Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

3 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New to breeding: Bowl wrapping = time to pair?

We purchased an adult female that is breeding age and weight a bit ago and she seems to have settled in well. She is seeking the cooler side in the last week or and will bowl wrap from time to time as well. I'm assuming she is building follicles and it is exciting to see. The male we would like to pair her with is in the tub next door and he is trying desperately to push his way into her tub. Should I start pairing the two even though she likely hasn't ovulated yet or should I wait until she starts heat seeking again knowing she is more likely ovulating at that time?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    In humans, ovulation is the best time to mate to produce an offspring. That is not the case in snakes, and the exact timing of when is best to breed depends on the species because some retain sperm longer than others. The basic gist though is that there is time they are building follicles, and somewhere in here is where pairing takes place to get sperm into the female. Ovulation in a snake is when the female releases the eggs to a different part of her body, and the eggs can be fertilized from the sperm she has retained. You cannot pair a female during ovulation. By that point it is far too late.

How long have you had her? Have you conditioned her for breeding in any way? How has her feeding response been the last few weeks? Have her and this male been appropriately quarantined for at least 90 days? Are you certain her temps are correct and she isn't just cool seeking because it's too hot? Do you have an incubator ready to go and understand how to use it? Do you have a thorough plan how to sell the offspring and what you are going to do if they won't sell? Do you have a hatchling rack ready to go? Can you afford vet bills if something goes wrong in laying? Does this pairing produce something that will be helpful in a project you are really passionate about?

These are all very important things to consider before you think about pairing them. I have my doubts that you have considered them in depth and done your due diligence to learn how to do things if you are under the impression that ovulation is the appropriate time to pair them. Nothing good will come of pairing them before you have solid plans and know what you are doing. I'm not trying to be mean or make flash judgements here, I'm trying to help save you some heartache, so I hope you will take what I'm saying into account instead of just writing me off as an elitist jerk. I want to set you up for success.

She may be in the correct part of her breeding season based on the information you gave, but I cannot guarantee it is appropriate timing to breed her or that she is in breeding condition without a lot more information.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-13-2023),Bogertophis (12-10-2023),GoingPostal (12-10-2023)