Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

2 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible RI? Please help!

I got my bci Rosa a couple weeks ago and she seemed to be doing great. However last week I noticed a popping sound when I held her near my ear. I’m so terrified that it’s an RI. The popping/clicking(?) is her only symptom however. No bubbles, mucus, etc. Her nostrils are clear and she ate two days ago and shed on Christmas Eve. Is it possible that this sound is something else? I only notice it when I handle her and I’m not sure if it’s her nose or her body making that sound. Can it be a noise caused by stress, bones/scales or maybe pressure from my hand on her lung? And if it is an RI will the vet be able to do all the injections? I have a disability that affects my motor skills and even without it I doubt I’d have the heart or stomach to inject her with a needle.

Here is her setup info:
    87F on the hot side
    75-80F on the cool side
    80% humidity
    paper towel substrate (temporary)

I’m taking her to the vet early next week because my anxiety is through the roof and I’m so so scared that she is going to die

Thanks

Re: Possible RI? Please help!

I don't know for sure if it is an RI or not, but if that is the only symptom and it is an RI then you have probably caught the RI early on which should make it easier to treat (I think). I do know that my BP used to make a slight sound when he was breathing but I never thought anything of it because he had no other symptoms and the vet has never found any issues with him since we got him other than times where he wasn't drinking his water and was a bit dehydrated or a situation we had where he didn't eat for a ridiculous amount of time. To calm your anxiety and make absolutely sure, then take your snake to the vet just like you're doing. I don't know how often or how many shots will have to be given, so the vets ability to give the shots might vary... Again I don't have experience with treating a snake with RI so I don't know much about the shots or vet treatments. If the vet is unable to then could someone else in your family help you? Or maybe if you mention it to the vet they will have some way to help you with it or at least give advice.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (12-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    I give you credit for paying attention, but don't panic, okay? There's several harmless possible reasons for little popping sounds. She might have some water in her nostrils, or tiny bits of shed skin from her most recent shed- they shed the outer linings of their nostrils, & little bits are easily left behind. Your humidity is awfully high too, so that might be contributing. Was this sound there before her recent shed??? Or only after?

There's also the 'forced exhale' that happens when a snake's body is "folded" during handling, because their lung runs a long way down their body- but that's not usually a popping sound- more like a hiss, only it's quite unintentional on their part.

I think you're jumping to a conclusion, & antibiotics are not without negative side effects, so I'd suggest you not run immediately to a vet with this, because some more than others are all too happy to give antibiotics "just in case". The minor sound you're describing bears watching (or rather listening to) for a while, but it's most likely nothing. If this was the start of an RI, you'll soon be seeing bubbles or excess slime in her mouth, & open mouth breathing. This is most likely from the shed she just had. Do try to relax...

Good job, btw, using paper towels for temporary substrate. Not finding any mites, I hope? Is your vet very experienced with exotics (reptiles)? If not, you'll want to find one that is, just in case. This site can help: https://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-30-2023),BeansTheDerp (12-30-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-30-2023),nikkiwhiskers (12-30-2023)

Thanks

For sure a much better answer than I had, Bogertophis to the rescue!
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-30-2023),Bogertophis (12-30-2023)

Thanks

Thank you! Yes, I noticed it before she shed as well but I was unsure if it was related to the shedding or not. No mites so that’s great at least! I’ll lower the humidity and see if that does anything. Luckily there is a vet that sees snakes near me so I do have somewhere to go in case it does turn out to be an RI. I feel a lot better now at least!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkiwhiskers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 424 Posts
    I'm not disagreeing with any previous posters, but just offering my view. As I get to know my vet better I am becoming more likely to bring a reptile in to see her even if I'm not sure it is ill -- actually, especially if I'm not sure. I trust my vet's judgment, though, and I do substantial research on my end (not just when a snake is showing symptoms, but in general).

I agree that using antibiotics 'just in case' is in general a bad idea. It also seems that some vets really underestimate the possibility of a viral component to RIs, too, so getting clear on the causal factors is really important. Treating without testing wastes money, time and risks the animal's health.

But sometimes a qualified herp vet is pretty certain that the symptoms are indicative of an RI. If things are serious enough then getting meds on board may be more prudent than waiting for cultures and viral swabs to come back. I don't suspect that's what's going on in your case, just to clarify.

I do agree than panicking isn't warranted. Usually nothing is wrong. Having a vet's confirmation of that fact can be very useful, at least in my experience.

I suspect that going into the vet with an attitude that expresses a conservative outlook ('I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong, but would like to make sure') leads to more reasonable treatment recommendations than one that implies that you'll be upset if the vet doesn't move the earth and moon ('My snake's going to die oh no oh no!'). Little cues can move someone who's on the fence about a decision, and if a snake owner gives every indication that they're calm and reasonable then I think a reasonable treatment suggestion will follow.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2023),Homebody (12-31-2023),nikkiwhiskers (12-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with any previous posters, but just offering my view. As I get to know my vet better I am becoming more likely to bring a reptile in to see her even if I'm not sure it is ill -- actually, especially if I'm not sure. I trust my vet's judgment, though, and I do substantial research on my end (not just when a snake is showing symptoms, but in general).

I agree that using antibiotics 'just in case' is in general a bad idea. It also seems that some vets really underestimate the possibility of a viral component to RIs, too, so getting clear on the causal factors is really important. Treating without testing wastes money, time and risks the animal's health.

But sometimes a qualified herp vet is pretty certain that the symptoms are indicative of an RI. If things are serious enough then getting meds on board may be more prudent than waiting for cultures and viral swabs to come back. I don't suspect that's what's going on in your case, just to clarify.

I do agree than panicking isn't warranted. Usually nothing is wrong. Having a vet's confirmation of that fact can be very useful, at least in my experience.

I suspect that going into the vet with an attitude that expresses a conservative outlook ('I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong, but would like to make sure') leads to more reasonable treatment recommendations than one that implies that you'll be upset if the vet doesn't move the earth and moon ('My snake's going to die oh no oh no!'). Little cues can move someone who's on the fence about a decision, and if a snake owner gives every indication that they're calm and reasonable then I think a reasonable treatment suggestion will follow.
    Yes to all this ^ ^ ^!!! If there is a health concern, catching it early is very prudent. But stay calm & optimistic about it, & convey that to your vet if you do go. Keep in mind that when I first answered this, I had no way of knowing whether you had a vet with herp experience nearby, & people who are panicked about their pet can inspire some less experienced vets into "trial & error" approach in an effort to pacify the owner. Best case scenario, like Malum said, is when you already have an experienced herp vet you know & trust.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwhiskers View Post
    Thank you! Yes, I noticed it before she shed as well but I was unsure if it was related to the shedding or not. No mites so that’s great at least! I’ll lower the humidity and see if that does anything. Luckily there is a vet that sees snakes near me so I do have somewhere to go in case it does turn out to be an RI. I feel a lot better now at least!
    It's still possible that she had a bit of debris* or shed stuck in one or more nostrils from a previous shed that "could" cause this sound now, so just keep that in mind. And just so you know, I've had a few snakes over the years that did this exact thing, & it didn't turn out to be an RI.

*Being on paper towels for substrate won't contribute debris that she might have inhaled, but if you got her from a pet store, for example, she may have been on a substrate where this could happen- especially because snakes are often not given much to hide in- so buyers can see them on display- so in desperation they try to dig under the substrate with the only thing they have- their faces- & that can put stuff into their nostrils that doesn't belong there. See? You might try to find out what she was kept on before you bought her, if you don't already know.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-30-2023 at 11:42 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-30-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-30-2023)

Thanks

She looked to be on some cypress mulch or coco fiber before I got her so that could be it

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkiwhiskers For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-30-2023),Bogertophis (12-30-2023)

Thanks
    Basics...

Quit handing the boa. Stress is the biggest killer.
    Drop the humidy to 50%.
    Raise the temp on the hot side to 90 or a little better.
    Remove any direct lighting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Not to be a bother but I’m just wondering, how long would it take for additional symptoms to appear? I’m asking just so I know when I can safely rule out an RI without waiting too long!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast