Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

3 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

White scale (Amazon rainbow boa).

Has anyone who has a rainbow boa from Brazil seen this? She recently shed her skin, and some of her scales have turned completely white.

Thanks

Smile Re: White scale (Amazon rainbow boa).

It's worth remembering that the animal is fine.
    Eating normally, normal weight gain. It lives in a terrarium with adequate humidity and temperature. I'm just bothered by this little white scale. Would this be a skin shedding failure?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,831 Times in 11,848 Posts
    It's in exactly the right place to be a 'head-rub" (a little scar from rubbing the top of the head- you didn't notice the scab because it wasn't white, then the scale came off with the shed, due to the slight damage). Nothing you can do about it- scale is not likely to re-grow or color up. Best to find any abrasive issues in the snake's enclosure & try to minimize them- including a larger home if that seems to be the cause.

This is very common with many species of captive snakes- some habitually rub their heads much more than others, but others, it's just a one-off. If the enclosure has a screen top (which I realize is unlikely, given the species) make sure the screen is not abrasive. (ie. Use nylon screen, not "hardware cloth" or metal screen. I make my own tank tops with a wood frame & 2 layers of screen: nylon on the inside, & hardware cloth-for strength & rigidity- for the outer layer. )

If it's not a head rub, the only other thing is just a loss of color for no particular reason- & nothing you can do about that anyway. Some snakes can show color fade- it's not common though, & it's an odd coincidence considering the location on top of the head. I don't see any retained shed- that doesn't appear to be the issue.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-06-2023 at 05:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-06-2023),Homebody (12-07-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 842 Posts
    Are you sure the scale didn't come off? It looks indented in the first picture, like it's actually just the skin from under the scale. Like Bogertophis said, just the right spot for rubbing. The skin itself if that's what's going on, looks healthy. So I wouldn't worry.

Otherwise, some animals do just change color with age. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few darker or lighter color scales depending on the species.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-07-2023)

Thanks

Re: White scale (Amazon rainbow boa).

Good afternoon. thank you for the answer.
    I'm sending you a video so you can view my terrarium.
    I would say that there are some things that can be abrasive, like logs. but nothing she didn't find in nature.
    I also believe it was "injured" by abrasion. I will keep an eye on any other signs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pFWfOuj2MZU?feature=share