Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

1 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Tell me about mites...

Okay - first off, neither of my two snakes have mites. I am making this post because I have the opportunity to adopt two female ball pythons who are/were being treated for mites.

They've apparently been brought to the vet and treated and the current owner says that she doesn't see any more mites on them. She said she has cleaned their enclosures thoroughly as well. I realize that if I bring these snakes home that they will need to be quarantined (as any new critter should be) and I will also be continuing mite treatment/prevention.

This is all very much an IF situation still. As I am new to keeping Ball Pythons. I wanted to ask what you guys think about this situation? If you were me, would you pass on taking these two? Or would you take them and try to get them all fixed up?

I have been reading about provent-a-mite (which seems to be a little harder to come by here in Ontario, Canada) or nix crème rinse (the easier of the two to find) - can I get some insight and opinions on these two products? Or some recommendations? How long does it take to generally get rid of a mite problem? I have my current two balls in my living room - if I were to take these other two and quarantine them in a separate room - would that be sufficient or is that too risky?

I am very much up in the air on if I should do this or not - opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks friends!

Last edited by Opaque; 07-02-2023 at 06:59 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Personally, I would be hesitant to do anything with them. The risks to your own animals are high, especially because mites will spread snake viral diseases

That said if you still want to try...
    As much of a score getting 2 bps with enclosures and everything would be if offered...I would not take anything back with you except for the snakes to be safest. And even then, just because you don't see mites, doesn't mean they aren't burrowed in places on the snake. Around the eyes and in the nostrils are great places for them to hide away unseen.

Mites can make one heck of a clip. So even if you have them in a separate room, you would be surprised at how far they can travel as well. You would need to isolate these snakes in a room that is easy to sterilize and as far away from others as possible.

I've used fipronel(frontline) spray on a paper towel to rub the snakes down in the past, but I don't know if that's fallen out of practice lately or what.
    It can be easy to overdose the animal if you're not careful or spraying. Also you'll need to temporarily remove the water dish after so it doesn't come off the snake and they drink it. They would get some dishsoap and good rinse and then a normal soak after between wipe downs. It may not be a bad thing to spray around a well ventilated isolation room though.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-02-2023),Opaque (07-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    Here's a previous & comprehensive post from long-time mod & experienced member about the various options for treating mites- none of which are fun, & some of which have more risk to the snakes than others. It's long & rather tiresome to repeat all these methods, but not half as bad as treating mites, especially if they spread to your other snakes too. Only you know if you're prepared to double the # of snakes you're caring for- but just remember, it's "easy" when they're healthy, but when they get sick, it can be a lot of work, & vet care can also be expensive.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2771656

I'm happy to say I've only had 2 snakes that had mites, in all the years (decades) I've been keeping snakes. Both snakes were new to me, & many years ago, before most of these products were available. I personally hate using any toxic products (pesticides) on snakes, so I favor removing most mites with slightly-soapy soaks, as that is harmless- but alas, some mites or eggs will likely be missed. After that, if I had a snake with mites right now, I'd be using Natural Chemistry reptile spray, as that is not actually a pesticide, but a product that desiccates the mites.

Bear in mind that any mites or eggs left behind can blow right up into another "family reunion" in about a month's time- so you need to keep snakes being treated on white paper towels for best results (so you can see the mites) with NOTHING that's porous* (no branches, no wood hides, no mulch, etc.) since that's where they all hide. Some ppl get lucky but all too often, they have to repeat the process for a couple months- so just be prepared, in case.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-02-2023 at 08:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-02-2023),bcr229 (07-02-2023),Opaque (07-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you both so much for your replies!

I think based off of what you two have said and what I have read - that I am going to pass on bringing these two home. I do hope that an experienced snake owner will end up with them and that they are able to get rid of the mites on them - though the person who currently has them did say she had them at the vet and what not - so that is a good start.

I just don't know if I feel comfortable having the risk of exposing my other two to mites - given how easily they spread.

I appreciate this information regardless - it's good to know just incase.

I hope you are both having a good weekend by the way!

Last edited by Opaque; 07-02-2023 at 09:30 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-02-2023),Bogertophis (07-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: Tell me about mites...

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Thank you both so much for your replies!

I think based off of what you two have said and what I have read - that I am going to pass on bringing these two home. I do hope that an experienced snake owner will end up with them and that they are able to get rid of the mites on them - though the person who currently has them did say she had them at the vet and what not - so that is a good start.

I just don't know if I feel comfortable having the risk of exposing my other two to mites - given how easily they spread.

I appreciate this information regardless - it's good to know just incase.

I hope you are both having a good weekend by the way!

Another thing- mites can be vectors for serious diseases in snakes- so even if the mites are gone, the risks may not be. I think you're smart to pass on them. And you're welcome.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)