Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Selling snakes

Thanks

Selling snakes

I lost my father last month. He had lived with me for the last 6 years. He was in poor health, and I took care of him. When he moved in, I had 3 of my kids still at home, and I literally had a full house! Now my kids have grown up, and moved out, and with my father gone, it’s just me, and my snakes! I’m going to sell my house, and probably move back to the Midwest, where I grew up, and I still have a lot of family. I will be moving into an apartment for 6 months or so while my house sells, and I find a new place. My ball pythons don’t take up much space, so moving them into an apartment won’t be an issue. But my retic, a 3 y/o male purple tiger, may be an issue, not to mention, illegal to own in the state I may be moving to. Anybody have any advice on selling a large constrictor? If I have to sell him, I just want to be as certain, as I can, that whoever gets him, knows what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: Selling snakes

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    Anybody have any advice on selling a large constrictor? If I have to sell him, I just want to be as certain, as I can, that whoever gets him, knows what they’re doing.
    You can place an ad here subject to the advertising rules. As for finding a knowledgeable keeper, I don't imagine finding that keeper will be the hard part. The hard part is going to be letting go of a beloved pet. Those emotions can cloud your judgement and lead you to disqualify all candidates. So, I suggest you make a list of must haves (e.g. must have experience with large constrictor snakes, must have a 4 x 4 x 8 enclosure, must not exploit their snakes for attention on Youtube, etc.) and sell the first person that checks off all those boxes.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Selling snakes

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    My ball pythons don’t take up much space, so moving them into an apartment won’t be an issue.
    Maybe. Some landlords get funny about reptiles, others are ok. Speaking as a former landlady, I didn't have an issue with "small caged pets" as they were usually less destructive than dogs or cats.

But my retic, a 3 y/o male purple tiger, may be an issue, not to mention, illegal to own in the state I may be moving to. Anybody have any advice on selling a large constrictor? If I have to sell him, I just want to be as certain, as I can, that whoever gets him, knows what they’re doing.
    Local sale through a Facebook reptile rehoming group, and do some snooping around on the buyer's profile, posts in other groups, etc. so you can filter out the flippers and abusers. You may want to see if a local rescue can help refer you to a proper home for him; they could advertise and take applications for adoption, and you would keep the retic in your possession until an appropriate home was found.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2023),Homebody (08-08-2023)