Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

0 members and 3,327 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Sadly, I have to agree with Homebody's post above. I was trying to think of a tactful way to say much the same thing. I hope some very experienced snake-keepers will be devoting time to these kind of snakes & successfully captive-breeding them, but it's an awful lot for a beginner, no matter how well-intentioned & determined. W/C imported snakes are usually heavily parasitized & highly stressed, and when they're not even eating, they don't fare well.

Plus, having them in your home puts your new & presumed healthy pair of Trans Pecos at risk. You can spend a lot of time & money on these others, but they'll most likely not survive. I have decades of experience with many kinds of snakes, & personally, I wouldn't take them on. But back when I was first into herpetology, I might have made the same mistake- almost everything appealed to me too. Still does, but I'm a bit wiser now.

I'm also against selling wild-caught snakes as pets in general- it's a very cruel trade, with many if not most of the animals dying along the way. I don't like to support the wildlife trade, because when you buy one, that guarantees that they have an incentive to catch & sell even more. Those sold make poor, & frustrating pets, and what's worse, taking them from the wild means wild populations may not survive either. Recommended reading: "Stolen World" by Jennie Erin Smith (It's a sad but true story.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: New Guinea Tree Boa Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sadly, I have to agree with Homebody's post above. I was trying to think of a tactful way to say much the same thing. I hope some very experienced snake-keepers will be devoting time to these kind of snakes & successfully captive-breeding them, but it's an awful lot for a beginner, no matter how well-intentioned & determined. W/C imported snakes are usually heavily parasitized & highly stressed, and when they're not even eating, they don't fare well.

Plus, having them in your home puts your new & presumed healthy pair of Trans Pecos at risk. You can spend a lot of time & money on these others, but they'll most likely not survive. I have decades of experience with many kinds of snakes, & personally, I wouldn't take them on. But back when I was first into herpetology, I might have made the same mistake- almost everything appealed to me too. Still does, but I'm a bit wiser now.

I'm also against selling wild-caught snakes as pets in general- it's a very cruel trade, with many if not most of the animals dying along the way. I don't like to support the wildlife trade, because when you buy one, that guarantees that they have an incentive to catch & sell even more. Those sold make poor, & frustrating pets, and what's worse, taking them from the wild means wild populations may not survive either. Recommended reading: "Stolen World" by Jennie Erin Smith (It's a sad but true story.)
    I find no fault with the OP's taste. These are really neat little arboreal boas. A few generations of captive breeding and these will make great pet snakes.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I find no fault with the OP's taste. These are really neat little arboreal boas. A few generations of captive breeding and these will make great pet snakes.
    Oh, I agree. They're totally appealing, but just a rough choice for starting out. It's a lot of work to get some of these things figured out with respect to feeding & health issues. If the OP has a really skilled local vet to help, & plenty of funds, that helps...but they're still most likely a very frustrating project. Then again, "it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it"? It's the OP's decision. But success is a real long-shot.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-20-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    I thank you all for your honesty.

I'm really not deep pocketed at all so that is a factor. But I really think that if I just gave them these two back then some other shmuck like myself will buy them and if it doesn't work out then will just let them die or something... I'll at least try my best and learn everything I can from them.

Homebody is right and there's literally 2 websites with information on them and its barely anything. Ill have to splice knowledge on the Indonesian Tree Boa and the Solomon Tree Boa and go from there. If i succeed then I can learn a lot and teach a lot about this species.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistery510 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2023),Homebody (10-20-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistery510 View Post
    I thank you all for your honesty.

I'm really not deep pocketed at all so that is a factor. But I really think that if I just gave them these two back then some other shmuck like myself will buy them and if it doesn't work out then will just let them die or something... I'll at least try my best and learn everything I can from them.

Homebody is right and there's literally 2 websites with information on them and its barely anything. Ill have to splice knowledge on the Indonesian Tree Boa and the Solomon Tree Boa and go from there. If i succeed then I can learn a lot and teach a lot about this species.
    There is no shortage of info on the forum about Solomon Island Tree Boas: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/sear...searchid=16565. If you need scents to help with feeding, Reptilinks sells them:https://reptilinks.com/collections/scenting.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-21-2023),Bogertophis (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    Homebody, One of the other links you posted the personal actually fed their snakes Fish! lol... So I'm wondering about that.. I've seen where people feed their snakes from little dishes of small cut up meat and fish and such... I may have to just try some things because Pinkies just are a no go for these.

I'll for sure keep this forum updated on my journey with these two. I'm sure it'll be a graphic novel with many ups and downs.. Happiness and tears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistery510 View Post
    Homebody, One of the other links you posted the personal actually fed their snakes Fish!
    From what I read, these guys eat lizards and frogs in the wild. Fish as babies. So, sure, give it a try. Just do your research first. Fish high in thiaminase are supposed to be bad for your snake.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-21-2023)

Thanks
    As of 10/20 the weights are

Female 43 grams
    Male 27 grams

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistery510 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-25-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12