Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

4 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BI

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    I have only ever fed her f/t and when we first got her she was on f/t. Her waste don't smell like much, and I have seen no abnormalities. I don't believe she was ever given antibiotics, but I will certainly look into probiotics. Do you recommend any specific types, places to get them, or things to look out for?

I'm familiar with Bene-Bac (for reptiles & amphibians) or NutriBac (for reptiles & amphibians), but if you search there may be a few others too. That's what I'd try- a probiotic- and don't dust it on a damp rodent- instead, pry open the dead rodents mouth & put the powder in the oral cavity, then push the mouth closed. This way the snake won't know & possibly balk at eating a rodent that smells a bit different. (probably not an issue with a boa, but...) If you dust it on, most of it falls off anyway by the time the rodent gets swallowed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (10-24-2023),Homebody (10-25-2023)

Thanks

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

She's doing good, ate today, but I have a concern with humidity. In the summer months it sits around 60-70, but recently it has been in the 40's. I've been misting often, she has a humid hide, a huge water bowl on the warm side, coco coir bedding, what else can I do? I've begin to notice some issues regarding scales sort of folding in where she coils for a large amount of time. She isn't very active in her enclosure, mainly staying in her warm hide, but today I found her in the humid hide while cleaning. I'm doing my best to get my hands on a humidifier to raise the humidity in just my room as my plants and other snakes would benefit from higher humidity. My other snakes are in aquariums at the moment, which they are growing into/temp enclosures, and I tend to block off some of the screening to keep humidity up. But in Scarls enclosure, it doesn't even have a mesh lid. Her last shed was complete along with eyecaps and tail tip, but humidity has dropped since then even with my efforts. Is there ANYTHING else I can do to bump humidity?

Thanks

She's doing good, ate today, but I have a concern with humidity. In the summer months it sits around 60-70, but recently it has been in the 40's. I've been misting often, she has a humid hide, a huge water bowl on the warm side, coco coir bedding, what else can I do? I've begin to notice some issues regarding scales sort of folding in where she coils for a large amount of time. She isn't very active in her enclosure, mainly staying in her warm hide, but today I found her in the humid hide while cleaning. I'm doing my best to get my hands on a humidifier to raise the humidity in just my room as my plants and other snakes would benefit from higher humidity. My other snakes are in aquariums at the moment, which they are growing into/temp enclosures, and I tend to block off some of the screening to keep humidity up. But in Scarls enclosure, it doesn't even have a mesh lid. Her last shed was complete along with eyecaps and tail tip, but humidity has dropped since then even with my efforts. Is there ANYTHING else I can do to bump humidity?
    To be honest, I never paid much attention to the humidity when I kept a BCI- they don't need as much as BPs, you know. Also- it's completely normal (& not related to humidity) for some snakes to have some folded scales where they've been coiled for a while. Some scales (like those on boas, BPs & corn snakes) are easier to fold than others because they're smooth & not keeled. Snakes like rattlesnakes & gopher snakes have keeled scales: a rigid line in the middle of each scale that makes them sturdier, & resistant to being bent. I'd just keep up the humid hide (remember they dry out in a few days & need re-moistening.). Too much humidity can cause health problems too, & if she's shedding good, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-01-2023),EL-Ziggy (12-02-2023)

Thanks

So it's normal for some scale folding?
    When she last shed her humidity was staying a bit higher as it wasn't as far into winter as it is now, it stuck around 50 then. Do boas not rely on outside humidity as much?

Also, question on handling, I have her out a lot. Oftentimes daily, for a few hours. She has never struck or hissed at me and always remains calm, often just sitting somewhere and falling asleep. Is there a limit on how much you should? It doesn't seem to impact how well she feds (hasn't turned down a meal in a while). I'm aware they don't enjoy handling, but is it alright to have them out and about that often?
    Last edited by Ailuros; 12-01-2023 at 11:40 AM. Reason: formatting issue

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,188 Posts

Also, question on handling, I have her out a lot. Oftentimes daily, for a few hours. She has never struck or hissed at me and always remains calm, often just sitting somewhere and falling asleep. Is there a limit on how much you should? It doesn't seem to impact how well she feds (hasn't turned down a meal in a while). I'm aware they don't enjoy handling, but is it alright to have them out and about that often?
    It depends. If you open her enclosure and she crawls out of her own accord, then I think it's great. If you're pulling her out of her enclosure, or even worse out, of her hide, then I don't think it's great. Because they are captives, I think it's healthiest to allow them as much control over their actions as you can.

My Children's python does this. He'll crawl out of his enclosure daily for a week or more. I don't handle him much on these excursions, just enough to protect him from harm. I think the exercise and mental stimulation is good for him.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-01-2023)

Thanks

So it's normal for some scale folding?
    When she last shed her humidity was staying a bit higher as it wasn't as far into winter as it is now, it stuck around 50 then. Do boas not rely on outside humidity as much?

Yes, some scale folding is normal. Ever look at the inside of your elbow? See any creases? It's normal & much the same thing where we (or they) bend.

It's normal in winter for humidity in our homes (& theirs) to be lower, largely due to our home heating & also that winter air outdoors is cold, & cold air holds less humidity to start with. You might try to bump up his humidity in winter (especially if you see any shedding issues) but I'm just saying not to get extreme about it. Wild boas are well adapted to some variations- they certainly don't have perfect conditions for much of the time. Some even think that having little or no variation may make snakes less resistant, health-wise- & that having "perfect conditions for 24/7" makes them more prone to RI or other infections. I can see both sides of this. Stress & other variants (genetics etc.) probably also play a part.

When I had a BCI for many years (who, btw, was always healthy, shed & ate well, & never bit me), she seemed to love being out. I say that in part because she was a real "rodeo" to get her back into her home. During that time, sometimes she was just nearby so I could keep an eye on her, but she also liked to snuggle around my waist while I watched movies- or in nice weather, I took walks outside, carrying her. She seemed quite comfortable with all of it.

Much depends on your own empathy & calm, reassuring handling skills- if your boa seems calm & comfortable, is healthy & eats well, I see nothing wrong with having her out (handled or not) for a couple hours. That's what I did too, though not daily. Note- in winter- when my house was on the chilly side (my home t-stat is set to 69-70*)- I provided a heating pad + my own body heat. It's still important that your snake isn't allowed to get too cold when out. When mine snuggled around me, I put a blanket around both of us to keep my heat in. If I thought she needed more, I added a heating pad. She was clearly very comfortable. And it sounds to me like yours 'enjoys' being out & handled too.

One caution: Mine would sit perfectly coiled on my bed while I went back & forth to another room, folding laundry, etc. But one day, after pretending to be a rock for a long time, when I was out of the room for not more than 5 minutes one time, she took off into my open dresser drawer to hide out. Snakes are very good at "hide & seek" (especially if your boa is a lot smaller than mine was). I had no trouble guessing where she went, & she even hissed up a storm at me when I had to take her out- she was so happy with her new "cave" & it was hilarious. So just be ready for that, and better yet- prevent yours from disappearing. Don't trust a snake to stay still, ever. They instinctively wait until they're not being watched- as if we are predators- before they take off.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-01-2023),EL-Ziggy (12-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    It depends. If you open her enclosure and she crawls out of her own accord, then I think it's great. If you're pulling her out of her enclosure, or even worse out, of her hide, then I don't think it's great. Because they are captives, I think it's healthiest to allow them as much control over their actions as you can.

My Children's python does this. He'll crawl out of his enclosure daily for a week or more. I don't handle him much on these excursions, just enough to protect him from harm. I think the exercise and mental stimulation is good for him.
    She doesn't move much inside her enclosure. It's heavily cluttered, temps are good, humidity is a bit lower right now, but she is hardly anywhere but her warm hide. I've found her perched on her cool side like twice in the months shes been in this enclosure. She just, isn't active. Even when shes out, she isn't tense, but she just sits. She'll get comfortable and then just stay in the same spot for hours. She hardly acknowledges my existence, unlike my younger snakes who will tense up or even hiss if I'm cleaning or just walk by. She just, doesn't care for anything but being fed. I've been a bit concerned by her lack of movement in the enclosure, and tried bumping temps and I got no change of behavior out of her. Her life would just consist of sitting, eating, and pooping if I didn't get her out for some more enrichment and socialization.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, some scale folding is normal. Ever look at the inside of your elbow? See any creases? It's normal & much the same thing where we (or they) bend.

It's normal in winter for humidity in our homes (& theirs) to be lower, largely due to our home heating & also that winter air outdoors is cold, & cold air holds less humidity to start with. You might try to bump up his humidity in winter (especially if you see any shedding issues) but I'm just saying not to get extreme about it. Wild boas are well adapted to some variations- they certainly don't have perfect conditions for much of the time. Some even think that having little or no variation may make snakes less resistant, health-wise- & that having "perfect conditions for 24/7" makes them more prone to RI or other infections. I can see both sides of this. Stress & other variants (genetics etc.) probably also play a part.

When I had a BCI for many years (who, btw, was always healthy, shed & ate well, & never bit me), she seemed to love being out. I say that in part because she was a real "rodeo" to get her back into her home. During that time, sometimes she was just nearby so I could keep an eye on her, but she also liked to snuggle around my waist while I watched movies- or in nice weather, I took walks outside, carrying her. She seemed quite comfortable with all of it.

Much depends on your own empathy & calm, reassuring handling skills- if your boa seems calm & comfortable, is healthy & eats well, I see nothing wrong with having her out (handled or not) for a couple hours. That's what I did too, though not daily. Note- in winter- when my house was on the chilly side (my home t-stat is set to 69-70*)- I provided a heating pad + my own body heat. It's still important that your snake isn't allowed to get too cold when out. When mine snuggled around me, I put a blanket around both of us to keep my heat in. If I thought she needed more, I added a heating pad. She was clearly very comfortable. And it sounds to me like yours 'enjoys' being out & handled too.

One caution: Mine would sit perfectly coiled on my bed while I went back & forth to another room, folding laundry, etc. But one day, after pretending to be a rock for a long time, when I was out of the room for not more than 5 minutes one time, she took off into my open dresser drawer to hide out. Snakes are very good at "hide & seek" (especially if your boa is a lot smaller than mine was). I had no trouble guessing where she went, & she even hissed up a storm at me when I had to take her out- she was so happy with her new "cave" & it was hilarious. So just be ready for that, and better yet- prevent yours from disappearing. Don't trust a snake to stay still, ever. They instinctively wait until they're not being watched- as if we are predators- before they take off.
    Alright! When she is out I keep a close eye on her, and if I'm moving around a lot i'll usually just let her sit on my shoulder which she does fine with. I do my best to handle her calmly, often moving slowly and letting her get settled in my hands when I am handling. She is always sure to find a good spot.

About the caution lol, I was doing a cleanout and change of water for my newest girl yesterday. I handled her shortly while getting some new paper towel in there, and then let her back in, directing her to her hide. I went to go grab the pitcher I use for their water bowls, only to find out she had crawled onto a whole different shelf and curled up around a bottle. She seemed content with this, so I cleaned out her water bowl and topped it off, along with misting to keep her humidity up. When I went to add her back, she was much more tense, and clearly reared up in an 's' pose. I guess she must have just gotten a little spooked by watching me work on her enclosure, and she struck at me (missing by a lot). She sure acted like she did NOT want to go back to her tub as I hooked her to move her back lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-01-2023 at 08:48 PM. Reason: fixed typo ("bowel" > bowl)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,188 Posts

Her life would just consist of sitting, eating, and pooping if I didn't get her out for some more enrichment and socialization.
    So, you're saying that you pull her out of the enclosure for exercise and enrichment because if you didn't she'd just sit there. In my limited experience as a keeper, that's hard for me to imagine. Both my ball python and my Children's python would take the opportunity to escape through an open door. Not always. Sometimes they'd stay put, but they'd both come out eventually. Maybe, you just need to be more patient.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Alright! When she is out I keep a close eye on her, and if I'm moving around a lot i'll usually just let her sit on my shoulder which she does fine with. I do my best to handle her calmly, often moving slowly and letting her get settled in my hands when I am handling. She is always sure to find a good spot.

About the caution lol, I was doing a cleanout and change of water for my newest girl yesterday. I handled her shortly while getting some new paper towel in there, and then let her back in, directing her to her hide. I went to go grab the pitcher I use for their water bowls, only to find out she had crawled onto a whole different shelf and curled up around a bottle. She seemed content with this, so I cleaned out her water bowl and topped it off, along with misting to keep her humidity up. When I went to add her back, she was much more tense, and clearly reared up in an 's' pose. I guess she must have just gotten a little spooked by watching me work on her enclosure, and she struck at me (missing by a lot). She sure acted like she did NOT want to go back to her tub as I hooked her to move her back lol.
    I find that when most snakes "lose touch with us" (ie. when we put them down, even though we're nearby) they often don't recognize us visually & may respond defensively as if we never met. Not to worry- it's normal- give them time to recognize you by your scent & touch & they normally settle right back down. Snakes are ruled by instincts- when we're just nearby, they often see us as potential predators rather than the person that just held them- they can't help it. I've seen it many times over the years, & with all kinds of snakes that were always docile when held. They just don't recognize us visually- it's not their best sense.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-02-2023)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast