Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

1 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Soaking in water

Feeding well kinda when I check on him he’s back in the water dish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    I honestly think he's just getting ready to shed, but do keep a close eye on him just incase.
    I have one male who gets a VERY salmon colored belly right before shedding now that he's older and the first time I really saw it that red I thought it was septicemia. @_@

If he suddenly seems more lethargic or he sheds poorly and the skin is stuck around the red belly scales that would be more of a concern. That could be a burn or infection.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2024),Homebody (01-04-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-04-2024)

Thanks

Updat a few days ago I found mites I am treating him with the jurassic mite stuff I am currently looking up how cold to get the coconut bedding to kill all in any of the mites of what I’m seeing conflicting numbers any recommendations?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    You need to get serious & fast- mites reproduce exponentially. Don't waste your time trying to save your coconut bedding- throw it out. (Bag it securely & put in outside trash- do NOT dump it in your garden, because snake mites are NOT native to local snakes & you could do serious & irreparable harm to native species if they catch snake mites from yours. Mites also spread diseases.)

Do not use any substrate other than layer of white paper towels (so you can see mites & they can't hide) for past the time when you're sure they're gone. Also remove any decorations other than glass/plastic water bowl & plastic hides. Branches, even fake plants or wood tunnels can all hide mites & their eggs. Clean, clean, clean & keep cleaning!

With diligence & luck, it will take a month at least, more likely more than that. Any mite eggs left become the next wave- next generation of mites. You said there are other snakes in your home too? You probably need to treat all- I'm hoping they're in separate rooms, but even if so, mites can travel on your clothing when you handle snakes, so they may all need treated. LOOK & stay vigilant.

This from a previous discussion: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2771656
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2024 at 01:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-06-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Unfortunately, my roommate is not here to treat his snakes. One of them is in a shed more than I can handle he does know, and Ziggy is in a. Custom wooden terrarium.

Thanks
    The problem with treating only one snake is that mites will likely return- sharing in same household is very likely. You all need to get on board. I hope they don't all have mites, but they likely do.

"Custom wood terrarium" has nothing to do with anything...unless the walls are porous, not sealed? Then it needs to go. Mites may be tiny but they kill snakes- yes, kill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Not treated wood and spraying the light killer on the wood. I am not handling any of the snake because of that and the one that’s in a shed I was interested not to handle her because of her personality when roommate is not there she has not been handled much and a 19 foot snake

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggy31984 For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    Not treated wood and spraying the light killer on the wood. I am not handling any of the snake because of that and the one that’s in a shed I was interested not to handle her because of her personality when roommate is not there she has not been handled much and a 19 foot snake

Not likely to work. Do you understand why your snake is soaking? Yes, mites (biting) is irritating, but more to the point, snakes die from mites due to dehydration- because they don't have a lot of extra blood circulating, & mites can overwhelm a snake's circulatory system just by sucking out small amounts of blood. The snake can die from circulatory collapse & organ failure.

What are you spraying on the wood? That Jurassic Mite spray? Good luck...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2024 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

I have an apt for him to see what is a better option then the spray of what I have it suck that it’s at the end of the week

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    I have an apt for him to see what is a better option then the spray of what I have it suck that it’s at the end of the week

Did you even read the link I gave you above to bcr229's post?

From the linked post, this below is an excerpt: (& note that I'm pretty sure that your Jurassic Mite spray is the same active ingredient in this > Natural Chemistry spray, but you can & should -!- verify that yourself by reading the labels.)

*** Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray ***

Reptile Spray kills mites on contact while wet, once it dries it loses its effectiveness pretty quickly. Reptile Spray is a solution of salts rather than an insecticide; it kills mites by dehydrating them. I don't spray the snakes as more ends up on the floor than on the snake. Instead, I spray a white paper towel with it and wipe it on the snake. That way you get even coverage on the snake, you can work it into the area under their chin really well as that's a favorite hiding place for mites, you don't stress out your snake, and you can look for mites on the paper towel to see how quickly they're being eradicated. Apply twice a week. Note - this stuff hurts like hell in an open wound.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast