Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,408

3 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Hundreds of small animals meant for adoption may have been frozen, fed to reptiles

Washington Post
    By Kim Bellware
    November 17, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. EST

The San Diego Humane Society was buzzing on a hazy summer morning as staffers eased more than 300 small animals into carriers lined with straw and blankets. The bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and mice were about to embark on a hopeful journey to Tucson, where they might be adopted into “forever homes.”

In the caption of a video showing the Aug. 7 send-off, the California rescue organization called the transfer the largest in its history, thanking its counterpart, the Humane Society of Southern Arizona, for helping ease overcrowding by taking in the adoptable animals. “Looking good,” one worker was heard saying in the clip as another crouched to scoop up a white rabbit.

Then came the disappearing act.

More than three months later, about 250 of the 318 animals from the August transfer remain unaccounted for. In a scandal that has forced high-level departures at the Arizona shelter, prompted multiple investigations and raised the specter of legal action, humane society officials this week made a stunning disclosure: The animals were probably fed to reptiles — either alive or frozen.

“A Hollywood horror writer couldn’t write something like this,” Gary Weitzman, CEO of SDHS told The Washington Post.

More than three months later, about 250 of the 318 animals from the August transfer from San Diego Humane Society to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona remain unaccounted for. (San Diego Humane Society)
    Weitzman has deep regrets about the transfer — “I desperately wish we hadn’t done this,” he said — but he also never imagined SDHS, one of the oldest and largest shelter organizations in the United States, would be betrayed by peers in the animal rescue world.

SDHS is typically the safety-net shelter other smaller shelters transfer animals into, making the large August shuffle a first for the California organization. The San Diego shelter was at 160 percent capacity, its staff was overtaxed, and many of the small animals had been there or in foster homes for nearly a year, according to Weitzman. SDHS does not euthanize animals, including for capacity reasons.

When officials at the Tucson shelter offered to take in hundreds of small animals, saying its inventory was low, staff at the San Diego shelter breathed a sigh of relief, Weitzman said.

Although the Tucson organization was much smaller, leaders there — primarily then-chief operating officer Christian Gonzalez — made “elaborate” and “comforting” assurances to their San Diego counterparts, Weitzman said. Gonzalez promised the animals would be transferred to a network of trusted rescue partners, which would then put them up for adoption.

Gonzalez, who resigned from the shelter in October after being suspended amid the saga, could not be reached for comment.

“When I look at back, we certainly should have said, ‘How can you do this? We can’t even do this, and this is an enormous organization,’” Weitzman said, estimating HSSA’s intake is roughly one-tenth of SDHS’s.

Questions about the fate of the animals first arose within two weeks of the animals’ arrival in Arizona. In the close-knit world of animal welfare and adoption volunteers, the large shipment was well-publicized. But there was no fanfare at the Tucson shelter when the Guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters and rats arrived.

No adoption listings appeared online, and no major adoption events were publicized. None of it was adding up to Kelly Paolisso, a psychologist and physical therapist in San Diego who is active in the animal rescue community. Paolisso said she was not reassured after speaking separately with Steve Farley, an ex-Arizona lawmaker who was then CEO of HSSA, and Gonzalez, as well as with Weitzman and SDHS leaders.

“I got two very different stories on what occurred, and it raised a lot of red flags,” said Paolisso, who criticized both organizations as insufficiently transparent on the matter.

As local broadcast stations dug into the mystery, Farley insisted the animals were in good hands. He told San Diego-based ABC 10 News in August that they were “in their forever homes right now and having a wonderful life.”

But when pressed, HSSA was unable to provide adoption records or proof the animals had even been processed for intake at the shelter before being sent to local rescues. By early September, leaders at the San Diego shelter had grown concerned, Weitzman said, as they were stonewalled their by Arizona counterparts.

Throughout the month of September, the more SDHS and animal rescuers like Paolisso pressed for answers, the stranger the story grew. In an effort to soothe HSSA volunteers, Farley told them the animals had been transferred the same day as their arrival to a “family-run, family-funded rescue” that wished to remain anonymous to avoid being flooded with more animal drop-offs, according to an early September email reviewed by The Post.

Later, he announced that 62 animals from the California shelter had been returned to HSSA, prompting Paolisso and others to drive to Tucson to adopt two dozen of the animals.

But as summer turned to fall, SDHS still had no clarity on where the other roughly 250 animals had landed and sent formal legal requests to extract information from HSSA. Paolisso and other animal welfare activists did their own sleuthing, eventually tracking down the mystery recipient of the animals— a family in Apache Junction, Ariz. Arizona Public Media’s Danyelle Khmara broke the story that the animal advocates had identified the recipients of the shipment, brothers Trevor and Colten Jones, prompting HSSA to later confirmed it had an existing relationship with the brothers, via Gonzalez.

Colten Jones was ultimately identified not as the operator of a “family-run, family-funded rescue,” but of the Fertile Turtle — an informal reptile breeding business that has reportedly advertised selling animals for reptile food. The Fertile Turtle does not appear in Arizona Corporation Commission records and does not appear in nonprofit business records as an animal rescue. The Post’s attempts to reach Jones for comment were unsuccessful.

Gonzalez tried to quell concerns by saying the brothers told him they had placed the 250 or so animals in adoptive homes by simply calling friends and family, Arizona Public Media reported.

That response did little to satisfy either humane society. By early October HSSA’s board, under pressure from a coalition of animal rescue groups, had ousted Farley and Gonzalez. Both shelters launched internal probes and hired private investigators in hopes of finding the missing animals. The Tucson Police Department also opened an investigation.

Then, last week, came a devastating new discovery. Investigative reporter Chorus Nylander with Tucson’s NBC affiliate KVOA, who had been chasing the story, obtained a text message Colten Jones sent to a Phoenix reptile breeder Aug. 8 — the day after the animals made it to Tucson.

“Do you have the ability to freeze off a bunch of guinea pigs and or rabbits? I don’t have the manpower or labor to be able to do it in time for the show and it’s too much time for me,” the message read, according to KVOA, which reported that the “show” referenced an upcoming reptile show in California.

While the text was not absolute proof, it was the strongest indication yet that missing animals were probably dead — frozen, or already fed to reptiles.

Weitzman received news of the text in the midst of a meeting.

“It dropped me to my knees,” Weitzman said. “I don’t know why I had such a visceral reaction to that, because it’s not like I thought this was going to be a fairy-tale ending.”

With little hope remaining that the missing animals are still alive, the two humane societies say they are now working together to find answers and seek accountability.

“Based on all the information we have, everyone who is responsible is gone,” said Robert Garcia, HSSA’s board chairman, in reference to Farley and Gonzalez.

Both organizations said they are also reviewing transfer and vetting protocols. They have left open the possibility of civil action, which, in HSSA’s case, could include former employees, as well as Jones, Garcia told The Post. Whether to open a criminal case will be up to local prosecutors. Finding sufficient proof could be difficult, though Weitzman said all of the rabbits in the transfer were microchipped.

For Weitzman and others, the lingering question is how animals could meet such a tragic end while in the care of those who purport to care about animal welfare.

“But nothing makes sense,” Weitzman said. “There is no gain here.”
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-01-2023),Bogertophis (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Wow, that's disturbing. I have no doubt that small animals put up for "adoption" may sometimes meet such fates in private hands, but you sure don't expect anyone representing a large shelter to be involved in such deception, especially on such a massive scale.

No matter how logical this "solution" may seem to snake-keepers (or to an overcrowded shelter, for that matter), this doesn't warm the public's heart toward reptile keepers in general. No one appreciates deception. It would be as if one of us put a pet snake up for adoption & got reassurances that it was going to a "good home", then found out someone fed it to their king cobra. And "no-kill" Humane Society shelters often rely on volunteers as foster- care for "unusual" pets until homes can be found for them- I can well imagine how the staff & volunteers felt after getting this news, after putting in all that effort to save them.

It's horror stories like this that makes people push to ban snake-keeping...that's why this story should matter to all of us.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-17-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-01-2023),Armiyana (11-17-2023),Caitlin (11-17-2023),GoingPostal (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks

Re: Hundreds of small animals meant for adoption may have been frozen, fed to reptile

For some reason, I feel this story casts reptile keepers in a bad light, even though, it was the Humane Society that was deceptive.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-17-2023),Bogertophis (11-17-2023),Caitlin (11-17-2023),GoingPostal (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Absolutely agree with Bogertophis. Also, this situation would never have happened if shelters, sanctuaries, and rescues were given a bit more support.

Donations to shelters are way, way down in the last couple of years and they are really struggling. It'll get tougher with the holidays, as people tend to surrender their animals due to holiday expenses, and many 'gifted' animals end up surrendered.

This is a good reminder that, if you can, please donate to your favorite non-profit shelter or rescue. For me, that's the sanctuary run by Lori Torrini and her husband, and a rescue group for unwanted giant snakes. But you may have local or other rescue organizations you'd like to support. No matter which one it is, these groups need help; the situation is very rough at the moment for most of them.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-17-2023),Bogertophis (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Re: Hundreds of small animals meant for adoption may have been frozen, fed to reptile

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    For some reason, I feel this story casts reptile keepers in a bad light, even though, it was the Humane Society that was deceptive.
    You're right about that mainly (IMO) because the general public dislikes snakes and really dislikes the notion of feeding cute furry animals to them. While I'm looking at it as an indicator of the need to support shelters and rescues, I think you and Bogertophis are absolutely correct in thinking that this situation does no favors at all to the reptile keeping community even though none of us would agree with what happened.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have a strong hunch that Gonzalez, who later left the Tucson shelter's employment, had always been working there with the idea of helping his buddies in the reptile business. There are scoundrels in every line of work, but the deception by someone trusted to care for loved animals is especially egregious. It would be like finding out that child care workers are really human-traffickers. I hope there are some real consequences for him.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-18-2023),Caitlin (11-17-2023),Homebody (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    You're right about that mainly (IMO) because the general public dislikes snakes and really dislikes the notion of feeding cute furry animals to them. While I'm looking at it as an indicator of the need to support shelters and rescues, I think you and Bogertophis are absolutely correct in thinking that this situation does no favors at all to the reptile keeping community even though none of us would agree with what happened.
    I think that's because most people think of reptile keepers as ONLY reptile lovers. They put us all in a separate category & don't realize how many of us are into ALL kinds of other animals too, so it's easy for them to assume that we're all the worst version of reptile keepers they can envision. Unfortunately it only takes a few creepy videos of the types who enjoy live feeding snakes "a little too much" for them to make these assumptions. A special thanks to all the really dumb horror movies too.

Most folks aren't vegetarians either, but that's somehow different than us feeding our reptiles. We always have to remember just how much prejudice & hatred exists towards snakes & other reptiles, & when people hate or fear something, they close their minds to what the animal is actually like. That carries over to those keeping them. Our language reinforces these stereotypes. "Cold-blooded", "reptilian" or "snake" (in the grass) are very common insults.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (11-17-2023),GoingPostal (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Yeah.... I saw this post while recovering from surgery last week.

It's disgusting. Short and Simple.

There is absolutely no excuse for a reptile 'rescue' or breeder or general owner for that matter, to have taken animals in this situation and done what they did.

One or two animals in the case of extreme overcrowding? Maybe...
    10? Eh... These are animals that deserved better and were pets, not 'feeders'.

Have I done something like this? Once... With a hamster at a pet store I worked at once. He was over a year and a half, no one would adopt him, he was getting old, sluggish and was always dealing with 70% baldness and constant itchiness due to alopecia and had terrible 'tude. My manager at the time and I both agreed that a CO2 gas was better than just letting him suffer away in small bin. So I 'adopted' him.

But this is someone looking for a quick buck with absolutely no care about the how, just some way to quickly feed their animals and make a few bucks at a show. These were animals deemed well enough to go to homes and be happy.

One of the ways they got caught?
    The microchips on rabbits weren't getting updated with new info on ownership. So many animals with so many years they could have had.

It's sad overall and I hope this 'fertile turtle' gets the shunning that they need from the reptile community that knows them. They are making the whispers of your animals listed 'free to good home' means 'free snake food' true again. They're putting the worst kind of bullseye on the reptile community. And this is another cup not drop into the bucket that people keep adding to in regards to wanting reptile laws.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2023),Caitlin (11-17-2023),GoingPostal (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Thanks

The Humane Society of Southern Arizona's attempt at damage control is pretty interesting: https://hssaz.org/from-our-chair/. Not surprisingly, they attempt to put the blame primarily on the reptile breeders while acknowledging that their staff didn't follow procedures.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-17-2023 at 05:01 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Arizona humane should absolutely be held accountable for their part as well...
    I just expected better of reptile groups. Especially if they're also claiming to be a rescue

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2023),nikkubus (12-04-2023)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast