Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Whining sound in 11 y/o BP

I've had Rosie, 11 year old ball Python around 4ft, had her for around 3 years. My first reptile and I'm learning as I go.

Recently she's started making a noise she's never made before. In fact is typically very quiet. Happens when I introduce food or if I reach in to touch her and gauge her sociability. It's a wheezy croaking whining sound. Varies how long she draws is out and volume. She's always be very social and docile with us and now seems to be bothered moreso. She's recently had a good shed and eaten a couple days ago. She's also started star gazing a lot. Nose pointed up in whatever position her body lies. Again this hasn't been typical until recently.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Whining sound in 11 y/o BP

The cause could be environmental. Please give us a brief description of your bp's enclosure. Include the hot and cold side temps and humidity percentage. A picture might help too. This thread will show you how to post them: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. The more information you give us, the better our advice will be.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-12-2024),Bogertophis (01-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-12-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Could also be an infection. So, it would also be helpful to know about your bp's exposure to other animals, particularly reptiles.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-12-2024),Bogertophis (01-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-12-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanLucia View Post
    I've had Rosie, 11 year old ball Python around 4ft, had her for around 3 years. My first reptile and I'm learning as I go.

Recently she's started making a noise she's never made before. In fact is typically very quiet. Happens when I introduce food or if I reach in to touch her and gauge her sociability. It's a wheezy croaking whining sound. Varies how long she draws is out and volume. She's always be very social and docile with us and now seems to be bothered moreso. She's recently had a good shed and eaten a couple days ago. She's also started star gazing a lot. Nose pointed up in whatever position her body lies. Again this hasn't been typical until recently.
    I agree, pics would help us to help you, including pics of snake's home. Not sure that what you're describing is "star gazing" either, so pls try to catch pix of that too. Also, what are the temperatures (highest & lowest) & humidity in the enclosure? What kind of heat is being used? Is it controlled with a thermostat?

A snake that's just pointing her head up may not actually be "star gazing" but it can indicate difficulty breathing*, as do the sounds you're describing- both may be an RI (respiratory infection) & she might even need to see a vet, because congestion from an RI can choke & kill a snake. Not trying to panic you- just trying to sort out what you meant.

If this is an RI, you're likely to see bubbling &/or mucus in or around the snake's mouth, &/or the snake may be mouth-breathing* (keeping head pointed up with mouth open to help breathing). If this is happening, get her to a vet A.S.A.P. A snake struggling to breathe with an RI may make various sounds: whistling, crackling, squeaking, wheezing... This sounds to me like what you're describing, unfortunately.

If you need a qualified herp vet, this may help you find one nearest you: https://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661

You said she shed recently, so another thing that can happen (because snakes also shed the outer lining of their nostrils when they shed their skin) is that if they don't have sufficient humidity, that outer lining can get stuck & remain when it should have come off. That can make for noisy breathing. Some snakes also push their faces into the substrate when trying to start the shed, & in doing so, they manage to cram some debris into their nose- that too, can make for noisy breathing. They may need some help (from a vet?) to remove whatever's bothering them- it could be a splinter, for example. What substrate are you using?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-12-2024 at 11:42 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-12-2024),Homebody (01-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-12-2024)