Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

1 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good buy?

Thanks

Re: Good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Yeah, you are really male heavy already. I wouldn't even look at males right now if I were you. I'd nail down some project plans and then seek out females that match what you are missing for those plans. You could essentially support fertilizing 60 females with the males you already have, and keep in mind you are probably going to want some holdbacks that are occasionally male. Not to mention, it's probably not a bad idea to get some successful clutches under your belt before you move far past 20 breeder animals.
    Any chance you can recommend what I should be looking for that would go with the males I have? A smart choice? I really do appreciate all your help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    You should be passionate about the projects you are working on. I can only guess based on what you have already purchased what sort of projects you would like. You already have three different recessives, which is a lot for a new breeder to deal with. I wouldn't be starting all three of those projects at once. I would pick one of the three you like best and focus on working some different morphs into that line. You have GHI and Cinny in females already, so I'd say your Banana Super Enchi would do really well with them to enhance the colors in Banana, especially the Pewter Yellow Belly female since YB complements Banana quite well. OD might be something you can look for in a female to add better color to both Banana and Mojave.

Here are some examples of Banana and Mojave projects you could work towards:

Banana Calico Cinnamon GHI:

Banana Mardi Gras:

Same as above plus OD and Leopard:

Enchi Mojave OD YB:

OD Enchi Fire Mojave:

I would do some research about Carmel to see if that is something you even want to work with or if it's too risky. I don't know if the breeder you got those from is reputable and would be honest about health issues in the line or not. I have no idea if you know the deal with Spiders, and if you choose to breed them anyway, that's your choice, but if you aren't aware you should research that too.

Take some time to look at tons of pictures and see what interests you. Write down all the morphs that make up the combos, and see if there is a lot of overlap. Check the prices of all the different outcomes from different ways you could breed those combos. That should help steer you in the right direction. It's a huge task, but it's really important before you go buying more animals. I only know what I like and interest me, so it's hard to make some great suggestions that meet all that criteria even though I know the market well. If you have some ideas for projects and want to run them by me, I can easily give my 2c if it's a project that is cost effective and make suggestions for the best way to make it happen where you don't end up with a bunch of animals that don't sell well.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-23-2023),Bogertophis (08-23-2023)

Thanks

Re: Good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    You should be passionate about the projects you are working on. I can only guess based on what you have already purchased what sort of projects you would like. You already have three different recessives, which is a lot for a new breeder to deal with. I wouldn't be starting all three of those projects at once. I would pick one of the three you like best and focus on working some different morphs into that line. You have GHI and Cinny in females already, so I'd say your Banana Super Enchi would do really well with them to enhance the colors in Banana, especially the Pewter Yellow Belly female since YB complements Banana quite well. OD might be something you can look for in a female to add better color to both Banana and Mojave.

Here are some examples of Banana and Mojave projects you could work towards:

Banana Calico Cinnamon GHI:

Banana Mardi Gras:

Same as above plus OD and Leopard:

Enchi Mojave OD YB:

OD Enchi Fire Mojave:

I would do some research about Carmel to see if that is something you even want to work with or if it's too risky. I don't know if the breeder you got those from is reputable and would be honest about health issues in the line or not. I have no idea if you know the deal with Spiders, and if you choose to breed them anyway, that's your choice, but if you aren't aware you should research that too.

Take some time to look at tons of pictures and see what interests you. Write down all the morphs that make up the combos, and see if there is a lot of overlap. Check the prices of all the different outcomes from different ways you could breed those combos. That should help steer you in the right direction. It's a huge task, but it's really important before you go buying more animals. I only know what I like and interest me, so it's hard to make some great suggestions that meet all that criteria even though I know the market well. If you have some ideas for projects and want to run them by me, I can easily give my 2c if it's a project that is cost effective and make suggestions for the best way to make it happen where you don't end up with a bunch of animals that don't sell well.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and educate me. You have helped me a lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff68982 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-23-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12