Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

2 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Zoo Med Terrarium Help!!

Hey folks,

Quick question and sorry if its been asked and answered, this is my first Zoo Med Terrarium front door opening tank and i looked everywhere and it has two screen tops that are removable, but how i remember my old BP they love to test limits and push screens and i tested with just a small amount of pressure and i can pop one side open, im wondering if there were any trick or something i can get to make sure it doesn’t happen? Thanks for any help in advance and also if the question has been answered if ya’ll can point me in the right direction i appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Yikes- I'm glad you noticed that before you have to hunt for a loose snake. There's many ways to secure cage tops but without seeing it, it's hard to advise what will work the best- & even just seeing it online might not be the best way to tell- there's nothing like seeing in person.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CaribbeanBP (12-12-2023),Homebody (12-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 426 Posts
    I currently have 10 ExoTerras and 3 ZooMeds in use (none with snakes in; I would not trust them with any snake), so can compare and test. Unfortunately, the tops on ZooMeds aren't secure against upward pressure, as they have a catch on each side (R and L) on the outside of the top that releases the screen when either catch is pushed inward (so, the L hand catch pushed to the right, etc). Those latches are part of the screen top itself, and do little more than provide a little spring pressure to hold the top in place. You can see them in the photo here: https://reptilerapture.net/zoo-med-r...top-18x18.html

I just pushed up on the inside of the top of one of my ZooMeds, and the screen popped out with an amount of pressure that a BP could muster.

That screen frame and the top frame of the enclosure is probably styrene (they are on ExoTerras), though you may want to confirm that with ZooMed. If a person knows what plastic they're made of, the appropriate Weld-On glue would be a permanent fix, to permanently seal the screen top on. Some folks swear by Lexel for this sort of application, and that's less dependent on the specific plastic so may be a good option.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-10-2023),Bogertophis (12-11-2023),CaribbeanBP (12-12-2023),Homebody (12-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: Zoo Med Terrarium Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanBP View Post
    Hey folks,

Quick question and sorry if its been asked and answered, this is my first Zoo Med Terrarium front door opening tank and i looked everywhere and it has two screen tops that are removable, but how i remember my old BP they love to test limits and push screens and i tested with just a small amount of pressure and i can pop one side open, im wondering if there were any trick or something i can get to make sure it doesn’t happen? Thanks for any help in advance and also if the question has been answered if ya’ll can point me in the right direction i appreciate it!
    I agree that this enclosure is not secure enough. I had a BP push his way out of a tub secured with a plastic clip on each side. So, I reinforced those clips with spring clamps. He still pushed his way out. BPs (adults, at least) are very strong, so the lid needs to be very secure.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-11-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2023),CaribbeanBP (12-12-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-11-2023)

Thanks
    Sounds like a very poor design- they should state on the product that it's not suitable or intended for snakes, but unfortunately they'd rather make more sales.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CaribbeanBP (12-12-2023),Homebody (12-11-2023)

Thanks

Thanks that’s exactly what ima do just seal it closed i appreciate all the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I currently have 10 ExoTerras and 3 ZooMeds in use (none with snakes in; I would not trust them with any snake), so can compare and test. Unfortunately, the tops on ZooMeds aren't secure against upward pressure, as they have a catch on each side (R and L) on the outside of the top that releases the screen when either catch is pushed inward (so, the L hand catch pushed to the right, etc). Those latches are part of the screen top itself, and do little more than provide a little spring pressure to hold the top in place. You can see them in the photo here: https://reptilerapture.net/zoo-med-r...top-18x18.html

I just pushed up on the inside of the top of one of my ZooMeds, and the screen popped out with an amount of pressure that a BP could muster.

That screen frame and the top frame of the enclosure is probably styrene (they are on ExoTerras), though you may want to confirm that with ZooMed. If a person knows what plastic they're made of, the appropriate Weld-On glue would be a permanent fix, to permanently seal the screen top on. Some folks swear by Lexel for this sort of application, and that's less dependent on the specific plastic so may be a good option.
    definitely what ima try i appreciate it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yikes- I'm glad you noticed that before you have to hunt for a loose snake. There's many ways to secure cage tops but without seeing it, it's hard to advise what will work the best- & even just seeing it online might not be the best way to tell- there's nothing like seeing in person.
    yea i was trying to upload a picture but i agree its a huge scam and they definitely dont seem capable of being snake ready! Im not taking chances sealing it up before the snake is in lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CaribbeanBP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2023)

Thanks
    You're lucky that BPs are so big- they cannot fit thru tiny gaps. As a long-time colubrid keeper (& used-to breed some), I've seen some very determined & creative escapes, & it's why I started making my own "tank tops". Had a glass terrarium with sliding screen top- seemed very secure in the frame, but even with the pin holding it shut, there was just enough wiggle room (literally!) in the gap in the track for a tiny hatchling king snake to sneak out, following the gap all the way around. It's like who would ever think a snake would try that- but we have to remember they have all the time in the world to contemplate such things...