Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

5 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: New BP tank advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You really don't want more than 1/2" of substrate over UTH. It becomes "insulation", preventing the UTH heat from rising into the enclosure where it's needed. And it can also cause the UTH to overheat & malfunction- especially if you also failed to ventilate a little under the enclosure/tank, as the manufacturers generally instruct.

You need to assume that your snake (any snake) may dig down & contact the actual floor, so you want to make sure it's not too hot- that's how snakes get burned. They don't realize damage & remain in place too long. I'm having trouble telling if what you're describing in the new "split-level" is safe or not for him. You supposed to have the t-stat probe outside the enclosure, sandwiched between the glass/or whatever the floor is made of, & the actual UTH. It doesn't matter much what the t-stat is reading, what's important (essential) is that where the snake WILL contact the floor inside the enclosure is not over 90* (or by very little), because sooner or later, they WILL dig around & contact that- & if it's too hot, they get injured. So you need to actually push the substrate away to take the floor temperature, then put it back (not too deep) after you're sure that the temp. is safe.

So off-hand, I'd suggest moving him back to his old home for now IF you need to make some more adjustments. Like I said, I'm not totally sure what you meant. If he's going into shed (& he's obviously not digesting either) he's mostly going to be laying low right now anyway. If he seems comfortable, this may work out just fine to leave him be.

There's no hard & fast rule about slowly transitioning a snake to a new enclosure (& most people never think of doing it), but it makes sense to do so if at all possible, knowing that snakes keep searching for their old home for a while, & usually refuse to eat as a result. Confusion is stressful for them, & they don't understand where the world they knew just disappeared to. But if your guy is drinking water & seems comfortable in the split-level, I'd leave him there, as long as you don't need to adjust things for healthy & safety, etc. (as discussed above) So again, it's up to you.

Raising the humidity some, & adding some of his familiar furnishings sounds good-

The probe is between the UTH pad and the bottom of the tank, which is now PVC (old tank was glass). I read somewhere that 1" was the recommended depth of aspen substrate, but I am good with cutting that down to 1/2" on the next tank cleaning and adjusting the thermostat on the UTH -- that makes sense with what I've observed. I am diligent about measuring with a laser thermometer at the surface, I just have to stretch under the split-level platform now to get a reading. I've definitely seen in the old tank where he dug down and exposed the glass (now PVC), so that is noted.

Thank you for the guidance, I hope this is a great move for Angel. More than anything, I want him to be happy and to thrive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Me too (want him to be happy & thrive), I think you've got this.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Pilch (01-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pilch View Post
    Hiding definitely does not surprise me, but I could have sworn I read either in this forum or in another online article that gradual changes were better than abrupt ones, but going back and searching I can't find the references now (maybe I misread something?).
    I've seen other keepers slowly transition their snakes from one enclosure to another is two different ways. Put the old enclosure inside the new enclosure and leave the door to the old enclosure open. The snake will come out and explore the new enclosure when it's ready. Once it's clear that the snake is comfortable in the new space, you can remove the old enclosure.

The other way is to place the snake in the new enclosure for gradually longer periods of time until the snake seems comfortable there. You want to time these exposure sessions for when your snake wants out of its old enclosure. My Children's python will surf the glass pushing to get out. I think most snakes do something similar. When you see this behavior, it's time for an exposure session. Let him explore the new enclosure at least until he settles down. Gradually, increase the length of the sessions until your snake seems comfortable there.

I think it's a nice thing to do, if you can. I don't know that it's the right thing for you to do. You have to weigh how suitable the old enclosure is, how ready the new enclosure is, and how timid your snake is. You sound like you have a pretty good idea what you're doing, so I'm confident that whatever call you make will work out fine. Good luck.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-17-2024 at 10:17 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2024),Pilch (01-18-2024)

Thanks

First shed in the new enclosure went almost perfect! Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Awesome!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234