Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,420

2 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Reptile safe stain or paint to simulate wood?

As the title states, I'm looking for a reptile safe way to make a piece of pvc or uhmw rod look like a wooden branch. I've seen this done before but I haven't been able to determine how to do it in a manner where it's totally safe for my snake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    I know what you're referring to & it's been a while since I've seen that- but I seem to recall they created scorch marks on PVC? Don't recall what they used- maybe a torch?

But all materials have downsides- IMO, PVC is less safe (it off-gasses, more so in heated environments) than natural branches (which are porous but can be sprayed with disinfectant or baked to sanitize them periodically. There's no perfect answer, unfortunately- all we can do is minimize the risks as best we can. I do prefer the natural texture of real branches though, for snakes to grip.

And while they're are some paint & stain products that are reptile safe when dried & fully-cured, I don't think they'll adhere to PVC.

There might be something else though, that dries with safe texture also, that could be applied? You might look into products made for creating fish ponds- as fish are quite sensitive too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-25-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Reptile safe stain or paint to simulate wood?

I've seen the scorched ones but the ones I'm referring to specifically state that they are not scorched. The entire enclosure, shelves, and hides are pvc. I suppose I could use real wood. I was just impressed with the pvc and assumed it would be easier to disinfect. I suppose I'll have to think this over more.

Thanks
    I just added a bit to my post above- we were typing at the same time, lol.

And yes I know that many here use PVC enclosures- that's your choice. Materials are often favored for convenience- but read up on PVC. Personally I consider that snakes are enclosed 24/7, plus the enclosures are heated... A safer choice -IMO- would be HDPE, but even the frozen foods that are designed to be baked in containers made of HDPE say NOT to re-heat them- that's because they know the plastic breaks down. Anyway...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-25-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    I've also seen PVC pipes wrapped w/ rope (glued on, I think?) for a natural look + grip- but of course, that's porous & will be a challenge to clean if a snake takes a dump on it.

You might also consider using bamboo poles cut to fit- they look more natural, & bamboo is pretty hard. Plant nurseries sometimes have them. But the diameter might not be enough?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-25-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    David Brahms/Specialty Enclosure Designs/The Reptile perch offers exactly that on his website up to 4' long.
    In my larger enclosures I just use tree stakes from Lowe's and cut to length. Wrapped in hemp twine and silk vines.
    Link to an older thread of mine detailing my setups including these pvc perches
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nd-Accessories
    Last edited by jmcrook; 06-25-2023 at 02:11 PM.