Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

1 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Does anyone here keep Olive Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by parashootist View Post
    Sorry, I missed that question. It's in my last paragraph of my initial post. The RHP is connected to a Herpstat 2. I bought the Herpstat 2 because I eventually intend to hook up some heat tape to supplement the RHP. I already have the heat tape. I just need to build something to elevate the enclosure off the floor a bit.
    Whoops, sorry. I thought I reread thoroughly but missed it in that last paragraph.
    As for your humidity issue. I also use coco chips and find they hold humidity longer if used in a thicker substrate layer.

Thanks
    What I did yesterday was re-wet a section of the coco fiber which seems to have helped. Humidity has stayed in the mid 50's since then. So I likely just need to re-wet the substrate every so often which makes sense.

Thanks
    This is more of a general question versus an Olive specific one. What is the best way to get a snake out of their enclosure when they're at the door? It seems like often when I go in to take her out, she comes right to the door and then either perches on the door ledge or climbs the glass a bit. She basically stays there as long as I'm in the room. Now if I leave, she does move away from the glass.

Thanks
    Hook/tap training. Every time you go into the cage, aren’t feeding, and need to directly interact with the animal you give them a very gentle touch with a hook/paper towel roll/etc to let them know that food isn’t about to happen. Over time they’ll learn to turn off so to speak after a tap and before you enter the enclosure

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-17-2023),Homebody (06-17-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Hook/tap training. Every time you go into the cage, aren’t feeding, and need to directly interact with the animal you give them a very gentle touch with a hook/paper towel roll/etc to let them know that food isn’t about to happen. Over time they’ll learn to turn off so to speak after a tap and before you enter the enclosure
    Thanks. I've been trying to tap train with a hook each time but I guess I'm a bit nervous to open the door when she is perched on the ledge at the door or pressed against the glass. So in these instances I have been just leaving her be. I'd like to gain the confidence where I'm willing to open the door even if she is right up to it. I suppose it just takes time.

Thanks
    Yep. You're going to land some bites acclimating her. The more you act timid and as though you're going to be bit, the more you'll get bit. I'm currently calming down a yearling island boa that would gladly bleed me out given the opportunity. I just don't let it bother me and she's calming right down. May be a slightly steeper learning curve with a more assertive species such as yours, but with a box of bandaids and some confidence you should be fine eventually

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-17-2023),Gio (06-17-2023),Homebody (06-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

There are quite a few Youtube videos about how to handle defensive snakes, especially babies. These are two good ones. The first also explains how tap training is used for older snake to break the feeding response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjxcPfm-2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XupmYQ5ywNI
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-17-2023 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I've certainly watched a bunch of videos on the subject, now I just need to quit being a wuss haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I have no experience with Olive pythons or other giants, but I've kept plenty of good-sized & "overly-enthused" snakes. Another thing that might help you "change the channel" on your snake is a spray bottle of plain water (sprayed in their face). It's harmless, easy to use (snakes drink in the rain!) & is just another way to signal a snake that it's not dinnertime, without the risk that they'll grab the hook you're trying to tap them with. Again, it's just a thought, not a guarantee. Got long sleeves?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-17-2023),Homebody (06-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have no experience with Olive pythons or other giants, but I've kept plenty of good-sized & "overly-enthused" snakes. Another thing that might help you "change the channel" on your snake is a spray bottle of plain water (sprayed in their face). It's harmless, easy to use (snakes drink in the rain!) & is just another way to signal a snake that it's not dinnertime, without the risk that they'll grab the hook you're trying to tap them with. Again, it's just a thought, not a guarantee. Got long sleeves?
    Haha, I've been wearing long sleeves and thin gloves although the gloves ruin the experience in my opinion so I plan to stop that very soon. Honestly once I pick her up she seems totally fine. Even in the enclosure she usually seems chill. It kind of seems like if I opened the door and put my hand there she'd just climb right on (or slither over and bite me haha). She seems agitated when I mist the enclosure but I'll consider it as a tool and may try it. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast