and whether I should just spend my money on one of those. Thanks!
    I can't speak for Thrive products, as I've not used any of them, but is this for a male or female BP? Females tend to get bigger than males- so while 40 gal. is usually big enough for a male, it might not be for a female BP. And either way, if your BP is young, it's going to take a long time for either one to outgrow a 40 gal. size. I'm glad you're researching first & hopefully you'll get more input from others that may have used this specific product.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-11-2024),BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    I haven't used thrive, but I do know that if you have an adult bp you are going to want something bigger than a 40 gallon. It is a good price but you can purchase 4x2x2 pvc enclosures that are better overall for $299 at dubia.com which is bigger and sold at a cheaper price for convenience.
    Those dubia.com enclosures have screen tops. They are better than this Thrive enclosure, but it's not what I would choose for a ball python.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-11-2024),BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Those dubia.com enclosures have screen tops. They are better than this Thrive enclosure, but it's not what I would choose for a ball python.

Yes I agree, I figured they were looking for a cheaper option, plus there are ways to cover the screens, which is why I suggested it. Honestly I suggest something from custom reptile habitats more...
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts
    If a person is looking for an enclosure in that size range at the $200 price point, I'd argue for an Animal Plastics T3 -- I think the larger footprint is worth more than the 18" of height in the '40g breeder' size of tank for a BP.

https://apcages.com/collections/terr...6l-x-24w-x-12h

I haven't used a Thrive enclosure. I have been told that replacement parts are not available for them, so a broken door or top means the cage is a complete loss. That makes them a little less desirable than an ExoTerra, and Exos can be purchased at real herp shops (which I like to support over chain stores).

I wouldn't recommend that anyone use a glass tank for a BP or any other snake that needs decent control over temps and moisture levels, simply for the far better conditions a PVC enclosure will provide.

Keep in mind that a glass tank will likely need two heat sources (a heat mat and a heat lamp/CHE (ceramic heat emitter)/DHP(deep heat projector)). A PVC enclosure will need only one (an RHP). That makes a PVC enclosure less costly to set up heat for (only one heat unit, and only one channel of thermostatic control).

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-11-2024),Bogertophis (02-12-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    If a person is looking for an enclosure in that size range at the $200 price point, I'd argue for an Animal Plastics T3 -- I think the larger footprint is worth more than the 18" of height in the '40g breeder' size of tank for a BP.

https://apcages.com/collections/terr...6l-x-24w-x-12h

I haven't used a Thrive enclosure. I have been told that replacement parts are not available for them, so a broken door or top means the cage is a complete loss. That makes them a little less desirable than an ExoTerra, and Exos can be purchased at real herp shops (which I like to support over chain stores).

I wouldn't recommend that anyone use a glass tank for a BP or any other snake that needs decent control over temps and moisture levels, simply for the far better conditions a PVC enclosure will provide.

Keep in mind that a glass tank will likely need two heat sources (a heat mat and a heat lamp/CHE (ceramic heat emitter)/DHP(deep heat projector)). A PVC enclosure will need only one (an RHP). That makes a PVC enclosure less costly to set up heat for (only one heat unit, and only one channel of thermostatic control).
    That's a really good point! I'll look into those, thank you so much

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bonito For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (02-12-2024)