Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

2 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

setting up RHP questions

My PVC enclosure just arrived, I ordered it with a VE 80w RHP installed. My understanding was the panel needs to be run on max setting for a few hours to offgas, so I set the unassembled tank ceiling with the panel facing up and plugged it into a socket with no thermostat. After running for an hour the panel seems a little swollen on one side and sunken on the other - I tried to take pictures but it's hard to see in photos. I can't remember if it was perfectly flat when it got here. I was concerned so I unplugged it - should I try running it again on a thermostat on a very high setting or is it ok to plug in directly? And am I just being paranoid about the surface not being perfectly flat (I have an intense fear of fire hazards so it may just be me being nervous)? The surface temp got up to around 160 degrees F by my temp gun. Thanks!

eta: I just went and checked on it and nothing inside was actually swollen - the outside layer of plastic was just shifting a little from the heat I guess. I just get really nervous about heating elements, I'm trying it plugged in again for awhile
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 09-03-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: setting up RHP questions

Sounds to me like you're following the instructions to the letter.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Doing my best!
    We had a small house fire when I was a kid due to a cat knocking a heat lamp onto the floor so heating elements make me really nervous. Bogertophis won't like this story but I was originally wanting a rosy boa for my first snake, but I couldn't get over my fear of lamps that get that hot. The ball pythons low temps and UTH was part of the reason I went with them, and even then I used to flinch whenever the on/off thermostat would click to turn on - pets can broaden our horizons in a lot of ways I guess lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I think you are OK.

I recommend setting up the cage and panel as a fully assembled unit. If you are going to be home let it run at full power for a few hours and then set your stat. It does take a little time to heat the cage and all the substrate. The panel will likely work hard in the beginning and once it hits the desired temp it will pulse to maintain it. The cage may smell like the panel, and the heated cage may have a scent as well.

Once you have the decor and substrate in place, the cage will maintain heat very well.

You are wise to consider all safety hazards. A good stat is a must. I have a VE-300 and two Herpstats. All work very well and rarely do my panels run at 100%. If they do it is after misting with the doors open. Once they hit their mark they shut down and use the least amount of power to keep the desired temp.

I'm running Pro-Products panels but I imagine things don't differ greatly from yours.

If you have a room where you can use an ambient heat source it will assist the panel and keep it from running frequently.
    Last edited by Gio; 09-03-2023 at 04:38 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2023),Caitlin (09-16-2023),Homebody (09-03-2023),plateOfFlan (09-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    We had a small house fire when I was a kid due to a cat knocking a heat lamp onto the floor so heating elements make me really nervous. Bogertophis won't like this story but I was originally wanting a rosy boa for my first snake, but I couldn't get over my fear of lamps that get that hot. The ball pythons low temps and UTH was part of the reason I went with them, and even then I used to flinch whenever the on/off thermostat would click to turn on - pets can broaden our horizons in a lot of ways I guess lol.
    I hate to tell you, but rosy boas do not need a heat lamp (unless you live someplace really cold & keep your house cold?) and BPs need MORE heat than rosy boas do. You've got it backwards.
    Rosy boas can brumate in the winter too, though I don't brumate any of mine. Not so for BPs.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think you are OK.

I recommend setting up the cage and panel as a fully assembled unit. If you are going to be home let it run at full power for a few hours and then set your stat. It does take a little time to heat the cage and all the substrate. The panel will likely work hard in the beginning and once it hits the desired temp it will pulse to maintain it. The cage may smell like the panel, and the heated cage may have a scent as well.

Once you have the decor and substrate in place, the cage will maintain heat very well.

You are wise to consider all safety hazards. A good stat is a must. I have a VE-300 and two Herpstats. All work very well and rarely do my panels run at 100%. If they do it is after misting with the doors open. Once they hit their mark they shut down and use the least amount of power to keep the desired temp.

I'm running Pro-Products panels but I imagine things don't differ greatly from yours.

If you have a room where you can use an ambient heat source it will assist the panel and keep it from running frequently.
    Yeah, next step is to put it on the herpstat with everything set up. I understand that the RHP needs to be tested with the tank exactly as it'll be set up, water dish and everything, to get an accurate reading? I also see people talk about their panel working at such and such percentage - is this on the readout of the herpstat? How do you know what power level it's running at?

Thanks for the input, also oops on the rosy boa thing lol! I wonder what I confused them with.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    ...Thanks for the input, also oops on the rosy boa thing lol! I wonder what I confused them with.
    Maybe you just assumed, since many of them are desert dwellers, but while they like it warm, they tend to be crepulscular. In the desert heat of the day, they're underground. Mine have only UTH except in winter, when I may use a dimmed overhead lamp for added warmth- BUT mine are in glass tanks with screen tops- they do best with fresh (drier) air, not hot & humid enclosures like BPs.

You could always put a 2nd UTH pad on top of the screen instead of using a lamp. It would help warm your room as well, & UTH pads are lower wattage than lamps- safer + more economical.

High temps. using overhead lights brings bearded dragons to my mind, but you cannot have confused them with a rosy boa?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-03-2023 at 05:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

This was very easy to finish up, she is all moved in and has even basked a little bit under the RHP! I'll probably leave a good review in feedback if I remember. I went with the 18" height enclosure after seeing a lot of people having trouble getting heat all the way down to the surface in the 24", and it's working great! She's explored around the ceiling edges and figured out the sides of the RHP are safe to touch, but when she tries to approach the middle, hot part I noticed she quickly realizes how hot the air is getting and stops a safe distance away. She seems curious about it and is having to figure out how to thermoregulate now that the heat is above her, not below, but I feel confident she won't injure herself on it.
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 09-16-2023 at 02:51 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2023),Caitlin (09-16-2023),Homebody (09-16-2023)