Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

2 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

The daredevil flight to save rare birds

By Sophie Hardach18th December 2023

Storms, an eagle attack, emergency landings, and a unique bond: how scientists led a flight of endangered ibises on a 2,300km journey to their new winter sanctuary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/future/article...ith-rare-birds

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-01-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts
    That's cool, and really good that people are willing and able to do this. Kind of unfortunate that we have to micromanage so much of the "natural" world, though.

Reminds me of a similar project here in the US with whooping cranes (not sure whether they use the ultralight technique anymore, but that was a big part of initial efforts):

https://savingcranes.org/learn/speci...into-the-wild/

We are members of ICF - the pair of sandhills that nest on our property are part of their ongoing research population (this year was the worst breeding season on record, unfortunately). I got to help capture and tag (glue a transmitter onto) a young crane once, which was really cool. That particular crane ended up as coyote food; so it goes.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; 01-01-2024 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added clarification

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-01-2024),Bogertophis (01-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: The daredevil flight to save rare birds

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    That's cool, and really good that people are willing and able to do this. Kind of unfortunate that we have to micromanage so much of the "natural" world, though.

Reminds me of a similar project here in the US with whooping cranes (not sure whether they use the ultralight technique anymore, but that was a big part of initial efforts):

https://savingcranes.org/learn/speci...into-the-wild/

We are members of ICF - the pair of sandhills that nest on our property are part of their ongoing research population (this year was the worst breeding season on record, unfortunately). I got to help capture and tag (glue a transmitter onto) a young crane once, which was really cool. That particular crane ended up as coyote food; so it goes.
    I agree, it's rather sad but now essential help for the natural world. And I remember seeing something about leading other birds with an ultralight- that's so cool that you have some sandhills in your midst, & that you've had a chance to help.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-01-2024)