Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,427

0 members and 3,427 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Pastel Desert Ghost male shedding

Hi, I got my ball python yesterday, the vivarium has been set up with a temp of 85f on the warmer side and 75f on the cooler side. The humidity as of now I am unsure of as I do not have a hygrometer yet. I was given the chart for the BPs feeding and shedding history and it has not shed since the 20th September 2023, it was hatched on the 07/07/23. The enclosure that it was in before I had bought him was very small and did not look humid at all nor did it have any source of heat. Is it normal for it to not shed for months at a time? I read that it was supposed to be between 4-7 weeks.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    There is no set time when snakes shed their skins- it all depends on growth. Whether you buy a snake from a breeder or a pet store, many of them under-feed hatchlings prior to sale so they don't grow up too fast & out-grow the small enclosure they were kept in. FYI, I don't agree with this, & all snakes I've raised were well-fed, but this is unfortunately a common practice in the industry.

So don't worry about the lack of previous sheds in the record (-I give them credit for at least providing the feeding record!). Even if the chart shows many feedings, it's possible that the snake was only fed smaller-than-optimal prey, so the nutrition was just for "maintenance" & not enough to allow growth. They also might have just forgotten to chart the sheds.

It's very important that you initially feed your snake the same as it was fed previously, & also not right away. Give the snake some time to settle in- like a week, & with no handling. New snakes are very stressed & may refuse food given, or may consume it and thereafter regurgitate it. It's best by far to avoid that scenario, so be patient.

I can't stress this enough- don't try to make up for "lost time" by over-feeding your new snake. Only gradually increase the size of prey given- because a snake that's underfed may not be able to digest much more right off. Go slow, be patient...& understand that snakes live this way in the wild & survive just fine. Snakes that are a little under-fed are actually better off than those which are over-fed.

A young BP should not eat more often than once a week, to give plenty of time for them to fully digest. Feeding too soon, or too large a meal, means their digestive enzymes may not be able to handle it, & for a snake, the regurgitation of a meal is very bad, because they can aspirate & actually choke (to death) or get a lung infection. Please, just take it slow- I know how eager you are to do the best for your new pet, & believe me, this is the best way forward.

You didn't mention but I hope your snake has at least 2 hides also- one on the cool side & one on the warm side. BPs are shy snakes & "ambush-predators"- they need hiding places to feel secure enough to grab their prey, especially when they're trying to adapt to a scary new home.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-31-2023)

Thanks

Re: Pastel Desert Ghost male shedding

I appreciate the reply

I haven't fed by BP yet as I was told it was last fed tuesday, which means ill be feeding it the following tuesday/wednesday after it has settled in. On the feeding chart it shows as it being fed once a week since it hatched and it had a 3 week long strike about 2 months ago but it has been eating fine since.

My BP does have two hides but it isn't as interested in the hide on the cooler side as it is on the warmer side. I'm assuming this is because they aren't the exact same hides so it'll favour one more than the other because it feels more secure, I'll buy a 2nd hide of the one that it favours the most and put that in place of the one on the cooler side so they're both exactly the same. I'm assuming they should both be the same anyway?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: Pastel Desert Ghost male shedding

Quote Originally Posted by densetoaster View Post
    My BP does have two hides but it isn't as interested in the hide on the cooler side as it is on the warmer side. I'm assuming this is because they aren't the exact same hides so it'll favour one more than the other because it feels more secure, I'll buy a 2nd hide of the one that it favours the most and put that in place of the one on the cooler side so they're both exactly the same. I'm assuming they should both be the same anyway?
    Yes. The warm and cool side hides should be the same. This is so that the snake will properly thermoregulate. You don't want a hot snake hanging out on the warm side because he likes that hide better. If the hides are the same, it will choose the hide that best fits its temperature needs.

And your bp may be favoring its warm side hide because the cool side is too cool. I'd slowly (degree by degree over hours, even days) raise your temps by about 5F degrees. If you haven't done so, you should review the forum's care guide for ball pythons. It's very helpful for new keepers.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2023)