Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grow tent

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts
    Some quotes from the item reviews on Amazon:

"Not fully insulated against light ingress / egress caused by 2 or 3 spots of poor sewing."

"You have to give it some thought to get the plastic protectors positioned correctly on the frame so as not to tear the fabric."

"Zip broke 2 weeks in"

"Zip dodgy and hard to close at the front."

An enclosure needs to be 100% secure against escape, and be so for years on end. This doesn't sound like it would be.

Other things to think about are how to heat (secure attachment points for overhead heating; how to isolate heat sources from the snake), cleanability (is dried urate removable from the surface? I don't know), whether ventilation is sufficient and adjustable enough, how to attach branches and other decor securely.

I would not be comfortable thinking that a large active snake couldn't compromise the structure of that unit given enough time by pushing small holes and going between the frame tubes and the tent wall.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-03-2024),Bogertophis (01-03-2024),Homebody (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Grow tent

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    I have a reptile room that’s never below 25c that’s the problem in uk pvc is harder to come by bigger than 4 foot anyway I’m doing a lot of research into it before making a decision I want to upgrade all my pythons to 5 foot plus so I’m looking into it all first
    I suppose it could work. Hopefully, it's not your best option. I'd be tough to view your bp in this thing.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

"Not fully insulated against light ingress / egress caused by 2 or 3 spots of poor sewing."

"You have to give it some thought to get the plastic protectors positioned correctly on the frame so as not to tear the fabric."

"Zip broke 2 weeks in"

An enclosure needs to be 100% secure against escape, and be so for years on end. This doesn't sound like it would be.

Other things to think about are how to heat (secure attachment points for overhead heating; how to isolate heat sources from the snake), cleanability (is dried urate removable from the surface? I don't know), whether ventilation is sufficient and adjustable enough, how to attach branches and other decor securely.

I would not be comfortable thinking that a large active snake couldn't compromise the structure of that unit given enough time by pushing small holes and going between the frame tubes and the tent wall.
    Good points, all.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-03-2024),Bluebell_1990 (01-03-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I've modified furniture cabinets to successfully house snakes so I'm in favor of "thinking outside the box" & being creative when keeping snakes. I can see why you're looking at the space, dimensions, & price tag & thinking "why not?" But I question whether a grow tent would have enough structural strength for daily testing by an inquisitive snake, & a product that's just designed to hold plants may also have many sharp or abrasive edges inside- because they don't expect live creatures to be sliding around inside it. Whenever you use a product it's not designed for, the safety factor is on you.

Reading the product reviews tells you what many of the problems might be- ie. imperfect construction. But it seems like the only thing you'll be happy with is to try it & see. I hope you let us know how it goes. I really wish JP23 had updated their experience with this.

Afterthought- ever get a stuck zipper on your clothing? These zippers are going to get a lot of use- I hope they're up to the task, because if not, it would be awfully hard to fix.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-03-2024),Bluebell_1990 (01-03-2024),Homebody (01-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've modified furniture cabinets to successfully house snakes so I'm in favor of "thinking outside the box" & being creative when keeping snakes. I can see why you're looking at the space, dimensions, & price tag & thinking "why not?" But I question whether a grow tent would have enough structural strength for daily testing by an inquisitive snake, & a product that's just designed to hold plants may also have many sharp or abrasive edges inside- because they don't expect live creatures to be sliding around inside it. Whenever you use a product it's not designed for, the safety factor is on you.

Reading the product reviews tells you what many of the problems might be- ie. imperfect construction. But it seems like the only thing you'll be happy with is to try it & see. I hope you let us know how it goes. I really wish JP23 had updated their experience with this.

Afterthought- ever get a stuck zipper on your clothing? These zippers are going to get a lot of use- I hope they're up to the task, because if not, it would be awfully hard to fix.
    It’s the sizing and humidity side of things yes of course the price is good too well I have ordered it along with things to make a custom background to make the structure abit more solid I will be lining it with pond liner which I do with all of my tanks I will be sure to update I have the tank she currently is in and if I don’t think it’s structurally good when I’ve finished it I will be buying a wooden vivarium for her so fingers crossed haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I suppose it could work. Hopefully, it's not your best option. I'd be tough to view your bp in this thing.
    It’s a do it up and see option I’ve ordered it along with stuff to make a background and things I would normally do if before putting her in I don’t feel it’s safe I’m not happy with it I will just buy a wooden vivarium it’s not something I have to do it’s something I’m giving a go before she goes in and seeing how I feel if it works great if not then I will just buy one

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2024),Homebody (01-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

"Zip broke 2 weeks in"

I have read through the reviews I’ve ordered it I’m going to see once I’ve bought and modified it I will be putting pond liner on the bottom as I do with all my tanks that’s easily cleaned the branches you can hang with rope from support bars the heating I can use a Arcadia dome with the cage on the bottom

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Even if it doesn't work out for full-time occupation, it would probably good for a supervised exercise enclosure, but I do hope it all goes well anyway. Sometimes trying is the only way to know.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Yeh I can definitely keep it as the nosey tent so it’s still going to benefit them either way

Thanks

UPDATE! All set up the wood on the top is the uvb and heat lamp is screwed into the new resident is currently enjoying it but I will be checking for me it’s not long term this is very temporary a month or two at most but I will be keeping it for enrichment and a just incase situation

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-31-2024),Bogertophis (01-31-2024),Homebody (01-31-2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12