Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

2 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Eggs while I'll be on holiday

Hello, this year I had the pre-lay shed just a few days ago on the 5th of July, so most probably my female will lay eggs while I will be on holiday (I'll be back on the 11th of August). As nobody at home is able to deal with BP eggs I was wondering what could be the risks if eggs stay with her mother for a week or so, prior being placed in the incubator.
    Can I enjoy my vacation period or should I worry for the eggs ?
    Last edited by Franz71; 07-09-2023 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    I'm not sure anyone can answer this for you- it all depends on how important these eggs are to YOU.

Eggs left unattended with a captive snake (think "limited space" & less than natural surroundings), eggs can go wrong many ways- they can get laid in the wrong place (water bowl?) or near the warmth where they'll dry out & fail. Also, the snake may unintentionally roll them around when she moves, causing them to "drown".

If you care much about these eggs, I'd either be there or have someone knowledgeable there to take care of them. Not to mention, what if your snake fails to lay them all- let's say an unusually-large egg gets stuck- what then? You could lose more than just the eggs... It's not a big chance, but it's still a chance. How's your luck?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-10-2023),nikkubus (07-09-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    If it were me, I would at least want someone to be able to check on them daily that could get ahold of me if there was an issue. Some people do maternal incubation the entire period successfully, so I would be less worried about that and more worried about the actual laying so that the mother could be taken to the vet if she gets egg bound. I haven't had a BP get egg bound on me yet *knock on wood* but I have in other species. Not being around for over a week, who is going to be giving them water both to drink and keep the humidity stable? If the husbandry isn't on point, that increases the chances that both mother will egg bind and the eggs will go bad. If you have somebody that is caring for them but just doesn't have the knowledge or confidence to pull and setup eggs, I'd say things will probably be fine.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-10-2023),Bogertophis (07-09-2023),Homebody (07-09-2023)