Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

3 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Help? My BP is kinda dumb

So my BP Kevin cant seem to find the head, and it appears he has somehow ripped the guts out of the rat and im not sure if i should stop him? The rat is also wet and covered in mulch.
    Last edited by SmileyFriez; 01-23-2024 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: Help? My BP is kinda dumb

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFriez View Post
    So my BP Kevin cant seem to find the head, and it appears he has somehow ripped the guts out of the rat and im not sure if i should stop him? The rat is also wet and covered in mulch.
    • If you want your snake to eat head-first every time, then you need to get a different snake. BP's don't excel at this. At least, mine didn't. He took the rat butt first about half the time.
    • If you don't want your BP to bust open the rat and spill its guts everywhere, I don't know that there is much you can do. It'll happen from time to time. Don't overheat the rat and use fresh ones. It might help.
    • If you don't want your bp to eat feeders covered in mulch, feed on a plate.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-24-2024 at 09:21 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-24-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-24-2024)

Thanks

This is the first time hes had trouble finding the head. A lot of people say make sure the head is warmer than the body so it's easier for them to see it. As for him ripping the rat apart, I just waited for him to get bored and I threw it away. No chance of him eating it after how mangled it was. Ill try to feed him on a plate or a different tub from here on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SmileyFriez For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-24-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFriez View Post
    This is the first time hes had trouble finding the head. A lot of people say make sure the head is warmer than the body so it's easier for them to see it. As for him ripping the rat apart, I just waited for him to get bored and I threw it away. No chance of him eating it after how mangled it was. Ill try to feed him on a plate or a different tub from here on.
    Best to feed the snake where they live, not in a separate place, as moving them stresses some into not eating, or biting you if they're too eager. When you feed a BP, remember that BPs are ambush-predators- they want to lie in wait for prey to get too close to where they're hiding, & then pounce. Moving them disrupts that.

But do put something down over the substrate before feeding- never paper or cloth, as both pick up moisture & sticks to the prey, & can require surgery if your snake ingests it. Can also be lethal.
    But a large box lid of sturdy cardboard or plastic works well- even an actual plate, if you want.

Your feeder sounds like it might have been too "ripe"- as indicated by easily falling apart, especially in the gut region. How are you thawing prey? It matters.

Many snakes have trouble finding the head- & yes, it does help to use a blow-dryer to make the head warmer so the BP targets on the head easier. Otherwise, it takes practice for snakes, & some are just better than others. As you can tell, they don't use their vision effectively to sort things out. No, that would be too easy.

Also, use feeding tongs to offer prey head-first- but there again, I've had a snake that no matter how I offered it, he'd always want the opposite side!? Some snakes are just contrarians.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-24-2024),Armiyana (01-24-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-24-2024),Homebody (01-24-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-24-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    ....If you want your snake to eat head-first every time, then you need to get a different snake....
    I really wouldn't advise trading him in for this minor offense. The next one might be just as bad anyway.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-24-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-24-2024),Homebody (01-24-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I really wouldn't advise trading him in for this minor offense. The next one might be just as bad anyway.
    Neither would I, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some species are better at this than others. My Children's python is better than my BP was. Back when I still fed mice to my Children's, he took them head-first every time.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-24-2024 at 02:43 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2024)

Thanks

Neither would I, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some species are better at this than others. My Children's python is better than my BP was. Back when I still fed mice to my Children's, he took them head-first every time.
    I agree, some seem better than others. My rat snakes are pretty good, but then again, they have narrower faces & they have to be- so perhaps some species have evolved better skills in this area?

I've noticed that snakes with wider bodies and-or wider heads seem more apt to just push ahead rather than FIND the head...maybe it's because they can often get things down anyway, given enough time or motivation (hunger). When I used to keep rattlesnakes, they'd sometimes just eat them sideways...because they could. (the big show-offs!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-24-2024)

Thanks

Goodness the first meal Beans ever took for me was butt first... Ever since then everything has been head first, he will even drop the rat to go find the head so he can swallow it that way. It definitely varies from snake to snake, some are more stubborn than others which I'm sure we all know that already
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2024),Homebody (01-25-2024)