Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

2 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    As far as leaving a review on MM: I don't use MM, but it would seem to me that if this specific snake was listed on MM, as opposed to just the seller having a presence there but not listing this animal, I think that makes all the difference. And I'd be especially suspicious of this snake if she wasn't listed there- maybe they were just flipping her, or already knew something was amiss, which is my suspicion.

I'd go the extra mile for the histology too. Not surprising she was dehydrated, at the rate she kept losing fluid. So she was submitted frozen then, not just refrigerated?

I wonder what was causing the melena?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: URGENT Blood Python Very Sick

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    ...Looking back through the threads, it seems the snake is seven years old, and a retired breeder, but hasn't had a clutch for 'several years'. Sounds like she had a clutch once and never again, since there's not really time on that calendar for more. That's a little suspicious, and not exactly what I'd call a 'retired breeder'.
    More likely she wasn't a very successful breeder.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts
    You can leave a review on MM if you inquired through MM's messaging system about that specific animal, otherwise you can't even if you bought an animal that was listed.

I don't list some animals on MM that I have available. One reason for that it wouldn't be cost effective to ship them, which is probably the case here; SYR's biggest box from me to LA is $225. Other reasons are that the listings there for the species/morph are saturated and I don't want to give them away; they're low dollar animals that aren't worth the trouble to list and are easier to sell locally; they have a visual imperfection that doesn't make them less of a good pet but does prevent them from meeting MM's listing standards. I also don't list anything in the winter, because Wisconsin.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2024),Homebody (01-19-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As far as leaving a review on MM: I don't use MM, but it would seem to me that if this specific snake was listed on MM, as opposed to just the seller having a presence there but not listing this animal, I think that makes all the difference. And I'd be especially suspicious of this snake if she wasn't listed there- maybe they were just flipping her, or already knew something was amiss, which is my suspicion.

I don't doubt that could be what happened. She was one of 2 blood pythons at their stall of mostly boas. As far as I'm aware I don't think she was ever listed elsewhere. I think they had her for a few years, but told us the scars she had were from the previous owner feeding live. I'm not sure if it was them who bred her or the previous owners but we were told she was about 7 years old, used to be a breeder but now was retired.

Also just re-reading the report and realized that right before we brought her home, they sent us a pic of her being weighed. She was about 16lbs at the time of us bringing her home. This means she lost 3 lbs within the month we had her. That's a huge percentage of body weight to lose that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So she was submitted frozen then, not just refrigerated?
    And unfortunately yes, we put her in the garage fridge, then within the next few nights (with the ongoing snowstorm) it reached as low as -30. Went to go check her the day before we brought her to the diagnostics center and realized she was frozen solid I know that's not ideal but we're having to work with what we have and hope the integrity of the tissues is enough to work with after freezing.

I called the center today and told them I would like to go ahead with further testing. At this point I feel it's best education-wise and for peace of mind.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-20-2024),Bogertophis (01-20-2024),Homebody (01-20-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    Also just re-reading the report and realized that right before we brought her home, they sent us a pic of her being weighed. She was about 16lbs at the time of us bringing her home. This means she lost 3 lbs within the month we had her. That's a huge percentage of body weight to lose that quickly.
    Huh. I don't know there's any other way that can happen except severe dehydration. And even then I'm not sure. But there's no way that was just calories burned in excess of consumption. Maybe there's something to that excessive urination. Hopefully your vet can put all the pieces together once you have the most information you're able to get from the necropsy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2024)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123