Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

which species ins best for a 6 foot naturalistic enclosure a ball python or boa bci?

Hi I want to buy a 6 foot enclosure for a female boa or ball python I want make it naturalistic with real plants branches to climb and natural hiding areas for the snake and I wanted to know which snake would be happier in a 6 foot enclosure a ball python or boa constrictor bci I want a female because personal perference the females get bigger and I want a snake that will be active and explore their enclosure climbing branches sleeping in their hides etc and I wanted to know which snake would be happier in an enclosure that size? im new on this forum and have never owned a snake before this will be my first snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: which species ins best for a 6 foot naturalistic enclosure a ball python or boa b

Quote Originally Posted by herphunter View Post
    Hi I want to buy a 6 foot enclosure for a female boa or ball python I want make it naturalistic with real plants branches to climb and natural hiding areas for the snake and I wanted to know which snake would be happier in a 6 foot enclosure a ball python or boa constrictor bci I want a female because personal perference the females get bigger and I want a snake that will be active and explore their enclosure climbing branches sleeping in their hides etc and I wanted to know which snake would be happier in an enclosure that size? im new on this forum and have never owned a snake before this will be my first snake.
    I think adults of either species would be happy in a 6 foot enclosure. Neither species, however, are particularly active. It's hard to move those heavy bodies around. If you want an active snake, then you'll want to look for something more slender bodied. Fortunately for you, there are many to choose from.
    Last edited by Homebody; 09-21-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: which species ins best for a 6 foot naturalistic enclosure a ball python or boa b

I agree with Homebody- I've kept ball pythons & a large (female BCI) boa for many years in the past, & while they would welcome a 6' enclosure, neither species is big on climbing. I'd recommend considering other species if you plan to provide a taller enclosure with climbing branches & want a snake that's more active. There are "active" snakes that make great docile pets that would be a much better fit for what you have in mind. In addition, a ball python would take a long time to feel comfortable in such a large home- they don't tend to prefer activity or open spaces. Not to mention that both of those species are not ideal if you're totally new to snakes. Boas have a fierce feeding response, & BPs are the opposite- they can be a challenge to feed.

My suggested species for you to research include Trans Pecos or Bairds rat snakes (captive bred, of course- both are very docile & make excellent pets), corn snake, or an Australian Spotted python. Feel free to ask me why these all make great pets & what to expect. You mentioned wanting a bigger snake, but there's drawbacks to that (more food = more output..."be careful what you wish for"!) & more snake experience is a good idea before getting a larger boa. Have you handled any snakes before? Like in pet stores & at friend's homes? And you didn't mention if you live alone...a larger snake is best when NOT handled alone, especially by a beginner. It's all about safety- you'd be surprised how strong even a slender constrictor snake actually is- they can choke you out- not saying they "want to" but accidents can happen, either when they sense prey or fear falling & hang onto you very tightly. They don't differentiate between your arm, your waist, or your neck- they just hang ON.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2023),dakski (09-21-2023),Homebody (09-21-2023)

Thanks

I have handled snakes at reptile shows mainly ball pythons but what makes those species good for
    me.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

I have handled snakes at reptile shows mainly ball pythons but what makes those species good for
    me.
    The ones I suggested? You described the home you want your new pet snake to occupy, & these species are more active, outgoing, & they're built for climbing on branches- they'll be more fun to watch & interact with. They're still docile snakes (that's often what draws new owners to BPs) but BPs (& boas) are ground dwelling, & BPs naturally hide most of the time (more than the other kinds I mentioned).

The ones I mentioned are also much easier to feed, & all except the Australian Spotted Pythons (or Children's Pythons- they're very similar to Spotteds, but a bit smaller) require less heat in their enclosure than BPs (esp.!) or boas. What you aren't realizing is just how HARD it is to HEAT such a huge enclosure- because you're new at this. If it's too cool, BPs won't eat- and to keep them eating requires their home be kept much warmer even in the winter. I don't know where you live, but unless you live in the tropics, heating a snake's home when your own home cools off in winter is a BIG deal. BPs are also complicated because they need higher humidity- and that's VERY hard to do in a 6' enclosure.

Compare that to a Trans Pecos or Bairds rat snake- they live in semi-arid desert areas- they're slender bodied but get to 5-6.5' long- and they're nosy snakes that love to hang out on branches. A BP will be hiding most of the time, & frustrating you by being a "picky eater", whereas these rat snakes (including the corn snakes) are much easier to feed on f/t (frozen-thawed) prey. The small Australian pythons need their home warmer & do best with a humid hide also, but they're fun little snakes with great appetites. (search the other threads here on Children's & Spotted pythons)

Few things are more discouraging to a new snake owner than having a pet that won't eat- the species I suggested are some of my FAVORITES* of all times- yet they're "very forgiving" of the miss-steps that most new snake-keepers make. The biggest drawback is that as hatchlings, they're tinier & more fragile, so they are a bigger risk of escaping until they grow. But a good way around that is to look for a well-started yearling+ snake that some breeders may have held-back for possible breeding, & then changed their mind about keeping. You'll pay a little more for a more mature snake, but you're more likely to have a much easier (better) time with it, while you're still learning how to be successful with snakes.

*And in case you're wondering- I've bred & kept hundreds of many more kinds of snakes in over 3 decades of keeping a non-stop house-full. I truly love all kinds of snakes for different reasons- they all have pros & cons- but I was thinking about matching your needs to what snakes need from you. If your heart is set on something else, fine- I just don't want you to not know what you're getting into. If you don't provide the correct conditions (heat, humidity, cleanliness, sense of security, space, light, etc.) for whatever species of snake you're keeping, it's not going work. If they're kept too cool- snakes won't eat. Kept improperly for their species, snakes are stressed -that lowers their immune system- making them more likely to get sick & not thrive or survive.

Snakes are much easier to keep healthy by providing the right environment than to get them well again when you blow it. (Exotic pet vets aren't cheap either.) And I assume you're in this for the long-haul success, right? But we also realize you'll take the best care of whatever you're most interested in- so the ultimate decision is yours to make. We're here to share our knowledge & experience, but then to help no matter what you decide.

Oh, and
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2023 at 05:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2023)

Thanks

Thank you for the information I learned a lot and going to do some more research.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

It sounds to me like an active heavy bodied beginner snake would be perfect for you. The problem is that I can't think of any that check off all those boxes. There are active beginner snakes; there are heavy bodied beginner snakes; and there are active heavy bodied snakes for intermediate keepers, but I can't think of a species that is all three. I think you are going to have to compromise on your criteria a little bit.

I'd advise you not to compromise on the "for beginners" criteria, however. If you've never kept reptiles before, their care can be counterintuitive. With mammals you can rely on your instincts a little bit, but not with reptiles. Their psychology and biology are just too different. So, you'll want the type of docile and hardy snakes that are forgiving of the mistakes that inexperienced keepers make. Most lists of the best beginner snakes include: corn snakes, ball pythons, milk/king snakes, hognose snakes, and garter snakes. Boas don't usually make those lists due to their size, but they grow slowly, so you'll have time to get used to it before it gets big.
    Last edited by Homebody; 09-21-2023 at 05:32 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2023),Bogertophis (09-22-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Assuming a 6x2x15" (or 18") I think you'd be happy with a carpet python, tarahumara boa (aka boa sigma, used to be known as a dwarf locality of boa imperator), or Brazilian rainbow boa. Carpet pythons in particular really like to climb, perch, and be on display. Males get 6-7 feet, females a little longer.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2023),Bogertophis (09-21-2023),Homebody (09-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Welcome!

Great that you are doing research and setting up a tank before getting a snake. You might not like some of the advice you get, but people on this forum want what's best for you and your snake. Keep that in mind. Also, at least I am not trying to tell you what to do. I've been keeping snakes for over 30 years and have a lot of experience. I want to help you avoid mistakes I've made and seen others make.

Having said that, I would probably advise against a large constrictor like a carpet python or (non-dwarf) boa. Carpet pythons are awesome snakes, as are boas. I have both (3 boas and 1 CP). However, large boas can be a handful when feeding and handling as can Carpet Pythons. I kept corn snakes and Ball Pythons for years before getting Boas and a CP.

I would lean more towards what Bogertophis said and look for a generally docile and active snake like a trans-peco or even a corn snake. I love corn snakes and they come in every color imaginable, are docile (usually), great eaters, and very easy husbandry wise.

New snake owners can be intimidated by the demands of maintaining temps, humidity, proper hides/decor, etc.

You said naturalistic. What do you mean? A complex setup can add to maintenance and if you end up getting more than one snake, can be a big time commitment.

How do you plan to heat this enclosure? What type of enclosure is it - PVC, glass, etc.? What are you thinking in terms of temp control/thermostats? What is humidity and temps where you live. All things to consider.

Additionally, what's the largest snake you have held and/or fed? Female BI's can easily weigh 10-20 pounds. That's a lot of snake.

I tell everyone interested in a Carpet Python or Boa to handle them and watch them eat before getting one. CP's are leaner, but very active. Boas are big and heavy bodied and very aggressive eaters. That can be intimidating for new keepers.

I suggest gathering as much information as possible and then making an informed decision. That seems to be what you are doing and I commend it.

We are here as a resource and want to help. Ask us anything.

Good luck and keep us posted.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-22-2023),Bogertophis (09-21-2023),Homebody (09-21-2023)

Thanks

Thank you for the information really appreciate I want a naturalistic enclosure I want just make it look like the wild have branches, tunnels or burrows to hide and explore, live plants and grass, rocks etc and provide a lot of enrichment for them to utilize. I want the enclosure to be made out of PVC I was going to use a mister for humidity that why I want live plants because it helps with humidity I live in NC it rains a lot during the summer get really hot about 70 degrees but it get cold around November and December. I have held snakes before mainly ball pythons but I also held a hognose snakes at the reptile expos I went to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast