Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

0 members and 3,161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Exclamation Please help with 3m old female ghi Mojave feeding issues.

I recently picked up a female ghi Mojave that is about 3 months old. She has been eating large mice and weaned rats and she seems to be able to swallow the meals fine or at least I thought she was. Normally after she strikes and bites the prey I will give her privacy to make sure she's comfortable to eat. However the other day I fed her a large mouse and as she was swallowing I just kind of peeked over and noticed her like writhing around in what seemed like pain. I wouldn't consider myself a new ball python owner as I had them in the past 15 years ago and I only recently decided to get back into the hobby but I've never seen a ball python or any snake for that matter react like that when swallowing a meal. I unfortunately did not get any pictures as I was pretty nervous watching her and wanted to be ready in case I needed to assist in any way but the best way I can describe it is it seemed like she was trying to Cork screw her head around to bite her own neck as the prey was being swallowed. It was terrifying to say the least so I was curious what people who have a lot more experience than I think. I wasn't sure if there was a genetic component here with the ghi or Mojave that I don't know about or what it could possibly be. Her next meal should be Saturday this coming week and I will try to get some pictures of it if it happens again in the meantime if anybody has any advice I'll gladly take it because I did not like watching her what seemed like suffer.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Please help with 3m old female ghi Mojave feeding issues.

Are you describing it constricting it after grabbing it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

No this is way past the constriction part. She was attempting to swallow the mouse the only part left hanging out of her mouth was the tail of the mouse. But while attempting to swallow the rest of it and push it down in her body she was extending very high but upside down if you know what I mean. It almost looked like a spider wobble to be honest or something similar to that. I truly don't know which is why I'm going to try to get video of it next week because it terrified me. She has such a kind personality although maybe a little shy but she's always curious and exploring and it was terrible thinking she was going to die or was choking ��. Sorry about the laugh it's the only thing I know how to do when I'm feeling anxious ��
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-01-2023 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo- "construction" > "constriction"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Are you feeding live rodents?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

No they are Frozen thawed I wouldn't feed live unless absolutely necessary.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dpfin1 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-01-2023),Bogertophis (10-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dpfin1 View Post
    No they are Frozen thawed I wouldn't feed live unless absolutely necessary.
    I had to ask, so as to rule out that the rodent was chewing on the snake, even while losing the battle- it's been known to happen, & could have caused what you described.

I'm no expert on BP genetics, but I suppose any snake can have some idiosyncrasies*, or some neurological impairment that might cause this. Not just those specific kinds that are known for it.

*I have also known a snake (not a BP) that had truly hyperactive responses to their prey every time they ate.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-01-2023 at 04:02 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-01-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 842 Posts
    While neither GHI or Mojave are known for neuro issues like spider complex morphs, occasionally something else could cause it either from incubation, parasites or extreme temperatures. I don't think that's likely though. It sounds maybe like the meal was a bit too big and she was having trouble pushing it down. They do contort their bodies while swallowing to help push it in.

One of the guidelines that gets thrown around here alot is either feeding prey that is only slightly larger than the widest part of your snake or the 10% of the snake's weight.
    Depending on her weight and how large of a hatchling she is, a weaned rat may just be a little too big. I have a clutch that hatched out on the smaller side and they're eating rat fuzzies at 3 months still. (I also have 2 rats who who have very large pups in their litters as well...but that's another thing entirely)

It's normal for snakes to lift the first 1/4th of their body up and almost look like they're stargazing when eating though. I jokingly say that's when they're 'slurping the spaghetti' since it's mostly just getting the tail down after that
    Last edited by Armiyana; 10-01-2023 at 04:21 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    ... It sounds maybe like the meal was a bit too big and she was having trouble pushing it down. They do contort their bodies while swallowing to help push it in.

One of the guidelines that gets thrown around here alot is either feeding prey that is only slightly larger than the widest part of your snake or the 10% of the snake's weight.
    Depending on her weight and how large of a hatchling she is, a weaned rat may just be a little too big. I have a clutch that hatched out on the smaller side and they're eating rat fuzzies at 3 months still. (I also have 2 rats who who have very large pups in their litters as well...but that's another thing entirely)

It's normal for snakes to lift the first 1/4th of their body up and almost look like they're stargazing when eating though. I jokingly say that's when they're 'slurping the spaghetti' since it's mostly just getting the tail down after that
    I think this ^ ^ ^ is the most likely cause of what you observed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think this ^ ^ ^ is the most likely cause of what you observed.
    Yes I’d say that is indeed correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro